TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY Employee Reviews

Garbage management and supervisors
ACW (Former Employee) –  Toronto Humane Society15 January 2019
have worked here for years. Current manager has had zero schooling in animal care and was fired from the only animal related job they've had. Supervisors aren't trained to do anything and spend most of their day sitting in an office talking with fellows supervisors or the manager. If you talk to a supervisor about getting off their phone and helping they will most likely go crying to management who will defend them. Good luck finding a supervisor or manager if you need one as they are most likely outside smoking or have gone to the nearest Tim Hortons. In my time there I have done many unsafe things outside of my job description and would be talked down to if I refused. Management and supervision deny going outside to smoke no matter how often they are seen and have been seen taking as many as six within a few hour period. The only time management does anything with the animals is if a camera is present and they make sure all of the hard working ACW's are nowhere insight. ACW's are forced to keep dogs outside in any weather conditions for over an hour at all times of the year or even if the dog has heartworm. Absolutely disgusting place to work ran and supervised by absolutely disgusting people.
Pros
awesome ACW's
Cons
Stunned Management and Supervisors
Unsafe working conditions; unqualified management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2018
The front-line people who work with the animals care a lot, and generally do good work. Anyone in a supervisory position, including managers and executives, are focused on the wrong things: manipulating intake/adoption records to show "success" and keep donations up, farming out problem dogs to other rescue services, re-adopting the same animal multiple times, without ever disclosing its bite history. Unsafe work and adoption practices leave employees and adoptive families in vulnerable positions. The THS could and should do so much better.
Pros
Spending your days with animals
Cons
Screwed up priorities; about numbers, records and donations, and not the actual animals and people they're supposed to help.
Excellent work environment
Animal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2018
I greatly enjoyed my experience at the THS. Although the work was dirty and tiring, it was rewarding. My coworkers created a fun work environment. Personally, the job was not for me, but if you are passionate about animal care and understand that it is NOT a clean job, try it out, its a great experience.
Negative experience with Supervisors, Positive experience with Job
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2018
Management at the Toronto Humane Society was horrible because they put their personal feelings that they held of their employees before the employees quality of work, thus ending my career in a place I loved so very much.
Inefficient Management
Toronto Humane Society (Current Employee) –  Toronto Humane Society23 May 2018
Management is very slow at executing change. The internal structure also does not allow management to be reported to any higher level of management. Nobody ever sees the board of directors. There is very little to no effective training within this organization,
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Poor Management
Working at THS
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto Humane Society9 May 2018
Let me start by saying that I absolutely loved working at the Toronto Humane Society! I was a part-time Adoption Counselor. I got along very well with all of my coworkers. My manager was one of the best that I ever had... always understanding and thoughtful, and great at training! I was very sad to leave my position there due to me moving out of the province. I will miss everything about this place, especially the animals!! I would recommend the Toronto Humane Society to anyone for a place of work.
Very satisfying experience.
Weekly volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
As a volunteer I find my time at THS very fulfilling, therapeutic and fun. Great bunch of employees and fellow volunteers. Enhances and enriches my life.
Pros
Interacting with animals
Extremely Toxic Workplace!
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2018
I was extremely disappointed with my experience here at the THS. Probably the most miserable group of workers I have seen. On my first day every worker pretty much told me to run. The managers are extremely condescending and I felt like dirt the whole time I worked there. Everyone seems to be extremely over worked, under paid and not appreciated. It's an absolute shame. Coming on here and reading so many reviews saying the same thing was not surprising at all.
Pros
working with the amazing animals there
Cons
management, work place bullying, WAY too much gossip, burnt out workers
Toxic work environment
Clinic Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Upper management need to be more empathetic towards entry level employees. Very stressful work environment which is always short stuffed. The call center was actually a closet with not so great ventilation can he very hot or freezing cold. The insurance for entry level employees doesn't cover much.
Pros
One hour paid break
Cons
Micro management
Incompetent, unprofessional, and nepotistic management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2018
I wish there was a “0 stars” option for management. :) The environment for employees here is awful, it’s nepotistic (the people in management have NO adequate experience) and management is extremely condescending and constantly belittles the employees. It’s really a shame, because THS has turned into an organization where good people turn bitter (thanks to, you guessed it, management).
Pros
Working with animals, paid lunches
Cons
Management, management, but also... management.
Easy temporary job
Mega Adoption Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2017
Note that this was a volunteer position, not a paid position.
After an orientation session and a setup period, the job was simple: move carriers, make sure cats were fed and watered, and on the event days, interview and fill out forms with potential adopters. It was also fairly simple: lots of coworkers, but constant communication was not necessary.
However, there was extra work available: dogs were adopted on the first day, but carrier breakdown was scheduled for the last day. Employees were asked if they wanted to help out and were not pressed or punished for refusing as it was not in their job description.
Pros
Animals, free lunch, simple job
Cons
Temporary job, no upward growth
loves the animals
Animal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2017
I did work here before they went government and it was a bit tough. We were lacking staff at the time and i actually stayed after my shift daily with no pay, my choice, to ensure that all the cats got fed and changed. The management at the time did not apply the best value to the facility i am glad to know that they are run by the government now. Its so important to have places like this and in the downtown core its so accessible.
Cat Cuddling
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2017
I do not like cats, however, it was a good experience in responsibility as the humane society holds you accountable to the time slots you have chosen to be there for the animals.
Worked with animals in a team of cooperative coworkers.
Animal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  11 River st. Toronto ON26 January 2017
A typical day at the THS started with feeding the animals (dogs or cats) and cleaning their living spaces in time for the shelter to open to the public. The rest of the day was spent walking dogs, doing laundry, washing dishes, and maintaining the general cleanliness of our working environment.
Pros
Animals
Terrible management of good people doing a hard job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
No one works here for the pay (with the exception of upper management of course). Animal Care Workers who do some of the toughest "in the trenches" work are earning barely above minimum wage. The people who choose to work here are doing so because they want to help animals and make a difference. Yet, the management treat these staff members with barely disguised contempt. Micromanagement and childish, backstabbing atmosphere.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
terrible pay, worse management, toxic environment
Used to be a nice place to work
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2016
I used to really love working at the humane society. The pay was not great but, the work itself was rewarding. The organization was very committed to animals and animal issues. However, there was always a number of people that were not there for the animals. They had high school mentalities and were more concerned with their status and their popularity. They also had a really nasty sense of entitlement that their skills and education did not backup. As a result they were always causing senseless problems that the people who cared about the organization and the animals needed to deal with.
Needless to say the people used the long standing feud between the Toronto Humane Society and the OSPCA to take over. They made the place into a charity pet shop and continued fighting with each other constantly. Its a real shame and I can't recommend working there. You will end up catering to people with a high school mentality and the pursuit of their personal interests.
Pros
At this point none.
Cons
Long hours, doing the job of people more concerned with their own interests, workplace politics are ridiculous.
Great people doing a tough job to make the world a better place.
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2015
Great people doing a tough job to make the world a better place.
The work is tough but the pay off when those animals go home is amazing
i played with the cats
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2015
i would come in and wonder from cage to cage spending time with the cats young and old. i would brush cats and change their litter
Pros
cute lovely cats
Cons
sometime the cats would take swipes at me
Productive and much needed shelter for animals.
Special Species Adoption Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2014
I have learned alot about how we should really behave around animals. Sadly I have also learned how people treat animals and why they need the attention and refuge in places like the Humane Society.
Through this business I have advanced my people skills, computer systems knowledge and my overall eduction on domesticated animals.
Pros
Paid lunch break
Cons
Late Hours
Fun work/volunteer place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2014
At first they trained me on how answer phone calls, greet people at the front, and handle donation drop offs. Most days I would be taking care of the animals with other staff at the adoption center, i.e - feeding, playing, grooming the animals, greeting and making sure the adopters are perfect candidates for the animals.