Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews

fun work environment
Swim instructor/lifeguard (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON20 June 2018
was a very fun place to work got to interact with students and faculty just was not a very secure job. Best part was being able to coach swim teams and go to tournaments with the students.
Tdsb
Office Assistant, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Toronto31 May 2018
Typical day included managing office duties, handling students, parents and staff. Learned various processes and protocols with regards to daily operations. Towards the ending of the year would be the a busy time, gathering reports, handling mass amounts of data and having the demands to complete within a certain time frame. However, the work life balance was good as I would work throughout the school year and have holidays and summers off.
Pros
Vacationing Time
Cons
Busy Periods of The Year
Good Employer
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
Nice place to work. Huge environment so a lot to learn. Management is bit disoriented. Workplace culture is just like any other unionized environment is. Hardest part is to push the envelops for new initiative. Stress free, laid back environment.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Opportunity for conferences
Cons
Very slow
Very nice place to work, good luck trying to get full time thou
Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
you usually go in to a lower position and work your way up.
full timers, no matter how low the job title, always gets first consideration.
which does put you in a disadvantage. it's a bit better with bigger departments like caretaking, but will be very hard for smaller departments.

also need to consider which union unit youre joining since unit seniority does not transfer.

but if you can get a full time job in this company, it will be a life time gig.
Pros
Stable, well paid, great benefits
Cons
Advancement within is very hard
Math-e-Motion assistant
Math-e-motion Junior Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2018
It was great. I started my days working reception for incoming students and teachers participating in the camp, followed by doing constant running around and behind the scenes work for the camp. It was me and a few other individuals that made the camp run
The tdsb
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2018
The TDSB is a company I have worked for since 1990. During that time management style has changed significantly...not always for the good. There is too much middle management and not enough teachers in the classroom to service our students...and that is why we are really here
Enjoyable work environment
Lunchroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2018
Lunchroom Supervisor for class of 22 kindergarteners. Enhanced children's social and emotional development by encouraging proper language use, teaching them how to share space and take turns when speaking.
great place to work!
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 March 2018
i started off as a supply cyw. satisfaction really depends what location you work at. there are schools i really enjoyed working at, yet others I avoided completely. there so much to learn working here. if you are good, you will get many contract opportunities, as employees talk with other colleagues within the board. I am currently on a contract as a classroom cyw and couldn’t be happier in this postion.
Pros
good hours, supportive colleagues, fairness
Cons
inconsistency, lack of certain mandatory professional development
Hard-working, fast-paced work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
A positive workspace where mistakes cannot be made. The best part of the job is that knowing in the long run you've affected a student's life in a positive way.
The Bigger They Are The Less You Will Get
LUNCH ROOM SUPERVISOR & NOON HOUR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2018
It was an ok company, the pay was not that great, always last minute calls to ask if you were available to work on the same day or not. Overall it was an ok experience!
Volunteering with teachers
Computer Refurbishing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
Volunteering with teachers provides a great opportunity in getting to better understand and connect with our educators. This allows us, as students going through a transitional stage to identify with another adult
Pros
free pizza
Wonderful Experience!
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 March 2018
Absolutely a pleasure to work for TDSB. Great experience overall. Appropriate wages, great benefits. Always treated with respect! Positive environment for all!
You must do this for the love and not the money
mediator and facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2018
This was a non profit organization with in the TDSB that granted us budgets to go into at-risk communities, facilitating workshops and making a difference. It was worth it to see the results of positive impact and the small allowances were a bonus.
Pros
Free food and trips
Cons
Not much money for a career
Fun place to work
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2018
fast paced office environment
typically Monday to Friday, 8AM-4PM
workplace culture varies from school to school depending on other staff and admin
the hardest part of the job can be the fact that you are sitting at your desk most of the day
Supply/sna
Sna (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2018
Great experience you can aquire new skills. Its a diverse work environment. Most staff are enjoyable to work alongside with. Can be stressful depending on class or program.
Pros
You can pick the schools you want to supply in
Cons
No benefits, no sick days, no stability. Little to no room to advance due to sinority
Great
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2018
Assisted in classrooms, teachers were nice, work environment is fast paced. Class trips were fun for students. Room to grow within the board. Free to run programs
Pros
Working alongside teachers
Cons
Recess duty
Casual but professional and supportive work environment.
Employee Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2018
The Board is an excellent workplace. Management is very supportive and cordial. I would strongly recommend the Board as a workplace for those wishing to gain excellent work experience in HR and other areas within the organization.
Pros
Work, salary and benefits
Cons
Understaffing in HR areas
Enjoy my career
Parent Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2018
This position has been wonderful and I am only moving on to get closer to home and work on a higher pay scale with more hours.

I work 5 hours a day but only 4 days a week. I have attended many workshops where I have gained many skills. The management was very good at their job and thoughtful with employees. The hardest part of the job was not having enough time to do all that was needed to assist families with the support that was needed. The most enjoyable part was was the connections built with the children and parents as well as the staff I worked with.
I am a fast learner and a good team player
Computer Security Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2018
To obtain position as a computer networking and technical support professional with strong interpersonal and critical thinking skills who addresses customer support issues quickly and consistently exceeds performance standards for the growth of your organization and myself
Its ok
Painter/Assistant Maintenance Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2018
Its ok and fun.....alot of stepping on toes. Too many politics. Possible room for advancement. Everyday is a new day. Make it as you make it...take it day by day and go with the flow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2