Toronto Police Service

Toronto Police Service Employee Reviews

Canada112 reviews
The MHAAP initiative is truly inspiring work. The Toronto Police Service provides an essential service to our community for the betterment of all of Toronto. The collaboration is transparent and motivational. This Panel demonstrates the commitment for changes for the community by the Toronto Police Service. I am honoured to be apart of this.
Being a police officer i feel is the best way to serve and protect society. I loved being a police officer - it was a very rewarding and inspiring career. However management was horrible and the only to get promoted was to sell your soul and live a lie
Pros
Excellent inspirational career
Cons
Horrible management/corrupt
TPS has fair pay organization which is competitive to private company. The management team is under reformed and IT strategy is being formed. More workers will need to be recruited for fulfilling the requirement.
Every day was a wonderful day, especially when it came to working with police officers. Everyone is very compassionate about their job and very friendly and always provided a positive and fun environment to work in.
A typical day starts with a staff meeting or parade. previous shifts concerns discussed, priority functions and todays activities are discussed, equipment check, safety equipment and any concerns are discussed.
I worked 33 years 11 months with the Toronto Police service out of those years it was a very good time for learning and experiencing new challenges I would highly recommend this job for new people to join
It was a very fun place to work at and I hope I get a chance to work there again. The people are just marvelous and they care about one another so much and makes everyone feel welcomed.
If one is looking for a secure job and benefits then this place is ideal. On the contrary if one is looking forward to a rewarding career then it all depends on which side of the spectrum you belong. Promotions are given to the civilian management favorites only. Job calls are made tailor made to suit their qualifications and purposefully they are given acting positions for prolonged periods and that is entered as a mandatory requirement to even apply for those job calls. This is done to favor their own candidate and to make nobody apply for that job. Civilian management consists of people who have no qualifications nor certifications.
Pros
Dictatorial civilian ITS Management which practices nepotism and favoritism
Cons
Good benefits
A career where you can effectively serve your community. Numerous opportunities for advancement to specialized policing functions; ie: Marine Unit, Traffic Services, Investigative Units, Undercover policing. Shift work and variable work schedules are a way of life. Compensation is fair, the pension is good and the job security is great.
I have the pleasure of working at TPS as a BSA and I find the IT environment interesting. My teammates were a pleasure to work with. There is a great deal of camaraderie and the IT team I've worked with are some of the friendliest and most supportive I've seen.

The downside in TPS is the bureaucracy and the overhead they have to deal with to cover for auditability and grievance concerns. A lot of project cycles are wasted due to the large number of stakeholder consultations. This is given for public service organizations but frustrating for keeping project milestones on track.
Staff are military and expect that from even admin staff. Certain Divisions are great, supportive and friendly. Others, like 11 Division, was just toxic with no regard for mental well being. My first month there, an Officer took his life due to bullying from his Staff Sergeant. Be mindful and use your union rep!
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Room for Growth
Cons
Toxic
Just do your job the way you were trained too. Treat people like people, the bad people will stand out. Management can be beneficial . But public support is always wavering base usually on misinformation or lack of knowledge
I enjoyed my 37 years of service with the Toronto Police Force.
I've always enjoyed helping people, and making a difference in the community. I also enjoy being tested and challenged every day it keeps me motivated.
Pros
Very rewarding.
Cons
Shift work and working most holidays.
A productive place where you learn alongside officers. they teach you some policing policies and some of the functions within the police cruiser. Very fun
Answering all 911 emergency and non-emergency calls. Dispatching police to calls. Intense training program of on e year and on going training.
24/7 shift work. Extremely busy and highly stressful environment. Can be very rewarding. Pay and benefits are excellent. Amazing co-workers and camaraderie.
Everyone is very hard working. Great staff who really care about their work and positive outcomes. It is easy to get to by subway or Go train. There is no parking.
Met & interacted with people. Ample chance to serve the community. Enjoyed serving the kids, parents & elderlies. lots of chances to interact with teachers and other school staffs. A venue to exercise conflict resolution and problem solving process & a test of brinkmanship. A very gratifying job that spells no bounds.
I really loved my workplace, it had air conditioning, even though all the people around me were adults I still felt welcomed and had the best first job experience I ever had.
A typical Canadian government with the enterprise working environment - involved a lot of team work with good culture. However, its budget is affected by the government.
Pros
Weekly technical workshops allow people to share the information.
Cons
Not good place to use new technology particularly related to open sources.
if you have a desire to service the public and you understand that everyone counts, policing is for you. If you do not understand that policing is a way of life and that you are on a mission to protect and service, please stay away from policing.

Toronto Police Service provides many great opportunities to serve and to advance with hard work and dedication.
kept me working all day for the duration of the session. Never had nothing to do. Had a lot of fun also during my work period. I expect to repeat this event annually.