Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Management reviews

Clear

TDSB is great

I only worked here as Summer Janitor when I was in highschool but I would highly recommend working for the TDSB. Your co-workers and managers treat you well and often like to relax after doing something hard on the body.

No training and no explanation of position

You see what goes on behind the scenes at a school and I was disappointed at the lack of teachers around and lack of leadership by the Pricipals and Vice Principals

Pros

Security

Cons

Laziness (union)

Hit & miss on positive experience dependent on school location and the school administrator(s).

Challenging work place. Lack of support from administration. Hit and miss depending on school assignment & school administrator. Difficult to change schools & assignments. Work/life balance almost non-existent. Always lacking reasonable resources to effectively get the job done. Insufficient benefits coverage for the demands of the job.. Most interactions with HR are chaos lacking the “human” in Human Resources.

Pros

Positive support staff

Cons

Insufficient admin support (principals, not office staff)

Don't Do It

P/T cleaners get the worst jobs in the biggest sections. Run around trying to get everything done and impress in a 4hr shift skipping breaks told "do what you can" no-one tells ya you're doing an 8hr section. P/T always get huge daycares with the most garbage, the most toilets and the most mopping. Only ever tell ya what ya missed never positive. No seniority restriction for promotion courses but limited spaces filled on seniority last count 7yrs to be accepted. Then compete for a limited internal posted position as available in how many yrs... Don't Do It.

Pros

Paid well comparatively

Cons

Poor management and worse communication

One doesn't teach for the glory

The TDSB is notoriously difficult to work for. The best part of any day is working with children. However, the culture of the school board is less than positive and no matter how dedicated the staff, leadership is what matters and can make true lasting changes.

Pros

The kids

Cons

Divisive policies; underfunding; poor planning

Produtive

Very on point and productive. Supervisors and Management work well with one another to delegate daily tasks. Uniforms are provided and steel toe work shoes are required.

Pros

Flexiable hours

Cons

not a lot of communication between shifts

Love it

TDSB is the best place to work. It can be fast paced and stressful sometimes. Management is supportive. You may end up working on your own though you are a part of the team, but if you thrive in this culture, it is a huge positive. You will feel recognised, valued and appreciated for your work

If you love working with kids, You'll enjoy workign for the TDSB

I work a 8am_4pm daily, as a supply swometimes there are no jobs and its hard. Ensure you have a backup job if need steady income. My day at work is stressful but rewarding becasue the students i work with. AWe need to get paid better thats for sure. Management is very helpful and depepending on the school supportive. The hardest part of the job is having to dseal with behaviors, the enjoyable part is when a student reaches a milestone or is successful.

Pros

short days

Cons

BEhaviors and students abuse

Good Coporate Culture

Good Corporate Culture but the technology needs to be brought up to more advanced level. The managers are heavily involved and motivate the Employees.

Media Reports are true, the TDSB is a backwards organization

A terrible place to work. Always felt like I was expendable and not of the level to even talk to my managers. Constantly lived in fear while there. It was a noncollaborative place where almost no one was happy.

Jobs at Toronto District School Board

See more jobs

productive place

learned the school culture in TDSB and the management system. Workplace culture is different at schools. The most enjoyable part of the job is the vocations.

Dynamic, enthusiastic, warm and responsible RECE

I would arrive at work and greet all he children and staff. I learned that children have a mind of their own and we shoudl honor that. The management is always there to listen and assist if I have a question.The children from all background are treated the same including children with "special needs." The hardest thing about the job is not to be able to go out when it is rainy outside. Every day is a new adventure with this lovely children

Pros

be outside and do phsyical activity with the children

Cons

not having enough material at times

Great pay

TDSB is one of the best places to work for in regards as being a child youth worker. A lot of boards put you under a different umbrella With that said it does come with a lot of stress and very overwhelming. The pay doesn't justify the work and the danger you get in. The lack of support from admin is a leading reason why there is so much stress in the workplace.

the most enjoyable part of the job is working in grade 1

day at work from 8 am to 4 pm i learned how to manage the big class management are professional and helpful the hardest part of job is when i have outdoor activity in winter

Fun workplace great enviroment

I worked at YAAACE summer camp, the north york location for 2 years . Before that I volunteered for a year. I loved it! Working with the kids was awesome and the other counselors were so friendly. We did some group work too. The management staff was super helpful and always friendly. This was my favourite job experience by far, the kids are so great! The day is broken up into periods and we would get many break-time periods. I think it's great that management gives their past volunteers an opportunity to work when they are older! That's how I got the job and I have friends that got the job this way too

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Extended hours

relaxed

good place to learn the trade, relaxed atmosphere, will keep busy on certain days, lots of cleaning up tasks, management and maintenance is slow to respond

Working with the young is the best

But education is a political ball... if you can keep that to one side, the tdsb generally does a good job in managing its schools with limited resources. Thank goodness we still have a strong union to keep them accountable! Or else we might still be paid in chickens and eggs!!!

Good working environment

Good Career Job Working in School environment with children as Head Custodian Good rapport with the principal & teachers. Facility Management Making sure the property was safe for the children and Staff.

A work place where things are being reinvented continuously !

I have had many meaningful interactions with colleagues and students which have led to life-long friendships. The only downside to the TDSB is that there is I disconnect between management and the front-line workers, the teachers. Curriculum seems to be dumbed down continuously and standards have been falling.

The biggest disappointment of my life

They always made fun of me being fat and told me they needed me to give them 2000.00 If I want to get on full time ...I complained to human right of tdsb ...Nothing happened for 2 years now ...They ignore me and keep saying sorry ...I have been depressed since they let me go !!!

Can be quite rewarding

good career, challenging, but intrinsically rewarding... Pay is ok...everything is relative in live. every day is challenging... classroom management is the biggest challenge and the most tiring, not the teaching part. requires efficiency to get the job done and one must strike a work-life balance, as there is always more a teacher can do. In addition to this, must also get thick skinned and not take things personally, as I am dealing with children acting out and it's not personal. All the students like me as a teacher and as a person. You would be hard pressed to find 1 student who did not like me as a person or as a teacher.

Pros

rewarding seeing success in students and can influence their life decisions

Cons

no overtime pay, working in a building everyday with a static schedule, little interaction time with adults - working with minors all day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2