TORONTO LAWN TENNIS CLUB

TORONTO LAWN TENNIS CLUB Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
The people are great. The environment is great to work in. Management isn’t breathing down your neck. The pay is very poor though and the schedule and your role is constantly changing.
Pros
Free lunch meals, No management breathing down your neck, casual dress, friendly staff and members
Cons
No benefits, minimum wage pay, no set hours, unpredictable/constantly changing schedule, almost 0% opportunities for upward movement or full-time position, no parking
I loved working as a kids club attendant ...solely based on my boss , she was amazing! so supportive and understanding to personal issues and she truly fought for you when it came to management or issues within the Club. The funding was ridiculous , ran by a bunch of guys who could care less about children...you're in a basement all day which can be very tiring and bring down your mood. pay raises and bonuses were nice but its impossible to get out of part time and start receiving benefits and theres no room to grow.
Pros
free lunches and snacks, amazing boss
Cons
long hours, no funding, very strict, in a basement all day, hard to move up
The place is full of enthusiastic environment and people are there accessing the club from all the possible age groups which is such a nice view to see. The coworkers are friendly.
First check the hole scheduled of the day.Check breakfast parties (menu).Meetings ,where all the things like monitor and projectors are working.On the table is everything like water with water glasses,napkins and pencils and note books.Talk to the servers if everything is ready and nothing is missing. Check for the days ahead
like Big functions (weekends).Prepare the scheduled for all the servers.preparing the room with tables,table cloths,chairs. Check all updates after lunch and in the end of the day.In the end of the day check all the rooms and the kitchen to be clean..When You have a weeding, birthday, Christmas ...Party,first I have to divide the servers in groups.One group for cutlery, one to check plates,preparing napkins.one group for all glasses(water/wine/Champlain).After all the set up meeting about the menu of the day the specials meals.What time the receptions stars.The ceremony..When the first course start,

main course ,desert, sweet table.coffee and tea.Check always with

people that are in charge. In the end of the day we have to leave the room ready for the next day or party.
Cons
Long Hours
Ultimately a good place to work. Depending on the department you work, chances for advancement are there. Pay is generally better then most place, and acknowledged a lot for hard work done.
Pros
Flexible Schedules, room for advancement
Cons
Some members can be rather difficult sometimes
The food and beverage managers here can be difficult at times to deal with.They are not accommodating at all and make you feel like you are worthless. They give you problems if someone tells you to do something and you are doing it and then another manager asks you and they get mad if you are busy.
Pros
Free Staff Meal evey shift
Cons
Terrible managers
The shifts were a good length and consistent. The work is hard but not unmanageable. No tips, even for serving a large table for hours- that part sucked. The staff is fun and helpful, management is confusing at times but the management team is comprised of kind, intelligent people that generally have your best interests at heart.
Pros
Free meals and paid breaks
Straight forward daily tasks. The work is not stressful and the activities are fun to do. It taught me the how to pass on what I have learned to other people.
I worked here for about 6 months! Thankful to not have to be here anymore! Saw them fire people that have been there for decades and members are always yelling at you daily like you are a peasant servant. Such a childish social environment. Lower level staff does all the work! There are leaks everywhere and mold when it rains yuck. I was there for under a year and there were 3 bed bug infestations in the staff room.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Bad environment
Horrible tense high school drama atmosphere.
People are fired every other day. My manager showed up at 11 and left at 3 everyday but would complain about lateness of others. I was asked to look into another employees personal background off the record to make sure they were not lying about education. Lots of favoritism. Some employees getting their clothing paid for or school materials because they were favorites. I felt like I was working in a gossipy middle school with the catty cool kids getting all the good grades.
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Management, favouritism
The Toronto Lawn Tennis Club is an amazing place to work. Evidence for this is the number of staff who have been employed for 10, 20 plus years. Senior Managers are extremely professional and have many years experience in the club and hospitality industry. It is a great learning environment, as managers are willing to train extensively and share knowledge. Above all, the members make it a truly special place to work as they are loyal and appreciate when service is delivered to the high standards they have come to expect.

Certainly not the place to work if you don't want to work or if someone doesn't want to excel. Merit is rewarded and sub-standard staff won't last long.
Pros
Warm, friendly environment with inspiring leadership
Cons
late hours at times
The food is stunning, the chef was great.
The sous Chef was the most arrogant rude condescending person I have ever worked with in many years.

I felt disliked from the moment I waked in the door as He wasnt comfortable with women and let me know it loud and clear, and I ended up quitting because it is impossible to work in a place where you are set up to fail daily

Good Luck
Pros
clean space to work
Cons
hours, work environment
Working at the Lawn as a server there's never a dull moment. Whether you're working in the busy cafe, the fine dining Bistro or at a large function there is always something going on. Management were excellent, they were always willing to help and give you guidance, you truly feel looked after by them. They take care of their staff and really get to know you. You can have just as much fun during the day with management as you can with your colleagues! You learn a lot about customer service, the hospitality industry and so much more.
very enjoyable job, great co-workers and it is stress free.

Recommend it if your in the position to apply for it

only negatives are the long hours, or the labour
Pros
pay
Cons
This job helped in improving my customer service skills as that was my main responsibility. The hardest part of the job would be to deal with the complaints and develop strategies to appeal to their wants and needs. This taught me how to come up with solutions to problems on the spot that would benefit everyone. My co-workers are some of the greatest people I know, which makes it the most enjoyable part of going to work.
A day began with retrieving and replying to voicemails and emails which would then lead to booking new events or updating current booked events. I would take time to make changes to events sheets around the club. During lunch hours I was required to manage the café and serve the membership usually for a couple hours. Once returned to the office I would go through any invoicing and reply again to any emails or missed calls. During busy months of the year I would then be required at night to manage all events this would include, managing the staff, setting up and tearing down rooms, closing the club, ensuring the next days functions were prepared. I gained a great understanding of customer service, MS Office & Jonas Systems, Managing staff and coworkers and learned to organise and problem solve in difficult situations.

The management of the club were respectful and helpful when I first began work as the event coordinator, if I ever had any questions or needed extra help on large events they were usually available to take part. My coworkers were fun and highly motivated which made working the long hours during events a pleasure.

The job entailed working on new sometimes extremely complicated events or multiple events each day during the busy seasons. As I was the only one working in the events and catering department it took a great deal of time and energy which could be draining, though still challenging and fun. I enjoy putting my mind to complicated tasks and being able to organise and execute any given day successfully.

After working on an event that has
 - more...
Pros
free lunch/dinner, bonus twice per year
Cons
A typical date at work involves constant interation with members. Answering accurate questions in regards to current and upcoming events, socials, membership and account status. Being accurate when relaying messages and changes is a must as one incorrect information has the power to cause confusion in as little as 3 seconds in our club.

I have learnt so many things. Ive learnt how to be nice yet firm and strong at the same time so that rules are not being bent or disobeyed. I always knew the importance of being a good team player but my experience here has thought me how to be not just good but exceptional.

My most enjoyable part of the job have to say is being able to help the members in thier inquiries and needs. Whenever there is a satisfied look on their faces; it made me in return feel satisfied.
Pros
free lunch and benefits
Cons
the fact that my shifts were night shifts