Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
4.0Pay & benefits

Nice to work around children

Takes time to learn the different aspects of the job requirement but once you understand its easy. It involves just more that cleaning to be exact.

Pros

Sick days and vacations

Cons

Handling incidates

A great place to work in my candid opinion.

My direct Manager plays very vital roles in reaching my evaluations in general. Over all, a wonderful employer as a whole. Job security, good compensation and pension. You are given respect and recognised what you went to school to study plus professional experience. I will recommend this employer anytime and any day to anyone.

Pros

Good compensation. Solid union group.

Cons

I am not aware of any at this time.

Straight forward

Pretty straight forward tasks to complete at steady pace. No over the shoulder supervision which allows you to work in a stress free environment. Mostly working alone but sometimes working with others during the summer break

Hit & miss on positive experience dependent on school location and the school administrator(s).

Challenging work place. Lack of support from administration. Hit and miss depending on school assignment & school administrator. Difficult to change schools & assignments. Work/life balance almost non-existent. Always lacking reasonable resources to effectively get the job done. Insufficient benefits coverage for the demands of the job.. Most interactions with HR are chaos lacking the “human” in Human Resources.

Pros

Positive support staff

Cons

Insufficient admin support (principals, not office staff)

Good experience.

Not a bad place to work. I enjoyed teaching the students. Did not enjoy the office politics which got worse throughout the years. Overall, it was a good experience, the pay was good and the hours were more than expected.

Relaxing and productive

A productive and rewarding job, educating and caring for the need of the new generations. The jobs scheduling allows for family bonding since the time period is 9 to 4 pm, coming home from work almost the same time that your family is back home and rewarding you of that quality time needed to monitor and nurture your own children. Only if the pay is more than it is and the hours paid is up to 40 hours, it will be perfect.

Good Summer Job

A typical day is that you are either cleaning or moving furniture and classrooms. Learned to train and look after junior students and had a tough culture in workplace. Good salary and benefits.

N/a

Layoffs due to surpluses 2 1/2 Years at one school before entitled to sick pay, or any other pay outside of your regular pay. Not all the schools are offered the same opportunities Some schools do not allot enough funding for students who have LD's More to be said however I believe those are Key points to why I only rated them a 3 star

child and youth worker

love working with the tdsb, the pay is great and is always courses or training available to learn and expand your thinking, the benefits are great as well.

Pros

free cpi training

Cons

some staff could be hard to deal with

Fun place to work

I enjoy my job as a lunchroom supervisor. I enjoy working with young children, ensuring that they are safe while eating their lunch. The staff are kind and friendly and always willing to help me grow as an individual.

Jobs at Toronto District School Board

See more jobs

good place to work

good place to work, good salary and good benefits, nice people, working hours a little bit less as part time but sometimes they giving extra two hours

Pros

good place to work

Cons

no comments

Fun and interactive environment with music and younger children.

This job was very fun as a result of interacting with the campers and becoming a role model to them but a very difficult job in terms of supervising the campers all the time and being responsible for the music periods and the recreational periods. Overall, it was a hard job since we had many responsibilities but we had a lot of fun at the same time.

Pros

Free food and housing for the overnight camp.

Cons

Long hours with little time to break as a result of being responsible over all the campers.

Excellent place to work

Excellent, inclusive, dynamic... one of the best places to work in Canada. Excellent benefits package. It is the largest school district in Canada. As a teacher, you are given the flexibility to plan and participate according to your social and cultural background.

Great job if you like kids

Different unions can make it difficult to switch from one position to another but overall it's a good place to work. Good pay and benefits plus it's great having the summer and winter breaks to spend with family.

Pros

Pay, benefits, time off

Cons

High burn out rate

Excellent workplace that values training.

Excellent workplace that values training and the advancement of its pupils.

Pros

Free breakfast

Depends on your school

Overall, I enjoy working within the public school system. I have been lucky enough to be at a school where I am respected as a professional among Administrative and teaching staff. Work life balance is great because of the hours and having school holidays off, but the low hours also means less pay overall. There is not much room for advancement or career growth.

Pros

short hours, school holidays off (Winter Break, March Break, 4 day Easter weekend), decent benefits plus pension, Professional Development

Cons

not well respected within organization, only paid 6 hours/day and not paid over the summer, no prep/planning time, no career growth or advancement opportunities

Good working environment

My experience working with the Toronto District School Board was a memorable one. As an occasional teacher, I was responsible for my personal professional growth by attending Additional Qualification Courses to maintain and sustain my professional judgment and skills in a growing technological society. A typical day was unpredictable because my jobs relied on the outgoing calls of job vacancies. Usually, when I established a relationship with a school I would provide my employee information to the teachers to pre book my jobs in advance. I felt that was extremely helpful in providing predictability and structure in my day. I loved working as an occasional teacher and supply teacher because it gave me an idea of how each school culture changed based on the demographics of the school locations. I felt that hardest part of the job was trying to find permanent jobs that helped anchor a foundation in my professional growth. It was a difficult job working with so many schools and teachers because I never fully grew as a permanent teacher at one school. I worked extremely hard to get hired at the school board and I found it helped with my character growth as a person. I fully enjoyed being a teacher and will always be a teacher at heart.

Pros

Salary, vacation days, status

Cons

hard to find permanent job

great place to work

requires you to be flexible and accommodating to students and other staff. Great salary and amazing benefits depends on the school but very positive work environment

Great co-workers and a good work/life balance

I worked for the TDSB for several years and formed some amazing relationships with both my co-workers and students. There were many opportunities to go above and beyond for the kids (clubs, coaching, mentoring). The pay is good as well as the amount of time you get off for holidays and availability of sick days. Great experience overall.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Nothing specific comes to mind

Rewarding at times, but increasingly prescriptive

It is a challenging profession that has changed greatly over the last thirty years. I would not recommend it to anyone but the most dedicated, who feel strongly that it is a calling. The stress and burn-out rates are quite high, and respect for professionals has been eroded over the last thirty years.

Pros

Excellent pension and benefits

Cons

Long hours outside class and stressful

Best job

Children were very loving, curious and overall a delight to work with.Set schedule. Amazing benefits. Staff were beyond a delight including the principal.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2