Toromont Cat

Toromont Cat: 135 Employee Reviews

Canada135 reviews

catshopsafetysupportculturepoorgoodopportunity

Good Company

Technically the best company to work for as a technician. Management is overworked and not enough support. There are not enough resources or people to hire. Large company still trying to run like a small company. Caterpillar has always been the strong point.

Très bonne environnement

Très bonne manager et très bonne expérience dans cette entreprise

Insights into Toromont Cat

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Good job

Good place to work. Lots of unique challenges. Lots of available work. Pretty good support for technicians. Good safety culture. Pay is pretty good. Paid travel.

Pros

Challenges

Cons

Challenges

Great place to work as a heavy equipment tech, lots of work and great enviroment

Working as a tech for toromont cat is a great experince, there are many opportunities to grow your skills and advance your knowledge. Cat has a massive product line so every day could be an opportunity to work on something new. The other technicians Working in the shop are supportive, willing to help and easy to work with. Toromont has an industry leading safety culture and strives to keep their people safe, coming from other places where safety wasn't as much of a priority this really stood out to me. The management team in the shop is made up of people who worked in the trade as well, this makes for a positive enviroment as your boss knows what challenges you are going to face, and allows them to help guide and support you effectively. Toromont invests in their employees and works with you to identify areas to improve and supportsvyou as you learn. It's a busy fast placed enviroment and not a place to come and cut corners, but if you take pride in your work and are willing to work hard you won't have any issues.

Very French!

Salary was decent. People were friendly. Management was friendly but tasks and organization was awful. Too many moving parts and senseless time wasting.

Always a struggle

Getting what you need to do your job sometimes took a long time for approval. Don’t agree with some practices. Sometimes lacked Integrity in decision making.Didn’t always think that putting people in management was feasible but everyone did their best.

Toromont is an exciting workplace.

I worked one day removing an engine from a D8K. This a day that i was able to do this on my own and on time. I was excited.I was praised by management. The hardest part of the job ii planning.The most enjoyable part of the job was singing and working.

Pros

Free barbecues once a while.

Cons

Sometimes you will have to work long hours to complete the task.

Inexperienced shop with terrible management

A very broken workplace. A very inexperienced shop and no opportunity to learn. High turnover. Management only cares about shareholders. You will have to fight for your vacation time. Old boys mentality where the wind bag gets ahead and the good worker will stay at the bottom forever. The HR department is very disconnected from the branches in NL.

Positionnement de l'équipe pour croissance !!!

Superbe équipe de superviseurs, ouverts au changement et préparant leurs équipes pour la croissance !

Very fast pace place to work.

The supervisor talks to you like you’re nothing. If you like being treated like s*** this is the place for you. You are expected to work OT, expect to lift heavy parts all day and move things around. For the money and atmosphere it’s not worth it.

Pros

Cons

Poor management, long days

Old boys club

Great schedule, good pay and benefits but unless you’re an a $$$ kisser work environment is horrible. No such thing as job security , or opportunities to move up the ladder

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Poor management

Move move move

TOROMONT CAT Vaughn was not a good place to work. No growth with in the company. Micro managed and no process work flow. You will start off as a picker which involves you being on your feet the entire day and you will be timed. .

Pros

The people

Cons

good place to work if you're in the oilfield

Very little time off, very busy out of the Grande Prairie office, always going to B.C., or high level. No time for trucks to be cleaned, or serviced.

Pros

good money

Cons

no time off

Challenging & character building

I was very proud to be an employee of Toromont Cat. I learned a lot of amazing skills including building hoses and managing parts inventory. The only issue was that management was not supportive or empathetic. Conditions were very harsh and the work load was monumental. There were times when I felt extremely overwhelmed & upon reaching out to my manager about this I was met with zero empathy. Working at the actual branch was different, but when working remotely I felt alone and not like I was part of a team. No support made for poor morale and stressful days.

Pros

Learned new skills, learned a lot about parts & Cat equipment, learned how to use SIS and HIS, learned how to use DBS & SAP for ordering parts

Cons

Poor management, lack of support, massive work load in poor conditions

Soul Sucking Place to Work at

I would rather not discuss the details of my experience as there would be too much to say.All I can say is do not work here unless you want to spend your summer sweating buckets with no AC. It is a depressing atmosphere where the management is on your a** about taking breaks for too long or working too slow. Besides the physical and mental challenges, what hurts is realizing that this 'Co-op' is only helpful if you plan to pursue a career picking nuts and bolts or packing boxes.All the negativity aside, they do hire a lot of summer students which presents you with an opportunity to meet people your age.

Pros

Weekly pay and overtime

Cons

No AC, physically and mentally demanding, horrible management and culture, nothing to learn/advance

Horrible QA manager.

Was one of the worst companies I've worked for, low pay, little support or help, no room to advance, and treated poorly. Had to work weekends as a salaried employee without compensation.

Pros

Was close to home, shop staff were good.

Cons

Poor and abusive management, worked overtime without compensation.

Productivity, stress, understaffed

This company always wants more but with less employees. They give less then the cost of life raises and demand 10% profit increase. If you want to destroy your mental health, go for it!

Pros

Fewer every day

Cons

Stressful af

most boring place to work at

Really did not enjoy working at Toromont, the most boring place I’ve ever worked at in my 20+ years, totally uninspired place, old school managment and not thinking forward nor willing to fix the way the management run IT services. Not taking about tools, just because you have mobile and web, it means you are over the top.

Pros

none, a job

Cons

boring, uninspired and backwards IT mgmt

Great place to work. I would recommend working there to whoever has the chance.

Great place and people. Enjoyed my time there. Very competitive wages with opportunity for bonuses. Also very good benefits and pension. Very customer focused.

Pros

Wages, benefits, pension and management

Cons

Can’t think of one.

Great Company, Too bad they are now Enerflex!!

It was a great place to work, too bad the bought out Enerflex and allowed Enerflex to run the company in to the ground. Or at least the Calgary shop is in trouble!! I worry for my friends that are still there!

Unsafe work conditions

Very unsafe work atmosphere ran by new people to the trade just barely licensed supervisor thrown in a supervisor position. There were two people almost killed in the shop when I worked there then the mining supervisor did the same operation five months later that created the accident that almost took out those two workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toromont Cat. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement