Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews

Pretty straight forward tasks to complete at steady pace. No over the shoulder supervision which allows you to work in a stress free environment. Mostly working alone but sometimes working with others during the summer break
You see what goes on behind the scenes at a school and I was disappointed at the lack of teachers around and lack of leadership by the Pricipals and Vice Principals
Pros
Security
Cons
Laziness (union)
Working with people in diverse groups is very rewarding. Learn different languages and cultures is satisfying. Some hard task job is during Winter clearing Snow off the school’s ground.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Few mean people
Challenging work place. Lack of support from administration. Hit and miss depending on school assignment & school administrator. Difficult to change schools & assignments. Work/life balance almost non-existent. Always lacking reasonable resources to effectively get the job done. Insufficient benefits coverage for the demands of the job.. Most interactions with HR are chaos lacking the “human” in Human Resources.
Pros
Positive support staff
Cons
Insufficient admin support (principals, not office staff)
This job has given me a career for 31yrs that enabled me to grow, learn and work with some amazing people at over 70 schools I have worked at over the years.
P/T cleaners get the worst jobs in the biggest sections. Run around trying to get everything done and impress in a 4hr shift skipping breaks told "do what you can" no-one tells ya you're doing an 8hr section. P/T always get huge daycares with the most garbage, the most toilets and the most mopping. Only ever tell ya what ya missed never positive. No seniority restriction for promotion courses but limited spaces filled on seniority last count 7yrs to be accepted. Then compete for a limited internal posted position as available in how many yrs... Don't Do It.
Pros
Paid well comparatively
Cons
Poor management and worse communication
Teaching is a very structured, busy and stressful job. You have to love and have a passion for it, otherwise you don't survive. Even though it is 8:30-3:30, you need to be in school earlier and stay late to prepare the materials and photocopying. The job continues at home with preparations and marking that never ends.
Pros
Helping kids succeed in life.
Cons
Overwhelmingly busy and stressful
Working for the government is very relaxed and slow pace but make no mistake the job is very demanding and you always have something to do. Is just there is less pressure than a private corporation. At the time of me working there my team had about 4-5 really big projects for the whole tear split between 11 people. Is more relaxed pacing but still quite busy! They had a lot of incentives, team meetings and opportunities to learn.
Very organized well balanced work environment good pay good Supervisors Treated really welll ..........................................................
The TDSB is notoriously difficult to work for. The best part of any day is working with children. However, the culture of the school board is less than positive and no matter how dedicated the staff, leadership is what matters and can make true lasting changes.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Divisive policies; underfunding; poor planning
The culture changes depending on where you work since there are multiple work locations across the city and it would be impossible to provide one description of the culture. It ranges from very helpful and cooperative to uncooperative and less helpful.
Pros
Good pay and challenging work!
Cons
Large board - alot of confusion.
Oh my, there's a lot to say about this place... First off, being a supply CYW is great experience & money, but do not expect to get a permanent job or LTO easily. It takes time & connections to obtain any one of those. You will supply for YEARS. There is no guarantee of day to day work & you will definitely NEED to get a second & may even third job to make ends meet! In the last few years, the Board has been cutting CYW positions like crazy. The KIP program will be closing at the end of June 2020 & High School Resource CYWs were assigned to work between 2 schools in September 2019. Talk about poor advancement... Another thing is about the schools. Your sanity & work experience will greatly depend on the support and involvement of admin. Some places will treat you with respect & have an understanding of the CYW role. Others do not care & treat CYWs horribly. It is important that you have a VERY good understanding of your duties & stand up for yourself. If you don't, you will be taken advantage of. Lastly, I heed warning to any CYW that applies to work here. This board is one of the very few education system that recognizes the CYW role in a professional capacity in comparison to others. Yet, there is still a long way to go, as there is no official certification for us in Ontario. I highly recommend furthering your education (BSW, MSW, OCT) & go from there. There will be more, better paid opportunities on the horizon for you.
Pros
the experience will prepare you for pretty much ANYTHING
Cons
very inconsistent, positions are being cut, limited long-term career opportunities
I only worked here as Summer Janitor when I was in highschool but I would highly recommend working for the TDSB. Your co-workers and managers treat you well and often like to relax after doing something hard on the body.
a typical day at work involved dealing with elementary children.Staffs and students are amazing. Safe place to work, if you enjoy working with children. I would definitely recommend anyone to work at tdsb.
This job is great for university students – great pay, decent hours, and not too strenuous work. I enjoyed the summer I worked here but the people can be extremely ignorant.
it was a great experience over all , surrounding atmosphere was really very good and energetic for me. i have learnt lots of things from my Superiors , he was very calm and enthusiastic.
Very on point and productive. Supervisors and Management work well with one another to delegate daily tasks. Uniforms are provided and steel toe work shoes are required.
Pros
Flexiable hours
Cons
not a lot of communication between shifts
As a part time worker, I was treated with respect and support unlike any I have received in full time positions. The care extended to the students is also given to staff and it created a warm, welcoming work environment where anything seemed possible.
1. Follow regular teacher’s lesson plans in a way that ensures consistency and optimal learning 2. Assign classwork and homework as necessary, according to lesson plans 3. Maintain a well-managed classroom and positive learning environment
I think people are highly aware of what teachers have to deal with now that parents are home schooling during this current crisis. They now understand haveing 30 kids in a room is challenging prospectsa
I worked with compassionate, caring and intelligent educators and caregivers while maintaining a happy, healthy workplace. It was difficult sometimes to leave work at work but other than that, it was a pleasant culture overall.
Pros
Spending time with great kids and young adults with special needs
Cons
Can be stressful as when dealing with special needs, you never know what the day is going to bring.