Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews

Productive and student centered culture

A culture of quality education, policies are enforced.Great customer service.Continuous staff training and development.Excellent communication medium

School is under Toronto School Board. Toronto

Rules and regulation are strict and very organized. Have to work promptly and effectively as per the School Board's regulation and procedures.It was a Migration Project to Win 10 operating system. Have to work accurately & promptly and complete the jobs accurately and on time

Pros

Have to bring lunch

Cons

7.5 Hours work

Nice to work around children

Takes time to learn the different aspects of the job requirement but once you understand its easy. It involves just more that cleaning to be exact.

Pros

Sick days and vacations

Cons

Handling incidates

A great place to work in my candid opinion.

My direct Manager plays very vital roles in reaching my evaluations in general. Over all, a wonderful employer as a whole. Job security, good compensation and pension. You are given respect and recognised what you went to school to study plus professional experience. I will recommend this employer anytime and any day to anyone.

Pros

Good compensation. Solid union group.

Cons

I am not aware of any at this time.

Precarious

Teaching has become a nightmare job. Undisciplined students. Out of control entitled parents. Smarmy admin who talk sideways using latest buzz words. Most stressful, least rewarding career. Used to be lots of work but fulfilling. Now drudgery. Avoid.

Pros

Security

Cons

Long hours. Weak admin.

Great place to work!

I worked as a summer student for two summers from April to August, a great life experience for a young person learning new skills and communicating with full time staff and managers. Good pay and working conditions and excellent managers.

Straight forward

Pretty straight forward tasks to complete at steady pace. No over the shoulder supervision which allows you to work in a stress free environment. Mostly working alone but sometimes working with others during the summer break

No training and no explanation of position

You see what goes on behind the scenes at a school and I was disappointed at the lack of teachers around and lack of leadership by the Pricipals and Vice Principals

Pros

Security

Cons

Laziness (union)

Enjoyable

Working with people in diverse groups is very rewarding. Learn different languages and cultures is satisfying. Some hard task job is during Winter clearing Snow off the school’s ground.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Few mean people

Hit & miss on positive experience dependent on school location and the school administrator(s).

Challenging work place. Lack of support from administration. Hit and miss depending on school assignment & school administrator. Difficult to change schools & assignments. Work/life balance almost non-existent. Always lacking reasonable resources to effectively get the job done. Insufficient benefits coverage for the demands of the job.. Most interactions with HR are chaos lacking the “human” in Human Resources.

Pros

Positive support staff

Cons

Insufficient admin support (principals, not office staff)

Jobs at Toronto District School Board

See more jobs

Work hard and all is good

I enjoyed every day of working at Tdsb . I got a lot of support from management and they were always there if you had any issues. It may be the best job that you will ever have.

Pros

Excellent benefits and lots of support

Cons

A lot of people take advantage of your freedom that your givin.

Career job

This job has given me a career for 31yrs that enabled me to grow, learn and work with some amazing people at over 70 schools I have worked at over the years.

Don't Do It

P/T cleaners get the worst jobs in the biggest sections. Run around trying to get everything done and impress in a 4hr shift skipping breaks told "do what you can" no-one tells ya you're doing an 8hr section. P/T always get huge daycares with the most garbage, the most toilets and the most mopping. Only ever tell ya what ya missed never positive. No seniority restriction for promotion courses but limited spaces filled on seniority last count 7yrs to be accepted. Then compete for a limited internal posted position as available in how many yrs... Don't Do It.

Pros

Paid well comparatively

Cons

Poor management and worse communication

Good

Teaching is a very structured, busy and stressful job. You have to love and have a passion for it, otherwise you don't survive. Even though it is 8:30-3:30, you need to be in school earlier and stay late to prepare the materials and photocopying. The job continues at home with preparations and marking that never ends.

Pros

Helping kids succeed in life.

Cons

Overwhelmingly busy and stressful

TDSB for me personally was great

Working for the government is very relaxed and slow pace but make no mistake the job is very demanding and you always have something to do. Is just there is less pressure than a private corporation. At the time of me working there my team had about 4-5 really big projects for the whole tear split between 11 people. Is more relaxed pacing but still quite busy! They had a lot of incentives, team meetings and opportunities to learn.

Very organized

Very organized well balanced work environment good pay good Supervisors Treated really welll ..........................................................

One doesn't teach for the glory

The TDSB is notoriously difficult to work for. The best part of any day is working with children. However, the culture of the school board is less than positive and no matter how dedicated the staff, leadership is what matters and can make true lasting changes.

Pros

The kids

Cons

Divisive policies; underfunding; poor planning

Challenging and rewarding work experience.

The culture changes depending on where you work since there are multiple work locations across the city and it would be impossible to provide one description of the culture. It ranges from very helpful and cooperative to uncooperative and less helpful.

Pros

Good pay and challenging work!

Cons

Large board - alot of confusion.

grow professionally in another field or elsewhere!

Oh my, there's a lot to say about this place... First off, being a supply CYW is great experience & money, but do not expect to get a permanent job or LTO easily. It takes time & connections to obtain any one of those. You will supply for YEARS. There is no guarantee of day to day work & you will definitely NEED to get a second & may even third job to make ends meet! In the last few years, the Board has been cutting CYW positions like crazy. The KIP program will be closing at the end of June 2020 & High School Resource CYWs were assigned to work between 2 schools in September 2019. Talk about poor advancement... Another thing is about the schools. Your sanity & work experience will greatly depend on the support and involvement of admin. Some places will treat you with respect & have an understanding of the CYW role. Others do not care & treat CYWs horribly. It is important that you have a VERY good understanding of your duties & stand up for yourself. If you don't, you will be taken advantage of. Lastly, I heed warning to any CYW that applies to work here. This board is one of the very few education system that recognizes the CYW role in a professional capacity in comparison to others. Yet, there is still a long way to go, as there is no official certification for us in Ontario. I highly recommend furthering your education (BSW, MSW, OCT) & go from there. There will be more, better paid opportunities on the horizon for you.

Pros

the experience will prepare you for pretty much ANYTHING

Cons

very inconsistent, positions are being cut, limited long-term career opportunities

TDSB is great

I only worked here as Summer Janitor when I was in highschool but I would highly recommend working for the TDSB. Your co-workers and managers treat you well and often like to relax after doing something hard on the body.

Productive paced environment

a typical day at work involved dealing with elementary children.Staffs and students are amazing. Safe place to work, if you enjoy working with children. I would definitely recommend anyone to work at tdsb.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2