TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY Employee Reviews

Fun work/volunteer place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2014
At first they trained me on how answer phone calls, greet people at the front, and handle donation drop offs. Most days I would be taking care of the animals with other staff at the adoption center, i.e - feeding, playing, grooming the animals, greeting and making sure the adopters are perfect candidates for the animals.
You never know what to expect
Employee (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2013
Fast paced, physically and emotionally demanding work, but very rewarding.
Pros
helping people and animals
Cons
lack or support and resources
For Animal Lovers
Facility Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2013
It's a rewording job when you get to know some of the animal and their backstories. You see how much you have helped them, even in the smallest ways. When they find home thats when you know you have done a good and profound job.
the hardest part of the job
Assistant Veterinarian Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2013
I was the newest employee to the humane society before OSPCA took it over. The humane society being shut down in my first week of working wasn't the easiest thing for me. My supervisors, president, and some technicians were all replaced by volunteers and OSPCA workers. Learning the negative about your job can make you go in one way or the other. I chose to follow the route that was in the best interest of all the animals and staff. As a result, quickly uniting everyone as a team.
Pros
free lunch, great learning enviorment
Cons
many changes in amount job responsibility, long commute
lowest of the low
HaH! (Former Employee) –  toronto, on10 February 2013
can't disagree with the existing review. too many great employees turfed for no reason.
Pros
the mission
Cons
the fact that sr. administration is only in it for the money
Toxic Work Environment
whipping boy (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2013
Incompetent management, devious and dishonest senior administration, uneducated and easily manipulated board president. Poisonous work atmosphere in every department. I learned that the only way to get treated well here is to be a sycophant. Hardest part of the job was to deal with the lack of communication, which seemed deliberate. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with the animals every day.
Pros
caring for the animals
Cons
long hours, atmosphere of mistrust, poor benefits.