TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY Employee Review

View all TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY reviews

Used to be a nice place to work
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2016
I used to really love working at the humane society. The pay was not great but, the work itself was rewarding. The organization was very committed to animals and animal issues. However, there was always a number of people that were not there for the animals. They had high school mentalities and were more concerned with their status and their popularity. They also had a really nasty sense of entitlement that their skills and education did not backup. As a result they were always causing senseless problems that the people who cared about the organization and the animals needed to deal with.
Needless to say the people used the long standing feud between the Toronto Humane Society and the OSPCA to take over. They made the place into a charity pet shop and continued fighting with each other constantly. Its a real shame and I can't recommend working there. You will end up catering to people with a high school mentality and the pursuit of their personal interests.
Pros
At this point none.
Cons
Long hours, doing the job of people more concerned with their own interests, workplace politics are ridiculous.

Other TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY Employee Reviews

Hard work but worth it
Animal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2019
They do a lot of amazing work for the animals in their care and in the community. Every time I go back they have always made improvements. You deal with some nonsense but I have never encountered a workplace free of nonsense.
Pros
True dedication to the animals
Cons
Some grumpy co-workers
Garbage management and supervisors
ACW (Former Employee) –  Toronto Humane Society15 January 2019
have worked here for years. Current manager has had zero schooling in animal care and was fired from the only animal related job they've had. Supervisors aren't trained to do anything and spend most of their day sitting in an office talking with fellows supervisors or the manager. If you talk to a supervisor about getting off their phone and helping they will most likely go crying to management who will defend them. Good luck finding a supervisor or manager if you need one as they are most likely outside smoking or have gone to the nearest Tim Hortons. In my time there I have done many unsafe things outside of my job description and would be talked down to if I refused. Management and supervision deny going outside to smoke no matter how often they are seen and have been seen taking as many as six within a few hour period. The only time management does anything with the animals is if a camera is present and they make sure all of the hard working ACW's are nowhere insight. ACW's are forced to keep dogs outside in any weather conditions for over an hour at all times of the year or even if the dog has heartworm. Absolutely disgusting place to work ran and supervised by absolutely disgusting people.
Pros
awesome ACW's
Cons
Stunned Management and Supervisors