Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews for French Teacher

the most enjoyable part of the job is working in grade 1

day at work from 8 am to 4 pm i learned how to manage the big class management are professional and helpful the hardest part of job is when i have outdoor activity in winter

Never again

As a full-time teacher, your experience is largely contingent on the school and the amount of support you receive. I was a new teacher at a rougher school and received very minimal support. I had one grade six class of 30 kids in which half of them had SEVERE behavioural issues and were operating at a grade one/two level. It was impossible to actually teach, and the academic progress of the other, "normal"-functioning students suffered immensely. The integration of special needs children into "regular" classrooms does NOT work and is an all-around gong-show. It is a FAILED experiment, is not backed by any evidence whatsoever, and should be scrapped immediately. The only people it hurts are all of the students involved. I had a permanent, full-time teaching position and quit after only a year, as I felt I was operating in a structurally defunct system, and my mental health was on the brink of collapse. It is the best decision I have ever made.

Pros

Stable career, great pension

Cons

Very little work-life balance, extremely draining, impossibly demanding on many levels

Work life balance bad

Very hard, depending, on where you are located, to strike a life work balance. It is gruelling. There also seems to be a competition over how much of your health you are willing to sacrifice for your students. The more you are willing to teach through that pneumonia you have, the better teacher you are. Totally backwards thinking.

Pros

Get to do something different everyday, it is rewarding and a challenge

Cons

Long hours, lots of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2