Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews

Painting school walls can be exciting!
Maintenance crew - Painting (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2017
Sanding doors at the same time helping with dumping garbages as well as a bit of painting! Drove around with supervisor to pick up paint! Good environment to make new friends!
Pros
Good Pay!
Cons
Paint Smell!
classroom
Severe Needs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
Great place to grow and learn. Staff and students are amazing. The people are friendly and treat you like family. It is a caring environment. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you will return and watch they children to continue to grow.
The school board treats its employee fairly most ofv the time
Subject Teacher (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 November 2017
you teach 3 subjects with some on-calls
you learned to deal with different students and class room management
the work culture at Churchill was very welcoming
the hardest part of the job was dealing with the admin.
the most enjoyable part was dealing with the students
Pros
some free lunches
Cons
job could be very stressful
Every day there is something new.
Emergency Position Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2017
I like when every day there is something new. It's interesting to meet new people, new students every day. It' s never boring. Different location every day...you drive to this school in the morning and you are already expecting that something new and exciting waiting for you today!
Pros
never boring
Cons
Sitting and waiting every morning for the call
friendly environment
Atypical Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
the hardest part of the job is: if you're not there full time, you definitely feel disconnected.
Overall you are there for the children, highly rewarding.
Tdsb
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto8 November 2017
Typical large city school board with a wide variety of schools, administrations and students. A strong union culture is present. The major problem is that many initiatives are started but not always completed.
Pros
Diverse culture
Cons
Difficult to advance
Productive and fun environment
Task Force and Caretaking (Former Employee) –  East York, ON31 October 2017
As a summer student for the TDSB I was able to work within various environments with a diverse community of people, while at the same time remaining with my assigned group of coworkers on a daily basis. While the job was quite demanding on occasion, my coworkers made my job at the TDSB feel like home. During my 5 years at the board, management switched over every year, and each new manager was always welcoming and easy to talk to. If my workplace environment ever got uncomfortable on a rare occasion, I was treated with the utmost respect by management. The hardest part of this job was the demanding physical labour and problem solving skills. This job really required me to be able to move large pieces of furniture across schools, and work at a fast pace. While some days were quite demanding, I always felt respected and appreciated for the jobs I was assigned to do. The most enjoyable part of the job were the friendships I have made and continue to keep. This position really did go to show that the people around you and their positive attitudes really are a key role in a workplace environment and can positively impact the efficiency and happiness of a company's employees.
knowledgeable
Coop Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2017
Worked toward developing the abilities to self-manage within a team environment the operation, maintaining, and improvement of all operating engineering areas to supply uninterrupted services (compressed air, water, steam, electricity, etc.) to the school building.
Great place to work.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2017
Great place to work. Working every day was a pleasure. I enjoyed the students and my colleagues.

I taught ESO most of the time. That was great. I met a lot of people from different countries.
Welcoming environment
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  5050 yonge street23 October 2017
As a supply you get to work in at a lot of different schools. Therefore, you experience plenty of different types of classes and how they work. The hardest part is going into the school not knowing what kind of day you'll have. The most enjoyable part is building relationship with both the children and teachers you work with frequently.
Pros
Hours (usually 8:30-3:30)
Cons
Lunch breaks are different at every school
Poor organization if you're aspirational
Employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2017
This organization is ancient in every aspect. Leadership at all levels is really poor. Managers are over paid and given the right to harass others.

Leaders do not walk the talk in any sense. Highly bureaucratic and hierarchical organization that only talks about equity for all. The irony is that the ones talking about it are practicing inequity and harassment at their own levels and find it okay when it comes to them.

Organization only looks good from the outside. It is highly ancient in everything inside. They do not even follow simple performance management procedures.

If someone wants to take their career back to square - go for it! Beware of losing your mental and physical well being. You will also realize that you are losing confidence in yourself and your own skills. Toxic environment!
Benefits
Cons
Poor leaders - who only talk and fail to walk the talk
good
Library & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2017
organizing books at school library
helping kids pick out books
signing books out/in
volunteering in classrooms as TA
going on trips with classes, helping teacher out with keeping kids together etc
Occasional Teacher
Occasional Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2017
As an occasional teacher for the TDSB you have the opportunity to travel around the GTA and teach a diverse group of students in which you follow the daily plans left by the full time teacher.
Great diversified environment for children and staff
Educational Teacher/Special Needs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to make a positive impact in the children lives regardless if they are typically developing or not. Having the opportunity to utilize my skills and ABA knowledge to create an environment that fosters a growth mindset.
Productive and fun
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2017
I liked working there , I love new working experiences . It gave me a great family atmosphere. Other employees were helpful. I'd go back in a heart beat !
Pros
Manager was really nice to work with
Cons
Far from home
I love working in a compassionate industry
Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2017
I love helping people, and it gives me joy every day when I step into the classroom to greet all the kindergarten students.

I'm also very good at my job.
wonderful experience
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2017
Working with these organization was amazing, I had to move on from them because I went back to school and then I moved a way from these areas. I am hoping to get back in these work experiences.
good place to work
LINC Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2017
Well organised, supportive place to work. Management, usually, open to criticism. Co workers were all professional, and I enjoyed working here very much.
Enjoyable experience.
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 September 2017
I have worked over 35 years for this board . I have seen a lot of new implimentations that did not really make the job better. I see the administrators that lead the school can make or break the school. More care should be given in hiring administrators for schools. They should be a good fit for the particular community that the school is in.
Pros
Interacting with many people
Cons
A lot of unpaid hours are involved
Very good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2017
Being a teachers assistant was very eye opening on becoming a teacher. Its alot harder then what people think there is a tremendous amount of hours that need to be put in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3