Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews

Never again
French Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2019
As a full-time teacher, your experience is largely contingent on the school and the amount of support you receive. I was a new teacher at a rougher school and received very minimal support.

I had one grade six class of 30 kids in which half of them had SEVERE behavioural issues and were operating at a grade one/two level. It was impossible to actually teach, and the academic progress of the other, "normal"-functioning students suffered immensely.

The integration of special needs children into "regular" classrooms does NOT work and is an all-around gong-show. It is a FAILED experiment, is not backed by any evidence whatsoever, and should be scrapped immediately. The only people it hurts are all of the students involved.

I had a permanent, full-time teaching position and quit after only a year, as I felt I was operating in a structurally defunct system, and my mental health was on the brink of collapse. It is the best decision I have ever made.
Pros
Stable career, great pension
Cons
Very little work-life balance, extremely draining, impossibly demanding on many levels
great place to work
Junior Language Communications Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2019
requires you to be flexible and accommodating to students and other staff. Great salary and amazing benefits
depends on the school but very positive work environment
Fun
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2019
Fun and laid back colleagues and supervisors. The children and activities were a blast to work with, would work in an environment like this again. Amazing job.
Pros
Fun
A great place to work!!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Noth York, Ontario16 March 2019
I truly enjoy working for the Toronto District School Board. I like the teamwork approach and the ongoing professional development. As a teacher, I feel well supported by most administration. The best part of the job is my relationship with the students. The most challenging part is the lack of resource specially for the French teachers. We have to be extremely creative in the way in which we are on a never ending quest for good resources.
Positive and wonderful work environment!
Program Director at Camp Kearney (Current Employee) –  Kearney, ON14 March 2019
I have had the pleasure of working at the TDSB's Camp Kearney and Scarborough Outdoor Education School. My experience with the TDSB has been beneficial to both my personal and professional growth. It is such a pleasure to work along side such dedicated and knowledgable people. I loved waking up every morning to a new adventure!
I worked at many different schools so it was never boring.
Occasional Teacher (Former Employee) –  Woburn Collegiate7 March 2019
i arrived early so that I would be ready for my classes. I learned to be really organized and to vary the content and presentations for my classes. I worked at 20 different schools so the needs of the schools varied widely. i worked in academic schools, trade schools and schools for developmentally disabled students.
Pros
free parking
Cons
long hours and lots of demands on my time
Excellent
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 February 2019
There are many controversial opinions on the school board.
I was a summer student there 2 years in a row and it was my favourite job to date.
I would go back if given the opportunity to.

The summer is the best time to work there, working at the board is really what you make of it.
Great co-workers and a good work/life balance
Aquatics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2019
I worked for the TDSB for several years and formed some amazing relationships with both my co-workers and students. There were many opportunities to go above and beyond for the kids (clubs, coaching, mentoring).
The pay is good as well as the amount of time you get off for holidays and availability of sick days. Great experience overall.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Nothing specific comes to mind
Productive place to work
Office Secretary (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 February 2019
I have learned a lot working with the Toronto School Board, number one being how to work with various people and personality. The culture of the workplace was a good one
Great kids, great teachers
Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2019
I found that as an overarching theme teachers in TDSB genuinely care about their students and creating an environment suitable for learning. The kids in the TDSB are great.
great summer camp experience
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2019
during me working in summer camp i had an amazing time and made life-long friends staff was wonderful and was familiar with location the kids were well behaved also
Rewarding at times, but increasingly prescriptive
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2019
It is a challenging profession that has changed greatly over the last thirty years. I would not recommend it to anyone but the most dedicated, who feel strongly that it is a calling. The stress and burn-out rates are quite high, and respect for professionals has been eroded over the last thirty years.
Pros
Excellent pension and benefits
Cons
Long hours outside class and stressful
Student Caretaker
TDSB Student Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2018
A day at work was coming in at 7am and figuring out what needed to be done for the day. I was all around at a handful of schools so i never knew what needed to be done until I got to the new school. I learned my strengths and weaknesses, and I learned out to properly wax a floor and make a room look spotless. Our workplace cutler was fun and easy going, we had lots of work to do but we made it enjoyable! Hardest part of the job was the lack of A/C in 4/5 of the schools, making majority of them extremely hot or humid to work in over the summer, making the work we had to do more stressful taking us longer to complete our tasks. The most enjoyable part were how nice the hours were, 7AM to 3:30PM, i would get home by 4:30 and have the rest of the day to myself, that's the best part!
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Most times hot and humid over the summer.
Best job
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2018
Children were very loving, curious and overall a delight to work with.Set schedule. Amazing benefits. Staff were beyond a delight including the principal.
Great work life balance.
Science Educator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2018
Having small kids, working for the TDSB allowed me to work part-time hours so that I can be there for my children. In addition, schools are easily accessible by TTC and driving. Colleagues very instrumental in providing great work environment.
Pros
Flexibility
Benefits
Lunchroom Supervision
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2018
The position is great for working with kids part-time in addition to other jobs. Fellow employees and management are professional and kind. Workplace culture is generally positive.
Cons
Slow application process
Diverse culture. Challenging. Opportunities present themselves allowing you to showcase your talents and value
Telecom Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2018
Excellent institution as long as you're a self starter. Management doesn't assign your work. You have to manage the workload and make executive decisions. Management acknowledges your efforts.
Pros
It was a contract. Wish it could be full time
good o work there
DESIGNATED EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2018
• Assisted the special education teacher in monitoring, intervention and support of students with special needs.
• Assisted special education teacher in the academic instruction of special needs students.
• Assisted the teachers with the preparation of activities.
• Supervised and assist students during non-academic instructional time e.g., recess, lunch, bus loading/unloading.
Pros
good benefits for teachers
Cons
the management changes too often
Leading edge research and educational practices
Special program Elementary panel Principal (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2018
The TDSB was a very inventive employer. I had many opportunities to work in a diversive environment and with many talented people. Promotional opportunities were frequent and encouraged. I was able to learn from some excellent mentors and enjoyed my time as a teacher and school administrator.
Pros
Huge variety of school settings
Cons
Long commute and long hours
i was a lunch supervisor
Lunch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2018
pay was really god but it was only an hour long shift. so its something to consider if youre looking for something to do on the side. the principal i worked for was not the greatest...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3