Toronto Catholic District School Board
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Toronto Catholic District School Board: 95 Employee Reviews

Canada95 reviews

teacherschoolstudentsummerchildkidskillopportunity

Rewarding work with kids but staff can be rude

Working as a lunch supervisor is fun and rewarding. It's great watching the children grow and bond getting to bond with them is great. We were also given the ability to work additional hours around the school. This was great but higher up staff can be problematic (i.e not welcoming you into their class) when you are only trying to help.

Horrible and energy draining, no work life balance.

Worst job I've ever worked hands down. You start off as part time as they are unionized, you definitely won't get chance at full time for at least 3 years. You might have to go to a different school everyday. Your supervisor calls you at 8am to tell you you'll be working from 3:30pm-11:30pm. So you have to wake up at 8am everyday to answer your supervisor. I went stir crazy. Some days you sit around and do nothing for 6 hours. Some days you're busy non stop. I would recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Insights into Toronto Catholic District School Board

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job

Over worked and under paid

Come work for the TCDSB if you enjoy trying to complete an impossible work load while not having proper equipment to do your job efficiently or if you enjoy not being able to get a straight answer about anything from supervisors and management. Unless your a teacher be prepared to be treated like a third or fourth class citizen. As a supply / daily occasional employee you have the privilege of not knowing your schedule until a couple hours before your shift is supposed to start so good luck trying to plan anything. Pay is garbage considering you’re responsible for a multimillion dollar building.

Pros

Literally zero pros

Cons

Too many to mention

Don't start here if you have expenses

The job itself is quite simple and not difficult at all. Co-workers are fine but don't believe what they tell you during the interview process/orientation about what kind of schedule you should expect. Expect to work 20 or so hours a week for many months. They'll keep promoting that you'll get full time hours or close to it but that's not true. Very long and difficult process to get full time employment at this board. If you're young and have no expenses I can see the appeal but for anyone over 25 it's simply not sustainable. No benefits as you start either and 8 days off (including medical issues) and you're gone. Honestly, I regret accepting my offer of employment and would've rather made less and gotten a full time job.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Management expectations, horrible hours and misleading recruiter practices

There was occasional get together.

It was really a good time working with the immigrants as an ESL instructor. I had the satisfaction in interacting and helping many people who really were struggling to communicate in English language. It helped me to understand different cultures and life styles.The management gave me full support and encouragement to continue my profession .

Pros

Good working environment

Cons

As it was evening classes, sometimes there was delay in getting the rooms opened.

Supply EA with TCDSB

Working as a supply EA has been a great experience for me so far. As a supply EA with the board you have an opportunity to learn and work with different age groups and classrooms ranging from JK/SK to grade 12. You work alongside a teacher, accommodating to the academic and emotional needs of young children. As a supply you have control of your hours. Whether you choose to work part time or full time.

Pros

Flexible, good work experience, opportunity to work with different age groups

It is a very stressful and competitive environment. I also find this board is quite discriminative environment.

They need to hire more minority people to work at this board.My children go to this school board and not too happy how they run things at this school board.

Pros

Teacher pension plan. Benefits. Summers off.

Cons

Long hours. You need to pay to go on workshops.

Easy, secure work for good pay

It's government. Disorganized and inefficient but you're paid decent. People advance with little to no requirements aside from being able to brown nose the right people, so the top can be filled with incompetent people. Lots of wasted money. People are set in their ways of doing things, it's very hard to change. So disorganization and inefficiencies just continues.

Pros

easy, secure, pay is okay, good work-life balance

Cons

Incompetence in how an organization should run because of incompetent people in power

Very good place to work

I’ve worked at the TCDSB for 6 years and can honestly say this is the best place I’ve ever worked. They treat you with respect and the work load is manageable. Management is friendly and supportive.

Pros

Great pension

Cons

No overtime.

Poor Management of secretaries by HR

HR is an absolute nightmare to work with. They are not understanding, kind or compassionate. HR professionals are clearly incredibly homophobic and racist. They will actively work against you in any way possible even if you are trying to reach a resolution peacefully. If there are vacant full time positions, HR will not allow you to take it on in a long term capacity if you are in a temporary position (which can mean you work 1 day a week when there are schools with absolutely no secretaries). Principals don’t understand how to run schools and often this leads to overworking the secretary and berating/belittling them as well. There is no support offered by anyone - HR or school level. The union will take care of anyone’s wrong doings which means you work with a lot of lazy people with zero work ethic. You are not paid enough for the amount you work and the hours spent at your desk - you will miss most of your breaks with no overtime paid or time made up for it. Principals come to expect you to miss lunches/breaks so they can leave the office when they please. Most principals and vice principals have attitude problems unless you’re working in a high school. You will likely work for years as a supply with inconsistent schedules until you have enough nepotism under your belt to be pushed into a long term/permanent position that should have been awarded to someone with real seniority. It’s a joke, don’t work for the Catholic board. The TDSB or peel region school boards are much better to work for.

Pros

Evenings/weekends, summers off

Cons

Literally everything else

Workplace was nice at first

Everything started well but as time went on my co-workers became hostil disrespectful and dishonest. The Superiors (Lawyers, Staff and the hiring staff became mean rude and hostil as well). I am sure the Board is fine but unfortunately the Legal Department were very unkind.

Pros

Worked from home

Cons

Colleagues became monsters

If you do not know someone you are out!

You pay Union dues and put on a seniority list that does not even apply. If you have more seniority than someone else you should be sent out to work first as you are above a person on the list. No they send employees relatives and friends before you. That is not right. I have worked for unions before and that is a no no. So why pay union dues if they do not make sure you are working in order of seniority?

Pros

All Cons

Cons

No Hours

Great once you get permanent

Great working environment, but it can take quite a while(5 years +/-) to get a permanent position. It is worth the wait if you can manage it. Lots of opportunities to learn and upgrade skills. Work life balance is fantastic, pay for support staff isn't great- needs Improvement. Great pay equality and transparency.

Worst

Horrible and treats employee like machines. job insecurity. social media policing. does not respect teachers' well-being and but pays well but its not worth it.

Pros

Cons

Itself

Productive and fun workplace

I learned how much care custodian's put into making sure school's are clean and what custodians do to make sure the hallways, classrooms, gymnasiums etc.

Nice Workplace

Nice people good environment good pay good managment nice facilities good benefit package good pension pleasant staff ok cafeteria good car allowance

Nice people

The company location is very accessible. They have a good team and management. Working there feels like in the government. You get fairly compensated. A good place to work overall.

Good place to be in if you enjoy working with children

Would not have changed my career experience- enjoyed my years. Allowing opportunities for more personal growth, find that they tend to pick and choose who they want to groom for new positions and managers alter qualifications according to the candidates they want hired.

It’s a stressful and rewarding career

It’s not easy to work in this field, because of all the many different needs of each individual child. Some children are very interested in learning and with the input of the family makes a big difference, but there are a lot more challenges today. I can’t only blame society, parents are very important in the Education of their children, and we have lots of different cultures and their ways of teaching. Some cultures put 160 %

This job deals with kids who are somewhere on the spectrum. It takes alot of patience and determination to work in this field.

I learnt alot since doing this job. You have to develop the mind set along with deep patience, courage, understanding and empathy towards all. It is great working with the kids.

Collaborative environment, sometimes stressful though

Teaching ESL class involves lesson planning, designing handouts, implementing PBLA, evaluation learners' abilities in all skills,and keeping learners' records.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toronto Catholic District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement