Tops Friendly Markets Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,217 reviews
Fast paced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lockport, NY18 May 2019
Fast paced as a cashier, learned how to deal with general public, lower management is great, culture is there’s a lot of kids, 1st job type of thing there. Hardest part of job is honestly not being bored all the time. Most enjoyable part is the other employees are good to talk too.
Pros
Breaks, savings, lenient with hours
Cons
General public walks all over you, higher management is too much to deal with, many problems created with new changes
High school job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Camden, NY 1331617 May 2019
cashing people out. good for a high school kid or older person looking for something light to make a little cash. hours are flexible. normally good about time off.
Decent place to start out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York14 May 2019
This company was a good one to start out with. You got decent hours, but never as many as you needed, and when you couldn't work as much, they would over schedule you. Department managers were cool to work with, but store managers and higher ups were a pain.
Pros
Could buy lunches there, employees are friendly
Cons
Missed breaks, prices too high, no discounts on products
Not the worst place to work, definitely not long term job
Cashier, Fuel Attendant (Current Employee) –  Lockport, NY14 May 2019
Typical shifts range from 4 to 8 and a half hours, usually spent behind a register of some sort. In the gas station, I was left on my own, which for me was a plus as most of the front end was way to argumentative for my liking. If anything displeased a customer inside the store, management was usually slow and not harsh on the punishment, as long as they liked you. If they didn't like you for any real or unreal reason, they watched you like vultures, waiting for a mistake to pounce on.
In the gas station, I was left to my own devices as long as customers got their fuel and nothing was totally broken. As time has gone by, I have seen many people get trained for that department and almost none of them either work for the store anymore or if they do still work there, they are transferred to another department where they cannot use the skills they got in the gas station (ie working in the deli or stocking shelves), making the entire process of training these employees virtually worthless.
Pros
If you can handle working on your own, the gas station is perfect.
Cons
If working on your own is a challenge working in this store might be a challenge.
ok experience
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Aurora, NY 1405213 May 2019
Tops Markets is place meant for college students and high school students, your not allowed to work over 33 hour a week because they dont want to pay health insurance. High school students were little jerks to be honest getting up in your face if you so much as give a birthday gift to someone you knew for years. but other then that it was a decent place for the most part.
Pros
people call off all the time and you get in on those hours
Cons
not allowed to work full time
work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wellsville, NY12 May 2019
Early mornings, but great people to work with. Cleaning up the same mess gets frustrating after a while. The time clock is always tricky to punch in or out of.
Not worth it
Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NY10 May 2019
I've been working at Tops for a year the compensation is minimum wage don't let them fool you when they say the wage is "competive" because its not, no sense of teamwork, managers for the department leave you alone while they go do other tasks that could've waited until later,when its a rush (especially at night) no one barley cares to help you, the crew & managers love to not finish the production for the day and leave it for the next person who comes in. its not worth it at all I honeslty can say I love the customers and the people there but it isn't worth it everyday its the same thing nothing new to learn,not challenging, boring. it just gets tiring for the amount you get paid and its not worth all the work they expect you to do. The only pros to working here is my breaks and some of my co-workers and my days off, if management would step up and pay was better i think my opinion would very well change,maybe this is not the situation in every store but it is in mines.
Would not recommend
Floating cashier (Former Employee) –  Saranac Lake, NY9 May 2019
Was scolded and given heavily reduced working hours for covering other peoples shifts when called in to do so. Store was very short-staffed during my time there, corporate refused to hire anyone else.
Pros
limited dental insurance after 1 years work
Cons
the whole job
Not a bad day
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Corporate Office8 May 2019
Work at Tops Markets is strenuous without much upside. The work is fine and the time required and flexibility are okay. The company pays below average with the idea of compensation being through a strong bonus system.
Respectful environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  West Seneca, NY8 May 2019
A typical day at Tops is a very fast paced environment being at the customer service desk. I enjoy working there and interacting with my peers and customers.
okay i guess
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NY24 April 2019
I highly recommend getting a job at Tops because the workers there are very friendly and some of the management helps you in whatever way they can. the store manager may be a little rough around the edges but he is an efficient manager when it comes to the means of taking care of the store. the other managers are friendly and try their best to take care of the employees. the hardest part of the job was the customers who caused issues. I had a great time working for tops for the last five years and I am grateful for the experiences and the things I learned.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
short breaks and some management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Irondequoit, NY24 April 2019
My overall experience at Tops was great. The people were very nice and welcoming and always ready to help whenever it was needed. The job tasks were very simple and easy.
To much friction
Cashier/ Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Elbridge, NY 1306024 April 2019
Not friendly at all to work for. Too many bosses and not enough workers. Manager never around. And you need a day off , you got a better chance of just calling in, you always get scheduled when you need it off. You ask if you can get more hours not in the budget. Its a joke.
Great Atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clifton Springs, NY23 April 2019
I worked with a lot of nice people and some nice customers. Typically, I worked work a six hour shift but there was a chance that it could be an eight hour shift. I could also end up with a shift that was at least 4 hours.
A good company
Carry Out Café Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellsville, NY23 April 2019
I feel that Tops Friendly Markets itself is a good Union based company to work for. Keeping in mind that you are working retail and have to deal with the public, such as they are and can be.
Highschool job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NY 1442522 April 2019
I would only recommend this job to somebody currently enrolled in school. The pay is horrible, yet most of the managers expect you to break your back for the store. Most of the time it's incredibly boring or slow.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wellsboro, PA21 April 2019
This company is good to work for. They have good associates. They have good attitude. It’s a clean working place. The deli is a fast working pace. You have to do a lot in the deli.
Pros
I don’t know
Cons
I don’t know
10/10 don't recommend
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NY19 April 2019
If you enjoy being in a fast paced work environment that doesnt pay you nearly what you deserve this job is for you. management plays favorites and customers aren't very respectful no matter how you are treated. There is very clear favoritism from management, and not a lot of lee-way for employees. You are expected to always be working extremely hard with little to no benefit, and are paid minimum wage if you've been working there for years, the same as someone walking in the door. I do not recommend working here.
nice place to buy groceries even if it is expensive
deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Lowville, NY17 April 2019
Customers are overcharged for the products they purchase. Employees engage in the harassment of other employees and push hard working employees into doing other employees share of work without receiving credit. If they don't like you they turn you into human resources. Instead of correcting problems, they are pushed under the rug by store management. A negative and stressful work environment with unethical and unsympathetic employees who are protected by the union when they should be fired.
enjoyed working at tops
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NY14 April 2019
Worked in a very small store with out any room to grow. Very nice people to work for. Learned a lot. Great benefits. Loved the customers the most of all.