Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews for Youth Worker

4.0Pay & benefits

A great place to work in my candid opinion.

My direct Manager plays very vital roles in reaching my evaluations in general. Over all, a wonderful employer as a whole. Job security, good compensation and pension. You are given respect and recognised what you went to school to study plus professional experience. I will recommend this employer anytime and any day to anyone.

Pros

Good compensation. Solid union group.

Cons

I am not aware of any at this time.

grow professionally in another field or elsewhere!

Oh my, there's a lot to say about this place... First off, being a supply CYW is great experience & money, but do not expect to get a permanent job or LTO easily. It takes time & connections to obtain any one of those. You will supply for YEARS. There is no guarantee of day to day work & you will definitely NEED to get a second & may even third job to make ends meet! In the last few years, the Board has been cutting CYW positions like crazy. The KIP program will be closing at the end of June 2020 & High School Resource CYWs were assigned to work between 2 schools in September 2019. Talk about poor advancement... Another thing is about the schools. Your sanity & work experience will greatly depend on the support and involvement of admin. Some places will treat you with respect & have an understanding of the CYW role. Others do not care & treat CYWs horribly. It is important that you have a VERY good understanding of your duties & stand up for yourself. If you don't, you will be taken advantage of. Lastly, I heed warning to any CYW that applies to work here. This board is one of the very few education system that recognizes the CYW role in a professional capacity in comparison to others. Yet, there is still a long way to go, as there is no official certification for us in Ontario. I highly recommend furthering your education (BSW, MSW, OCT) & go from there. There will be more, better paid opportunities on the horizon for you.

Pros

the experience will prepare you for pretty much ANYTHING

Cons

very inconsistent, positions are being cut, limited long-term career opportunities

If you love working with kids, You'll enjoy workign for the TDSB

I work a 8am_4pm daily, as a supply swometimes there are no jobs and its hard. Ensure you have a backup job if need steady income. My day at work is stressful but rewarding becasue the students i work with. AWe need to get paid better thats for sure. Management is very helpful and depepending on the school supportive. The hardest part of the job is having to dseal with behaviors, the enjoyable part is when a student reaches a milestone or is successful.

Pros

short days

Cons

BEhaviors and students abuse

Great pay

TDSB is one of the best places to work for in regards as being a child youth worker. A lot of boards put you under a different umbrella With that said it does come with a lot of stress and very overwhelming. The pay doesn't justify the work and the danger you get in. The lack of support from admin is a leading reason why there is so much stress in the workplace.

child and youth worker

love working with the tdsb, the pay is great and is always courses or training available to learn and expand your thinking, the benefits are great as well.

Pros

free cpi training

Cons

some staff could be hard to deal with

Fun place to work but very political

Great place to work however education system I’d forbidding staff to correct these negative behaviours and it’s creating I’m safe spaces for students and staff.

Pros

Can be supportive environment

Cons

Can be unsupportive enviro

Inclusive and Welcoming environment

The Toronto District School Board aspires to provide a caring and nurturing environment that provides students with the opportunity to obtain their credits in order to obtain their high school certificate. Students are welcomed in an environment that fosters inclusivity, non-judgemental, and a free space to learn. The TDSB works hard to ensure that the students are being taught according to their educational level and accommodated where needed.

Great

Assisted in classrooms, teachers were nice, work environment is fast paced. Class trips were fun for students. Room to grow within the board. Free to run programs

Pros

Working alongside teachers

Cons

Recess duty

griffin centre

well educated on mental health and training's. staff are not treated fairly. week supervision would be helpful to help reduce burn out. Staff are very burnt out as an example .

hit and miss

all depends on who you work with hard to get perm issues with job stability, can be bumped or moved around alot the pay is pretty good, better then some other boards in the area

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Toronto District School Board?

Tdsb

great organization to work for. The staff team are excellent and the two months vacation in the summer is an added benefit for working in a school.

Pros

two months off in the summer.

wonderful place to work

I have had a variety of experiences in different situations with youth ageing from 6 to 24 years of age. These include group homes, school settings, camp settings and shelters. I have had many success stories while working with these youth. I have experience working in the different cultural regions of Toronto and have experience working with mental health, behaviour and addictions as well. I have also just recently had the opportunity to co-ordinate a summer camp program for a community in Toronto that is at risk. You will find me to be very relaxed and able to deal with any situation that may arise. I am able to remain calm and deal with issues with assertiveness, and utilize a behavioural cognitive discussion to help resolve the problem. As I stated before, I have experience working with behaviours, and have managed to have some youth come around and learn different ways of dealing with their anger, simply by speaking with them (not at them) and offering different options to try. Although I currently reside in Barrie, I am more than willing to transfer to where I am needed, providing the employment opportunities are there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2