Toronto Film School

Toronto Film School Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
basic
Attended this school for Interior Design obtained Bachelor's Degree teachers are great subjects are great however school lacks luster for Design although they teach Design
Une bonne école
Toronto Film School couvre l’ensemble des disciplines de l’audiovisuel. C'est très stimulant d’évoluer sur place.
Aggressive Culture
Long hours of contacting, leads generated by aggregators (not organically)
Great for those that enjoy daily challenges and dealing with a variety of personality types

Management is disconnected from what is needed for an employee to be successful and will always place the blame on the employee before internally reviewing its practices

Aggressive targets with a bonus structure that will not be presented to the employee until a month before the start of term, ignore the clear issues that all employees notice and refuse to take advice

There is no internal hiring, they will always outside hire before allowing an employee to advance (tell you you are too valuable to let go)

The employees are all in the same boat so some are amazing and others see everyone as competitions so be prepared for that type of environment even from other programs
Film School
Toronto Film School. Has several different film and fashion based programs. A great place to gain education in film and film related industries. Great school.
Lots of work for little reward
Dont expect to work 40 hours a week and make any money.

Many late days, very stressful performance reviews that do not reflect the difficulty of converting basically cold leads.

No work culture or team building, departments are disjointed and do not communicate well with each other.

Benefits are very basic (health/dental) and they offer no perks (not even a water cooler or coffee)

No added vacation - 10 days only unless you get promoted and you are only allowed to take it 25 weeks of the year as the other 27 are "Blackout dates"

No raises, the opposite actually because of the high rate of turn around they always have a large number of staff which divides potential students even more. Commissions structures are set to avoid fair compensation ( only 1 or 2 advisors hit 100% their goal frequently as they recieve special treatment)
Pros
Decent Bonus Structure
Cons
Cold leads, Very below average benefits, No work culture
Progressive and Fun
Cool programs, not your typical private career college
Growing Fast, large teams

many campus locations

opportunity for growth

helpful to be entrepreneurial
Lots of opportunity for growth
I worked for this company for almost 5 years, and I wouldn’t be where I am today professionally and personally without them. Management cares about their teams, their development and providing opportunity for growth. Within my tenure I was promoted three times for example. The training has completely changed with it now being 4 weeks and with lots of opportunities to learn, practice and perfect. As a admissions advisor it is a truly rewarding career, as you are helping students change their lives and pursuing their passion. TFS Has quadrupled in size since I first started, and is only exponentially growing. In admissions you have a lot of independence to manage your student files, however you are still held accountable to insure you are connecting with all of your students. Working with everyone is absolutely amazing and sometimes doesn’t even feel like work! The company is working hard at creating a great culture for example by putting on events such as attending the raptors parade, food drinks and billiards, line dancing, guest speakers, after work drinks, yoga balls, and lots of cake to celebrate everything thing from birthdays to hitting your first milestone etc.
Cons
With the company growing so quickly, at times its hard to keep up.
Worst admissions job ever
Stay very far away from this place.

Unreachable sales targets (they do this on purpose so you don't get paid out, but upper management still gets paid on commissions)

How it works:

Each term(every 3 months) you will be given a target. If you don't hit 50% of your target, you don't get paid out. You also have to make sure all your students stay in the program for 3 weeks, which means calling them everyday and making sure they attend all classes. If your student miss classes, you don't get paid for them. Its a long disorganized process of admissions, acceptance, and staying in the program. Horrible sales training. They don't understand how to manage a team. The worst leaders. They would harass and embarrass employees in front of the team. They do 1-1 meetings with you once a week, and if you are doing poorly they will put pressure on you, instead of helping out. They will keep you around to do the grunt work while other advisers profit from that. The salary is not worth it: Be prepared to make 100 calls, hold 2/3 meetings with potential students, plus a tour A DAY! They will ask you stay late, and commit to the job to get more enrolls- but don't drink the kool-aid. (no over time BTW).

OVERALL: You have to make over 500 calls/book 20 interviews/ hold 15 meetings with potential students and secure 3 enrolls A WEEK. You will have to put pressure on students just to get an app/fee in. Very disorganized and very unprofessional. No way of climbing up the cooperate ladder. Waist of time, not worth it at all. So many better opportunities out there.

DO NOT WAIST YOUR
 - more...
Pros
The school has amazing programs, and industry professionals.
Cons
The admissions team needs a new director of admissions
Lots of Work, Low Reward
Huge turn over, majority of employees (other than a few that are given special treatment) have been here less than 1 year. I dont recommend this place at all.
Cons
Good place to learn sales
I was in admissions department. There is a lot to learn and the sales training has been improved. The Northern campus is in a poor state of condition thus the high tuition fees do not justify the spend. Hard sell for this one. The advisors are friendly and good team. Management does not support advancement and the pay structure changes and is becoming lower and lower for commissions every 6 months. The workload increases while the expectations and pay stay the same. Good place as a first sales job but not for the long term.
Pros
Friendly admissions staff
Cons
Increasing work load, cut in commissions, aging infrastructure
Fun
- Working here is great specially if you like 3D and animation, my experience with the teachers was awesome so as the principal.
- If you really want to know something teach students and you will really learn.
Pros
Awesome environment, access to all sorts of resources and software
Worst work experience ever
I worked in IT department (which we were just 2 coworkers!). I can say I worked very hard for them and they used me to do lots of projects with minimum range of salary.IT manager is a very young aggressive guy without any knowledge of programming which even he doesn't know about the logic of projects that he gives!,Definitely not recommended for workplace and I suggest to take your knowledge somewhere that can help you grow and gain more programming knowledge.
Worked as a Admissions Assistant while Studying
I had a hard time studying and working at the same. The course was intensive, and the staff understood that I was studying. The workplace was catered to the situation I was in, and it wasn't the best workplace, but it worked for getting by in college. I am highly appreciative.
Fun, creative environment
It was a great place to be. I was only on contract - as I was working on one specific production (The Laramie Project) and once it was over so was my contract. It was an amazing experience and everyone was really supportive and great. I was thankful to be a part of it.
Great place to learn transferable skills
The Toronto Film school was a great learning experience, it was rewarding working with brilliant, creative, and skilled full minds. it was good to see that there are creative programs for creative people.
A small way to make cash
While I was mostly at the desk and running errands, it was still a fun place to work during my school time there. I managed to get a lot of extra work done. Hiring student emplyees is just one of the ways it helps students.
Student
The school provided a lot of hands on and ideal training for Editors. It was a great experience
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Film School. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7