Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.9Job security & advancement

A great place to work in my candid opinion.

My direct Manager plays very vital roles in reaching my evaluations in general. Over all, a wonderful employer as a whole. Job security, good compensation and pension. You are given respect and recognised what you went to school to study plus professional experience. I will recommend this employer anytime and any day to anyone.

Pros

Good compensation. Solid union group.

Cons

I am not aware of any at this time.

Career job

This job has given me a career for 31yrs that enabled me to grow, learn and work with some amazing people at over 70 schools I have worked at over the years.

Don't Do It

P/T cleaners get the worst jobs in the biggest sections. Run around trying to get everything done and impress in a 4hr shift skipping breaks told "do what you can" no-one tells ya you're doing an 8hr section. P/T always get huge daycares with the most garbage, the most toilets and the most mopping. Only ever tell ya what ya missed never positive. No seniority restriction for promotion courses but limited spaces filled on seniority last count 7yrs to be accepted. Then compete for a limited internal posted position as available in how many yrs... Don't Do It.

Pros

Paid well comparatively

Cons

Poor management and worse communication

Very organized

Very organized well balanced work environment good pay good Supervisors Treated really welll ..........................................................

grow professionally in another field or elsewhere!

Oh my, there's a lot to say about this place... First off, being a supply CYW is great experience & money, but do not expect to get a permanent job or LTO easily. It takes time & connections to obtain any one of those. You will supply for YEARS. There is no guarantee of day to day work & you will definitely NEED to get a second & may even third job to make ends meet! In the last few years, the Board has been cutting CYW positions like crazy. The KIP program will be closing at the end of June 2020 & High School Resource CYWs were assigned to work between 2 schools in September 2019. Talk about poor advancement... Another thing is about the schools. Your sanity & work experience will greatly depend on the support and involvement of admin. Some places will treat you with respect & have an understanding of the CYW role. Others do not care & treat CYWs horribly. It is important that you have a VERY good understanding of your duties & stand up for yourself. If you don't, you will be taken advantage of. Lastly, I heed warning to any CYW that applies to work here. This board is one of the very few education system that recognizes the CYW role in a professional capacity in comparison to others. Yet, there is still a long way to go, as there is no official certification for us in Ontario. I highly recommend furthering your education (BSW, MSW, OCT) & go from there. There will be more, better paid opportunities on the horizon for you.

Pros

the experience will prepare you for pretty much ANYTHING

Cons

very inconsistent, positions are being cut, limited long-term career opportunities

Productive workspace

I enjoyed working at the TDSB as a volunteer custodian as it was a productive and easy going workspace. The people I worked with there were very easy to get along with and were always helpful should I have any questions or require a demonstration with new tasks I was assigned.

Productive and encouraging work environments, which foster life-long learning

While being an elementary teacher can be difficult, it is also one of the most rewarding careers. At the TDSB, we are encouraged to engage in relevant, equity-based professional development that will translate directly into our worksites. It is an environment that fosters and encourages life-long learning.

Good Coporate Culture

Good Corporate Culture but the technology needs to be brought up to more advanced level. The managers are heavily involved and motivate the Employees.

Great learning opportunity

Being a college student placed in 3rd and 4th semesters with the TDSB I was able to learn a lot. Worked with many different knowledgeable people. If given the opportunity to work with the TDSB take it!

Productive Work Place

I've worked in this specific area of the TDSB for almost 4 years now and it's safe to say it is one of my favourite jobs that I've had. With the summer job most co-workers as the same age (university students) we all get a along and with some of the same people coming back year after years we've all grown close and even hang out outside of work.

Jobs at Toronto District School Board

See more jobs

Hard for new teachers, even if you are highly skilled

Advancement for new teachers is really hard, even if you are highly skilled. It's more about who you know and putting in the years of experience supply teaching and volunteering at schools to build relationships.

Very fulfilling

I work with Special needs children.It is very busy and sometimes can be very physical and tiring depending on the type of group you are working with.As long as you have good work ethics,great attitude towards being verymuch resourceful,being a good team player you will be enjoying each minute of your work life and happier.It is a very fulfilling and a very rewarding career.

An excellent working environment that is very productive but can be stressful and highly competitive at times. an excellent training ground for the inexperience.

Great to work

I am able to learn everyday. Continue to get better using the tools of trade. I enjoy the satisfaction I get when the task is completed and has a great appearance.

fun and great experience

if not for the problems the broad was facing things would have went smoother with communications and such but other than that, the placement very friendly and open.

Good Summer Job

A typical day is that you are either cleaning or moving furniture and classrooms. Learned to train and look after junior students and had a tough culture in workplace. Good salary and benefits.

Very stressful place to work, not enough support for teachers in The special education program. However, excellent and supportive administration .

Professional development is encouraged support changing times and technology advancements. There should be more computers in classroom and a computer for every child needing one, especially in these times of information technology advancements.

Friendly environment

My manager was very nice and gave me opportunities to grow. She also tried hard to push progress and to move our team forward. The pay wasn't great though. Some of our team wasn't the most forward thinking.

Good working environment

Good Career Job Working in School environment with children as Head Custodian Good rapport with the principal & teachers. Facility Management Making sure the property was safe for the children and Staff.

Excellent

I am very happy to hear from you this upcoming opportunity is versatile and I am very interested in the position It has been a very fulfilling relationship with my company and customer service experience has improved considerably.

TDSB the best!

TDSB is my dream board! It is very inclusive, diverse and everybody is accepted. As an employee, I am satisfied of the fast dervice by the HR. The help desk people are awesome!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2