Toronto Police Service

Toronto Police Service Employee Reviews

Canada117 reviews

policeofficerpubliccommunityservicerewardinglifeshift

Good Full-Time Summer Job for Students

Working with the Toronto Police Service was very unique as I got to work in one of the Police Divisions and follow along officers as they do their day to day job. I got to learn so much about Policing that this would be a great opportunity for those who are interested in Policing.

Pros

Learn about Policing overall, sometimes free lunches

Cons

Long hours can be tiring, but it makes sense as it is full time

Good team atmosphere

Definitely recommend a career with TPS. Any job that results in a pension is the way to go. Suggest joining as soon as possible. Be a team member and get to know your new family.

Pros

Pension and benefits

Cons

Not a lot of room for lateral movement.

Insights into Toronto Police Service

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Fair pay for job

Excellent organization great honest people.

Best career! Very proud to have work for the TPS!I continued policing in Vancouver for 27 years.Retired 2017.Best cops ever loved the city for Policing never a dull moment!

Pros

Exciting feel like you make a difference helping people and keeping them safe

Cons

Variable hours work holidays.

meh

Gets sketchy at night and the plae is not clean. With so many good burger places around, don't go there. Pay a bit more and go to 5 guys just one block away.

Not a fun place work.

Don’t work here. I wouldn’t do this job again. The public and management want to screw you. Your not praised what you do right, it’s when you make a mistake that is the only tangible. Management is stressed out ie Sgts, who hate their job and don’t support police Constables.

Pros

Helping the community

Cons

Your only as good as your last favour.

I felt useful at the end of the day.

Comfortable working hours. The weather can be nasty but I am have worked outdoors all my life.. The children were easily manageable. I could set my clock to their arrival and know fairly well when they are to be expected.

Pros

Good hours, weekends off

Cons

Winter weather

By the time I left I had form a strong bonding with all the Officers and Civilians I worked with.

Helps build a very knowledgeable understanding of law enforcement. Great opportunities for all.Enjoy all aspects of the jobsTeam work and also self initiative.Lots of different and great types of working environments for individuals with disabilities.Offers learning opportunities

Public Employee

You service the interests and concerns of the public and the city. Your reward comes from knowing that the public's needs are continually assessed and addressed. You're also well compensated.

Pros

Full Benefits

Cons

Your family may not always came first

Productive, Informative, Inspiring, Collaborative

The MHAAP initiative is truly inspiring work. The Toronto Police Service provides an essential service to our community for the betterment of all of Toronto. The collaboration is transparent and motivational. This Panel demonstrates the commitment for changes for the community by the Toronto Police Service. I am honoured to be apart of this.

Very poor management

Being a police officer i feel is the best way to serve and protect society. I loved being a police officer - it was a very rewarding and inspiring career. However management was horrible and the only to get promoted was to sell your soul and live a lie

Pros

Excellent inspirational career

Cons

Horrible management/corrupt

A fun work place with exercise room facility

TPS has fair pay organization which is competitive to private company. The management team is under reformed and IT strategy is being formed. More workers will need to be recruited for fulfilling the requirement.

Positive environment with influential people

Every day was a wonderful day, especially when it came to working with police officers. Everyone is very compassionate about their job and very friendly and always provided a positive and fun environment to work in.

Great teamwork

A typical day starts with a staff meeting or parade. previous shifts concerns discussed, priority functions and todays activities are discussed, equipment check, safety equipment and any concerns are discussed.

Excellent job

I worked 33 years 11 months with the Toronto Police service out of those years it was a very good time for learning and experiencing new challenges I would highly recommend this job for new people to join

Career advancement limited to the insiders pool only in ITS

If one is looking for a secure job and benefits then this place is ideal. On the contrary if one is looking forward to a rewarding career then it all depends on which side of the spectrum you belong. Promotions are given to the civilian management favorites only. Job calls are made tailor made to suit their qualifications and purposefully they are given acting positions for prolonged periods and that is entered as a mandatory requirement to even apply for those job calls. This is done to favor their own candidate and to make nobody apply for that job. Civilian management consists of people who have no qualifications nor certifications.

Pros

Dictatorial civilian ITS Management which practices nepotism and favoritism

Cons

Good benefits

Fast paced, stressful but rewarding

A career where you can effectively serve your community. Numerous opportunities for advancement to specialized policing functions; ie: Marine Unit, Traffic Services, Investigative Units, Undercover policing. Shift work and variable work schedules are a way of life. Compensation is fair, the pension is good and the job security is great.

Great IT community in TPS

I have the pleasure of working at TPS as a BSA and I find the IT environment interesting. My teammates were a pleasure to work with. There is a great deal of camaraderie and the IT team I've worked with are some of the friendliest and most supportive I've seen. The downside in TPS is the bureaucracy and the overhead they have to deal with to cover for auditability and grievance concerns. A lot of project cycles are wasted due to the large number of stakeholder consultations. This is given for public service organizations but frustrating for keeping project milestones on track.

All About the Division

Staff are military and expect that from even admin staff. Certain Divisions are great, supportive and friendly. Others, like 11 Division, was just toxic with no regard for mental well being. My first month there, an Officer took his life due to bullying from his Staff Sergeant. Be mindful and use your union rep!

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Room for Growth

Cons

Toxic

Great job

Just do your job the way you were trained too. Treat people like people, the bad people will stand out. Management can be beneficial . But public support is always wavering base usually on misinformation or lack of knowledge

Exciting and rewarding work. Every day is a new challenge.

I enjoyed my 37 years of service with the Toronto Police Force. I've always enjoyed helping people, and making a difference in the community. I also enjoy being tested and challenged every day it keeps me motivated.

Pros

Very rewarding.

Cons

Shift work and working most holidays.

Productive place where you learn alongside officers

A productive place where you learn alongside officers. they teach you some policing policies and some of the functions within the police cruiser. Very fun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement