TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY

TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY Employee Reviews

Canada40 reviews
Unreasonable Expectations from Unhelpful Management
I really loved this job because it’s so rewarding however when they hired me they were supposed to be a minimum of 2 overnight ACWs but it was only me. I was the only human in the whole building from 8PM till 7:30AM. The duties of two people were already overwhelming but then there was an influx of kittens who required syringe feeding. It takes about 15 minutes to warm the formula, draw enough of it, safely feed the kitten, and the record the details for ONE KITTEN There were usually 4-5 that needed feeding so with barely enough time to finish my usual work kid I had over an hour eaten up by feeding the kittens
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Unhelpful management, impossible expectations of new poorly trained employees
Honest Review
Do not recommend for a place of employment. Management lacks on a day to day basis. Animals are not there 1st priority as they claim. I haven’t had to write a negative review regarding a work place but there is a 1st time for everything.
better to volunteer
Management does not care about you, but will try to tell you they do. Their appearance to the public is of utmost importance- this trumps the actual animal welfare. Communication issues are rampant, cuts come from everywhere except higher ups. Good workers leave constantly because management is so stuck in their old ways and would rather not budge to change things to help anything to keep a hard worker. The whole place is way too top heavy.
Great Cause, Always Improving
As an employee at THS I would absolutely recommend working here to anyone who wants to work for a great cause. The environment has its challenges, some days really fast and overwhelming, and some days just moderately fast. All of the staff and management are devoted and work hard, however, the volume and workload can often put groups of people at odds. I have seen a change in supervisors and their approach over the past 1-2 years and can see how much everyone cares. Its a hard go, but we are working against a big hill. Animals lives depend on us; our volunteers and staff, and changing the world and the lives of animals isnt an easy task - it can leave us hurting but also over-joyed. The culture needs work but it is improving and cooperation between management and staff is visibly changing.
Fun and Freaking Amazing
I absolutely without a doubt loved working here with a great team. Best part was seeing the animals every time I went into my shift. Yes it may have been a little tricky when I started but I caught on quickly. Would highly recommend someone to work here.
Toxic Management and Workplace Culture
People here are miserable. Nepotism and favouritism runs rampant. Management and HR allow toxic environment to go unchecked and without change because chronic issues are all stemming from the top. Inappropriate relationships between management and other staff and bullying / attempting to step on others in order to “get ahead” is rewarded with “promotions” while speaking up about bullying and the toxic culture promoted by internal politics gets staff reprimanded and / or fired.
Great job; horrible management
I had a horrible 3 years working at the Toronto humane society. Management was horrible and back stabbing. They promise advancement in the workplace and say they are going to help but they don’t. If you value your mental health you will not work there. I developed anxiety disorder from working there. The job is very rewarding and pretty awesome! I loved the job but again management sucks in all aspects.
Rewarding job, terrible management
I loved the work I did at THS, I found the work beyond rewarding, working towards getting animals adopted and into a home. The management was awful! I was nervous to speak up about any issues I was having with the job. ACWs were the lowest job in the building even though we were the ones working closely with the animals day to day
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY?
Truly amazing care of the animals. Physically challenging, micromanagement & low pay
Very physically challenging work and sometimes frustrating lack of communication, but the animals you're caring for make it worth it. The dedication & hard work of most of THS's lower-level staff shows and they truly love the animals. They sincerely want what's best for them Don't work here if you ha fragile ego.Despite this, people feel devalued, unrecognized, dispensible and If you can get by the organizational politics, being micromanaged and treated like you're at the bottom of the latter by almost everyone except for the animal Care workers.
Canine enrichment volunteer
Management is top notch. Dogs are well kept. Staff is always helping with a smiling face. Great opportunity to learn about dogs and level up with time.
Charitable Animal Shelter, a rewarding place to work at.
An amazing place to work at with animals around you. It is nice to see that people work for the love of animals more than the money. The management is accessible and are focused on improving the work environment for employees on a daily basis. I have worked for many Organizations but the experience of working at Toronto Humane Society (THS) is beyond comparison. I would recommend THS as a place to work at.
Exploits new staff - not ideal for actual animal lovers
THS exploits new staff by throwing new staff in with limited training and allowing appointments to show up whenever causing you to leave late every day. Then questions why you're leaving late to deduct overtime. HR also handles sexism and racism poorly. The organization doesn't respect minorities. There were a far too many poor taste comments and racial slurs thrown around and HR and management blew it off. Not minority friendly at all. You're provided an hour lunch paid but rarely get to use it. Poor scheduling results in daily missed lunches. The workload isn't difficult but you'll find yourself constantly fixing yesterday's staffs mistakes when your week starts. Nobody has Saturday and Sunday off , each Agent's week is like Sunday-Thursday or Wednesday - Sunday. If you really enjoy working with animals, work somewhere else. Those poor taste comments I mentioned? Yeah, a lot of them involved hearing jokes about animals going to be euthanized or comparing groups of people to animals being euthanized. It's a low kill not a no kill shelter in case you didn't know.
Pros
being around animals
Cons
unpredictable schedule, poor management
Go if you like the animals
If you want to work at a shelter, by all means give it a try. I highly recommend that you come as an experienced technician and prepare yourself for the interesting work culture. No one will talk to you for the first little while and unless you are a rockstar, probably not encourage you either. If you are looking for a place to learn and grow, I would steer clear.
Pros
They go above and beyond for the animals, they have a lot of great outreach programs
Cons
They will play mind games with you, lie about your benefits, and generally ignore you when you start out
Hard work but worth it
They do a lot of amazing work for the animals in their care and in the community. Every time I go back they have always made improvements. You deal with some nonsense but I have never encountered a workplace free of nonsense.
Pros
True dedication to the animals
Cons
Some grumpy co-workers
Garbage management and supervisors
have worked here for years. Current manager has had zero schooling in animal care and was fired from the only animal related job they've had. Supervisors aren't trained to do anything and spend most of their day sitting in an office talking with fellows supervisors or the manager. If you talk to a supervisor about getting off their phone and helping they will most likely go crying to management who will defend them. Good luck finding a supervisor or manager if you need one as they are most likely outside smoking or have gone to the nearest Tim Hortons. In my time there I have done many unsafe things outside of my job description and would be talked down to if I refused. Management and supervision deny going outside to smoke no matter how often they are seen and have been seen taking as many as six within a few hour period. The only time management does anything with the animals is if a camera is present and they make sure all of the hard working ACW's are nowhere insight. ACW's are forced to keep dogs outside in any weather conditions for over an hour at all times of the year or even if the dog has heartworm. Absolutely disgusting place to work ran and supervised by absolutely disgusting people.
Pros
awesome ACW's
Cons
Stunned Management and Supervisors
Unsafe working conditions; unqualified management
The front-line people who work with the animals care a lot, and generally do good work. Anyone in a supervisory position, including managers and executives, are focused on the wrong things: manipulating intake/adoption records to show "success" and keep donations up, farming out problem dogs to other rescue services, re-adopting the same animal multiple times, without ever disclosing its bite history. Unsafe work and adoption practices leave employees and adoptive families in vulnerable positions. The THS could and should do so much better.
Pros
Spending your days with animals
Cons
Screwed up priorities; about numbers, records and donations, and not the actual animals and people they're supposed to help.
My second home, fiercely loyal to the cause and the dogs
All workplaces have their ups and downs, and nothing will ever be perfect, however THS is continually striving to improve all aspects of their operations, self examining and taking into account more than ever the needs of their employees and the animals. My time at THS has been one of the most enriching, educational, and emotional experiences of my life. Worth every second, even the difficult ones. A most unique and cherished opportunity.
Pros
Learning opportunities, hard working people, some upper management really great, friendship and comradery, learning from the animals
Cons
Emotional burnout
Excellent work environment
I greatly enjoyed my experience at the THS. Although the work was dirty and tiring, it was rewarding. My coworkers created a fun work environment. Personally, the job was not for me, but if you are passionate about animal care and understand that it is NOT a clean job, try it out, its a great experience.
Negative experience with Supervisors, Positive experience with Job
Management at the Toronto Humane Society was horrible because they put their personal feelings that they held of their employees before the employees quality of work, thus ending my career in a place I loved so very much.
Inefficient Management
Management is very slow at executing change. The internal structure also does not allow management to be reported to any higher level of management. Nobody ever sees the board of directors. There is very little to no effective training within this organization,
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Poor Management
Working at THS
Let me start by saying that I absolutely loved working at the Toronto Humane Society! I was a part-time Adoption Counselor. I got along very well with all of my coworkers. My manager was one of the best that I ever had... always understanding and thoughtful, and great at training! I was very sad to leave my position there due to me moving out of the province. I will miss everything about this place, especially the animals!! I would recommend the Toronto Humane Society to anyone for a place of work.