Toronto Police Service Employee Reviews

A good way for students to get references and experience.
Youth in Policing Initiative- YIPI Student (Former Employee) –  40 College St, Toronto, ON M5G 2J36 July 2019
Working for the Toronto Police is great. It shows the younger generation that the Police are more than just enforcing the law and arresting citizens. There is a lot about police officers I didn't know until I joined the Youth in Policing Initiative. I learned that they do community service, Social work and even like to teach stufents about the work place to prepare them for the future.

Students get to interact with police officers on a personal level and gaind hands-on job experience such graffiti removal, communtiy service events etc.
It's a good way to be familiarize yourself with what the Toronto Police does.
Pros
Looks good on Resumes and gain knowledge of police duties
Cons
Traveling
productive fun great teaching
Youth in Policing Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2019
When i did the yipi program with them it was the best expierence i ever had the people i worked with we very nice. We got to see alittle of different things and how they work
Decent place to work
Court Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2019
Co-workers are great. Salary and benefits are good. Shifts with family are hard to accommodate and transferring locations is always a possibility in court services.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
family/work life balance is awful
Excellent opportunities for personal development
Use of Force Police Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2019
10 hr days
Spent the days inspiring people
most enjoyable part of the day was teaching people and helping them achieve their goals.
Helping the organization reach its goals was also satisfying.
Pros
personal development, ability to teach and change mindsets
Cons
Career for some, not all
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2019
The TPS as it is now called after having gone through several name changes, using the words Police Force sounds too harsh let’s use a name that makes people feel all warm and fuzzy, is a vocation which requires a certain type of individual. Physical, emotional, personal qualities that make you a police officer are learned over time. Basics and fundamentals can be taught to anyone, but learning to use those skills effectively over decades takes commitment, dedication, and sacrifice. This is a long term career not a part time job or something interesting to do for a few years.
Getting prepared and getting hired are difficult. Once you are hired it is difficult to juggle family life with the job. It becomes difficult to sometimes cope with the things you see and experience. The shiny brochure says nothing about waiting hours for a coroner or body removal services to arrive at an apartment building in August to remove a deceased person that is rotting into their mattress. The sights are one thing. The smells are something you will never, ever, forget. It’s a culture all to its own. Some say that is bad. Others see it as a brotherhood of being able to rely on your peers for support. Support your family sometimes can’t give because they don’t understand. It’s not their fault, it’s just how it is. Overall law enforcement is rewarding. It’s more than handing out traffic tickets. It’s about making someone’s day a little better than it was.
Toronto is a large and diverse area. Opportunities are always there. Getting those can be a challenge sometimes as the processes are somewhat skewed
  more... depending on what type of niche has to be filled. Yes bias does exist on the police service, just like many other vocations. Another obstacle to deal with. Part of many as being a police officer.  less
Pros
Salary, benefits, rewarding career
Cons
Strain on family life, other interests are put aside, can be dangerous, and boring at times
great
Detective (Sergeant) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2018
Great job and it was rewarding , I loved dealing with the public, Toronto was a very diverse place to work. Customer service was my specialty.

Dealing with Crime patterns was very interesting.

Public relations.
Fun and beneficial learning environment
Youth In Policing Initiative (YIPI) Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2018
Depending on the season you are hired the YIPI is a great work place for making new friends, picking up skills, and learning! You get to learn about the city and learn to be more independent.
Pros
Feeling apart of a community
Cons
Commuting
Good
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2018
It was good for a contract to get experience. No possibility of becoming a full time position. Environmental is good, work load is well balanced. Expectation are not high.
Cons
Contract
Very fun and formative
Youth In Policing Initiative Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2018
Everyday at work was fun, and there were many TPS employees who offered support. I know that I can count on the Toronto police Service if I need to. The YIPI program is a great first job
great environment with friendly people
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2018
Everyone made my time there very welcoming. A typical day at work involved working in a office environment, answering phone calls, and working at different stations.
A very helpful environment
Records Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 April 2018
It is a good place to work in for me since I could use this opportunity for work experience. this is also beneficial for me since I plan on becoming a police officer.
very fun job
Youth In Policing Initiative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2018
I loved the summer job working for the Toronto police service. The best part of the job is definitely Rookie Ball. I met some very good friends working at this job.
Pros
rookie ball
Overall is good
Sr. BizTalk .Net Developer, Contract (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2018
Overall is good
A typical day starts at 9:00am and ends at 5:00pm. 7 hours per day working time. Tasks are assigned by supervisor. Need strict background checking, could include back to your middle school.
Excellent place to work at
Summer Job Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2018
By far the best job I have ever had. Excellent hard working men and women and you learn a lot about the police while on the job. The days went by super fast and going to work every day was something I looked forward to
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2018
Great place to work, great salary and benefits.
Long hours, rotating shifts.
Extra income available.
Great training.
Demanding on family life.
Management is doing a great job despite low morale.
atmosphere of police officers
youth in Policing Student (Former Employee) –  200 trethwey drive30 January 2018
The Toronto police service is a strong work base but due to the issues in society today, many people are afraid of them. but they're only human beings
Pros
money
Cons
very controversial people
Amazing place to work!
Administrative Clerk - Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2018
Toronto Police Service was hands down the best place I could possibly work. They were very flexible, and understanding. They train their new employees very well and are very kind.
Pros
Flexibility
Great place to have worked
police officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2018
The Toronto Police Service was a great place to work, The job was very challenging and I made many friends Its time for me to move on to a new chapter in life
Pros
Great wages
Cons
sometime very long hours
Loved the job
School Crossing Guard (Badge # 48228) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2018
Loved this job. Liked working outdoors and with children and parents. No working holidays. Great support from supervisor and other police officers. Close to home.
Pros
Set days and hours.
Cons
Working in rain and snow.
Typical Large City police service
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2017
Very typical for a large police service. Lots of politics but if you want to be a constable there is lots of jobs within the career. Pay is good and overtime is available