Toronto Community Housing Employee Reviews

Learning experience
Junior Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK29 January 2019
Got and insight of the life of children living in various communities. Opened up my mind to see the struggle of what some of these kids have to go through.
Pros
Learned a lot, made some friends
Cons
Children are unpredictable.
Tenant centred
Jr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2019
Met some amazing people at TCHC, who really cared about the community and improving the lives and well being of tenants. TCHC might have some issues from up above and have lost focus on their true purpose, however many employees have not and its not just a pay cheque to them. Thank you for the years of friendship that has been established!
Pros
Holidays off...lunch in
Cons
Stressful
Great Learning Experience
Senior Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2018
I have learned a lot will working for a large corporation, working with the corporation has broaden my perspective on many things. working there everyday was something new, challenging and exciting.
nice
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, UNISON (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2018
housing not position employees according to experience, but rather due to seniority. It doesn't matter if you were in a District position before, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up the ladder.
Fun and positive environment
Junior Program Leader - Kickstart (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2018
My experience was pretty good, it was a fun work environment that gave positive vibes all around. Would work there again it's a really good choice for a summer job
Pros
Paid Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Working at TCHC can be rewarding
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2018
This is the place you want to work if you enjoy helping others through there life journey. However the workplace politics makes the environment very toxic. Unfortunately its really about who you know in this work environment and not really about your work experience or credentials. Going into an interview feels like they already know who it is they want to hire and are just going through the motions.
Pros
You are able to support others who are in need by giving them a voice
Cons
You don't really have much support from management.
Good workplace
Field Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2018
Great place to work, just that advancement seems a bit a work for, its a job that takes a while to get up there.
If one is willing and ready to grow and keep on being committed. This is ideal.
Great
Cleaner/CMP1 (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 August 2018
Good job with benefits. Great staff. People are friendly. Alot of room to grow and move up in the company. Great pension plan with omers. Great for anybody looking to retire comfortably
Good Management , Hard Job
Homerun Scholar Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK1 August 2018
You learn how to be independent and the workers are there to support you. Sometimes you might feel overwhelmed in the job due to coworkers being unmotivated but the management always there to help
Pros
good benfits
Cons
sometimes unorganzied
great experience
Juniour Champ Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK25 June 2018
It was a fun job experience especially since it was my first. The people at this company are supportive and adhere to issues you might have, needs, questions etc. The job I had was fun as a camp counselor, I loved working with the kids but, sometimes the pressure of management made me wonder why they wanted all camp counselors to be the same ... I chose to treat the kids as if they were friends of mine so I could build better bonds with them. That said, I barely had to discipline them because they would listen to me anyways if I were their friend. The other camp counselors yelled sometimes but I never felt the pressure to do that until one of our important staff disappeared last minute. I feel like a lot of the staff don't realize how important it is to build a bond with the kids and not just viewing them as 'work'...
Pros
free snacks, lunches, items etc. Fun
Cons
no paid overtime
I promise to work hard to your satisfaction
Cleaner/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2018
Everyday I have been going to work
And I learned how not to be lazy at work
Managing the work place is excellent
You don't have to sleep at work.
Pros
We do have free lunch
Cons
1hour
positive people to be with
Structural Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2018
THC employees were very welcoming and willing to share their knowledge of the industry. There were a lot of team building and shadowing opportunities.
Pros
team social events
Cons
intern program not well structured
Loved the work culture of this particular office
Administrative Assistant- Youthlinx Program (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON26 February 2018
The staff were nice and welcoming. The manager was awesome.
I learned a lot about the city and the efforts of the Toronto City Staff here. I only wished my contract didnt end and i could have stayed on board.
fun staff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2017
This was a volunteer role for a week. Everyone was extremely friendly and had nothing but positive things to say about TCHC. I would have loved to have stayed working with the company.
work
Youthworx Field Worker (Former Employee) –  North York, ON16 October 2017
This was a great place to work. got the chance to give back and help around in various communities, talked to many tenants that were very appreciative of the fact that we were helping out.
Nice work place. Lots of processes and policies which is typical of a public organization.
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON5 October 2017
Interesting and new experience for me, having spent all my work life in the private sector before I joined. Still learning the ropes though. Loving it!
Great place for work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2017
I worked there as a co op student. I find it a great place for me to work. I want to build up my career in this company. There is much more scope to go further in this company.
Pros
good time to start job
great Pay
Community Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West, \central and \east29 August 2017
Residents are pure gold.

Management is inconsistent.

Changes happen constantly due to constant removal of upper management.

Great staff/colleagues.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not very much opportunity for growth - no transparrency
I Think I Lost my Soul
Housing Maintenance and Services Rep (Former Employee) –  931 Yonge Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4W 2H28 August 2017
Managerial staff is vindictive and employs nepotism in all of it's hiring decisions, especially where promotions or complaints are concerned. Do not expect to get far or even hired if you do not know, or are somehow related to someone in the company or the industry.

Departments are adversarial with each other based upon the way the company is administrated, and there are a great deal of underhanded behaviors and dealings with each particular department and their various sisters in Toronto.

This job probably would have cost me my soul if I had given it up, and perhaps I did, as I was a part of the managerial staff at one point, and I did not agree with anything we did.

Stay as far away from this organization as you can unless you feel that trading pay for conscious is a good way to make friends.
Pros
High Pay
Cons
Corporate Smoozing, Illegal Activities
productive and great learning environment
Relocation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2017
its great working for TCHC. benefits are good and there are much learning opportunities within the company. great place to start a career and work your way up. you work no longer than 40 hrs a week and have much time to balance work/life.