Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews

Workplace differed. 3 different schools in 18 years
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2018
The system changed. The board and society in general has become far too tolerant. I became a glorified baby sitter. The attention and effort shifted from academics to behaviour. However, when dealing with behavioural issues, we had to put up and accept a lot of disrespect.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Inclusive and Welcoming environment
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2018
The Toronto District School Board aspires to provide a caring and nurturing environment that provides students with the opportunity to obtain their credits in order to obtain their high school certificate. Students are welcomed in an environment that fosters inclusivity, non-judgemental, and a free space to learn. The TDSB works hard to ensure that the students are being taught according to their educational level and accommodated where needed.
Great management team
Organizational and Information Design (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2018
Great Experience and good pay, had an amazing time working with the management. Work environment made it difficult to be more creative. Also, it was a lot less independent work.
Overall a good place to work.
Child and Youth Counsellor (Current Employee) –  3395 Weston road, north York, ont. m9m 2v927 August 2018
Good place to work. Could provide a better way to voice issues and concerns. More opportunities to help students and to implement programs that will empower our students and give them a voice.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Yard duty
Fun Workplace
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  support staff24 August 2018
Flexible jobs. Employees are always helpful and resourceful.Management open to work with me as needed.I will recommend this place of work to anyone wishing to start their career.
Very good employment
Casual Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2018
Very great place to work. Everyone is very nice. Smaller schools are easier to work in rather than in a large one. The children are amazing and they really grow on you over the time.
Room for Personal Growth
Long term Occasional teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2018
The Toronto District School Board has been my place of work for the pass eight years. I have improved personal through workshops, and training. Even though stressful at times I enjoyed working with the students. I would now like to work as coordinator and hopefully in the
near future counselor.
Amazing place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto ON22 July 2018
A professional place to work in a multicultural and ever changing environment. The students are great and the board is definitely moving in the right direction in terms of student assessment and learning.
Pros
Holiday time
fun work environment
Part Time Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2018
I enjoyed my time working for the Toronto District School Board. The hours were good, the wages are fair and the staff are all very welcoming and nice. The days went by fast and there were never any problems.
Pros
good location, excellent staff
Cons
hot work environment
Best school board
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, Canterbury14 July 2018
It was a great experience working for the largest school board in the GTA. Being at the office I was at, it was such a different but great experience being in the environment I was in.
fun work environment
Swim instructor/lifeguard (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON20 June 2018
was a very fun place to work got to interact with students and faculty just was not a very secure job. Best part was being able to coach swim teams and go to tournaments with the students.
Tdsb
Office Assistant, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Toronto31 May 2018
Typical day included managing office duties, handling students, parents and staff. Learned various processes and protocols with regards to daily operations. Towards the ending of the year would be the a busy time, gathering reports, handling mass amounts of data and having the demands to complete within a certain time frame. However, the work life balance was good as I would work throughout the school year and have holidays and summers off.
Pros
Vacationing Time
Cons
Busy Periods of The Year
Good Employer
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
Nice place to work. Huge environment so a lot to learn. Management is bit disoriented. Workplace culture is just like any other unionized environment is. Hardest part is to push the envelops for new initiative. Stress free, laid back environment.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Opportunity for conferences
Cons
Very slow
Very nice place to work, good luck trying to get full time thou
Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
you usually go in to a lower position and work your way up.
full timers, no matter how low the job title, always gets first consideration.
which does put you in a disadvantage. it's a bit better with bigger departments like caretaking, but will be very hard for smaller departments.

also need to consider which union unit youre joining since unit seniority does not transfer.

but if you can get a full time job in this company, it will be a life time gig.
Pros
Stable, well paid, great benefits
Cons
Advancement within is very hard
Math-e-Motion assistant
Math-e-motion Junior Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2018
It was great. I started my days working reception for incoming students and teachers participating in the camp, followed by doing constant running around and behind the scenes work for the camp. It was me and a few other individuals that made the camp run
The tdsb
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2018
The TDSB is a company I have worked for since 1990. During that time management style has changed significantly...not always for the good. There is too much middle management and not enough teachers in the classroom to service our students...and that is why we are really here
Enjoyable work environment
Lunchroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2018
Lunchroom Supervisor for class of 22 kindergarteners. Enhanced children's social and emotional development by encouraging proper language use, teaching them how to share space and take turns when speaking.
great place to work!
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 March 2018
i started off as a supply cyw. satisfaction really depends what location you work at. there are schools i really enjoyed working at, yet others I avoided completely. there so much to learn working here. if you are good, you will get many contract opportunities, as employees talk with other colleagues within the board. I am currently on a contract as a classroom cyw and couldn’t be happier in this postion.
Pros
good hours, supportive colleagues, fairness
Cons
inconsistency, lack of certain mandatory professional development
Hard-working, fast-paced work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
A positive workspace where mistakes cannot be made. The best part of the job is that knowing in the long run you've affected a student's life in a positive way.
The Bigger They Are The Less You Will Get
LUNCH ROOM SUPERVISOR & NOON HOUR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2018
It was an ok company, the pay was not that great, always last minute calls to ask if you were available to work on the same day or not. Overall it was an ok experience!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2