Toronto District School Board logo
Toronto District School Board
Happiness score is 90 out of 100High

Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews for Teacher

Good

Teaching is a very structured, busy and stressful job. You have to love and have a passion for it, otherwise you don't survive. Even though it is 8:30-3:30, you need to be in school earlier and stay late to prepare the materials and photocopying. The job continues at home with preparations and marking that never ends.

Pros

Helping kids succeed in life.

Cons

Overwhelmingly busy and stressful

Hit & miss on positive experience dependent on school location and the school administrator(s).

Challenging work place. Lack of support from administration. Hit and miss depending on school assignment & school administrator. Difficult to change schools & assignments. Work/life balance almost non-existent. Always lacking reasonable resources to effectively get the job done. Insufficient benefits coverage for the demands of the job.. Most interactions with HR are chaos lacking the “human” in Human Resources.

Pros

Positive support staff

Cons

Insufficient admin support (principals, not office staff)

Good job and experience

1. Follow regular teacher’s lesson plans in a way that ensures consistency and optimal learning 2. Assign classwork and homework as necessary, according to lesson plans 3. Maintain a well-managed classroom and positive learning environment

Test of Toughness

TDSB is an extraordinary organization from every angle and in every moment. Working there will fill you with unforgettable and activating experiences. *Be sure to take care of yourself first.* Indulge in gym, yoga, massage and spa time. Take breaks early and often. Pack a very good lunch for the days you brave the staff room and leave the work property often!

An excellent working environment that is very productive but can be stressful and highly competitive at times. an excellent training ground for the inexperience.

rewarding and fulfulling

Teaching is a wonderful opportunity for personal growth and helping children to learn independently and reach their full potential. It allows you to interact with people on a regular basis, making a difference in the lives of those around you.

Working with the young is the best

But education is a political ball... if you can keep that to one side, the tdsb generally does a good job in managing its schools with limited resources. Thank goodness we still have a strong union to keep them accountable! Or else we might still be paid in chickens and eggs!!!

Very stressful place to work, not enough support for teachers in The special education program. However, excellent and supportive administration .

Professional development is encouraged support changing times and technology advancements. There should be more computers in classroom and a computer for every child needing one, especially in these times of information technology advancements.

TDSB the best!

TDSB is my dream board! It is very inclusive, diverse and everybody is accepted. As an employee, I am satisfied of the fast dervice by the HR. The help desk people are awesome!

great

• Established center-based classroom for students to learn and explore through inquiry and play. • Created and implemented innovative and engaging lesson plans and activities, increased student learning motivation and effectiveness by 20%.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Toronto District School Board?

Great memories and profound appreciation to everybody in the TDSB!

I have a monumental collection of happy and warm memories; and appreciation to everyone involved, children, parents, colleagues, administrators, support staff, specialists, and the like. It has been an amazing experience for me! I cannot wait to see my young students turning into great, happy adults! :)

The teachers are amazing people

My colleagues were all wonderful people to work with. They always made me feel welcome and part of the team. There was mutual respect and we cooperated to meet challenges we shared in the teaching profession.

Good working environment

My experience working with the Toronto District School Board was a memorable one. As an occasional teacher, I was responsible for my personal professional growth by attending Additional Qualification Courses to maintain and sustain my professional judgment and skills in a growing technological society. A typical day was unpredictable because my jobs relied on the outgoing calls of job vacancies. Usually, when I established a relationship with a school I would provide my employee information to the teachers to pre book my jobs in advance. I felt that was extremely helpful in providing predictability and structure in my day. I loved working as an occasional teacher and supply teacher because it gave me an idea of how each school culture changed based on the demographics of the school locations. I felt that hardest part of the job was trying to find permanent jobs that helped anchor a foundation in my professional growth. It was a difficult job working with so many schools and teachers because I never fully grew as a permanent teacher at one school. I worked extremely hard to get hired at the school board and I found it helped with my character growth as a person. I fully enjoyed being a teacher and will always be a teacher at heart.

Pros

Salary, vacation days, status

Cons

hard to find permanent job

great place to work

requires you to be flexible and accommodating to students and other staff. Great salary and amazing benefits depends on the school but very positive work environment

A great place to work!!

I truly enjoy working for the Toronto District School Board. I like the teamwork approach and the ongoing professional development. As a teacher, I feel well supported by most administration. The best part of the job is my relationship with the students. The most challenging part is the lack of resource specially for the French teachers. We have to be extremely creative in the way in which we are on a never ending quest for good resources.

I worked at many different schools so it was never boring.

i arrived early so that I would be ready for my classes. I learned to be really organized and to vary the content and presentations for my classes. I worked at 20 different schools so the needs of the schools varied widely. i worked in academic schools, trade schools and schools for developmentally disabled students.

Pros

free parking

Cons

long hours and lots of demands on my time

Great co-workers and a good work/life balance

I worked for the TDSB for several years and formed some amazing relationships with both my co-workers and students. There were many opportunities to go above and beyond for the kids (clubs, coaching, mentoring). The pay is good as well as the amount of time you get off for holidays and availability of sick days. Great experience overall.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Nothing specific comes to mind

Great kids, great teachers

I found that as an overarching theme teachers in TDSB genuinely care about their students and creating an environment suitable for learning. The kids in the TDSB are great.

Amazing place to work

A professional place to work in a multicultural and ever changing environment. The students are great and the board is definitely moving in the right direction in terms of student assessment and learning.

Pros

Holiday time

The tdsb

The TDSB is a company I have worked for since 1990. During that time management style has changed significantly...not always for the good. There is too much middle management and not enough teachers in the classroom to service our students...and that is why we are really here

The school board treats its employee fairly most ofv the time

you teach 3 subjects with some on-calls you learned to deal with different students and class room management the work culture at Churchill was very welcoming the hardest part of the job was dealing with the admin. the most enjoyable part was dealing with the students

Pros

some free lunches

Cons

job could be very stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2