Toronto District School Board logo
Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews for Caretaker

Nice to work around children

Takes time to learn the different aspects of the job requirement but once you understand its easy. It involves just more that cleaning to be exact.

Pros

Sick days and vacations

Cons

Handling incidates

Straight forward

Pretty straight forward tasks to complete at steady pace. No over the shoulder supervision which allows you to work in a stress free environment. Mostly working alone but sometimes working with others during the summer break

Enjoyable

Working with people in diverse groups is very rewarding. Learn different languages and cultures is satisfying. Some hard task job is during Winter clearing Snow off the school’s ground.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Few mean people

Great to work

I am able to learn everyday. Continue to get better using the tools of trade. I enjoy the satisfaction I get when the task is completed and has a great appearance.

Good Summer Job

A typical day is that you are either cleaning or moving furniture and classrooms. Learned to train and look after junior students and had a tough culture in workplace. Good salary and benefits.

Positive work environment and decent pay.

One of the best paying summer jobs to have as a student. Manageable work load and a positive work environment. Majority of staff members are friendly and professional.

secure place to work

was a great place to work secure nrver had to worry about your job great people to work for and with many opportunities to advance nrver expected more work than could be done in the time of your shift

Pros

securitiy

Cons

beaurocracy

Student Caretaker

A day at work was coming in at 7am and figuring out what needed to be done for the day. I was all around at a handful of schools so i never knew what needed to be done until I got to the new school. I learned my strengths and weaknesses, and I learned out to properly wax a floor and make a room look spotless. Our workplace cutler was fun and easy going, we had lots of work to do but we made it enjoyable! Hardest part of the job was the lack of A/C in 4/5 of the schools, making majority of them extremely hot or humid to work in over the summer, making the work we had to do more stressful taking us longer to complete our tasks. The most enjoyable part were how nice the hours were, 7AM to 3:30PM, i would get home by 4:30 and have the rest of the day to myself, that's the best part!

Pros

Great hours

Cons

Most times hot and humid over the summer.

fun work environment

I enjoyed my time working for the Toronto District School Board. The hours were good, the wages are fair and the staff are all very welcoming and nice. The days went by fast and there were never any problems.

Pros

good location, excellent staff

Cons

hot work environment

Productive and fun environment

As a summer student for the TDSB I was able to work within various environments with a diverse community of people, while at the same time remaining with my assigned group of coworkers on a daily basis. While the job was quite demanding on occasion, my coworkers made my job at the TDSB feel like home. During my 5 years at the board, management switched over every year, and each new manager was always welcoming and easy to talk to. If my workplace environment ever got uncomfortable on a rare occasion, I was treated with the utmost respect by management. The hardest part of this job was the demanding physical labour and problem solving skills. This job really required me to be able to move large pieces of furniture across schools, and work at a fast pace. While some days were quite demanding, I always felt respected and appreciated for the jobs I was assigned to do. The most enjoyable part of the job were the friendships I have made and continue to keep. This position really did go to show that the people around you and their positive attitudes really are a key role in a workplace environment and can positively impact the efficiency and happiness of a company's employees.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Toronto District School Board?

Hard workplace to get used to but becomes easy when work is being done

Management in regards to supervisors are all over the place , extremely disorganised and chaotic. Work is extremely tough and takes a really strong person to adapt to it. Luckily the regular caretakers are easy on students but they expect a whole lot from you. The pay is over minimum wage is which an upside but for the amount of work being done it seems to me as if its a low rate of pay. Other that that, fixed hours are great you could enjoy as much time out after 3:30pm and weekends are off which you can't find at most summer jobs. All in all great experience

Pros

Fixed Hours, Free weekends

Cons

Management, Supervisors

Great Job. Miss it.

I was working as a Student caretaker for most of my high school career. It was a great job even for adults. Friendly co-workers and boss's and you had weekends off.

Pros

2 breaks and a lunch

Cons

Winter Clean up can get a little tricky.

great job!

Over all its a good place to work with good benefits and a pension.Job can rewarding at times good people to work with.never make a million dollars but you can live a conformable life.Can be changeling but a good work experience.

very good institution to work for

Great environment for working, team work and safety go together. salary ans benefits always updated, training according with seniority and good pension package.

Great company

Each day I act as if the school I am at is my home. I am passionate in everything I do. Love my co workers. Hardest part of my day is going home.

Pros

great hours

Cons

environment

Great team based job with plenty of hands on work.

This job was a great experience it gave me a great understanding of time management skills while working in a team based environment. Everyday there was usually a pattern of hands on work we had to follow which kept me very busy. The work environment was very enjoyable, and motivating .

Relaxed and comfortable work environment

A typical day at work during the night shift in May and June would involve going from room to room and taking out garbage, sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning washrooms, and cleaning up any messes. I would get a dinner break and lock up my section of the building at the end of the shift. A typical day shift in July and August would involve doing the summer clean up: taking everything out of classrooms, I learned how to manage time in order to complete all tasks in a timely and efficient manner. The management was easy going, responsible and checked in on us from time to time. My co-workers were all older than me and worked full time, but they were easy to relate to and I enjoyed seeing them every day. The hardest part of the job was the continuous heavy lifting of desks and other equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job was finishing each room and the satisfaction that arose from that.

Pros

working with fun people and self-management of time

Cons

early mornings and late nights

Very relaxing but sometimes very stressful

The job can be very stressful or relaxing depending on the head caretaker at the certain school. I did Carpet cleaning which is much more easier then lifting or cleaning the schools. When there is no more carpets to do in the summer, we are switched back to regular caretaking, where we sweep, clean, lift, and whatever job the head caretaker has for us. My co-worker is great. I learned how to communicate and interact with workers who really seem to try and make your day extremely difficult. The best part about my day is having to see the little kids in some school's and the happy faces all over the school's. The pay is really good and it is a job I would not mind continue to work at until I have a secure career after university.

Pros

Alot of Breaks

Cons

Heavy Lifting

Long hours that pay off in the end

There are many strenuous tasks associated with care taking that make it difficult to reach the end of the week and certain staff members can be unpleasant however; the salary is well worth the effort in the end.

Pros

the salary is excellent

Cons

difficult to use sick time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2