TOMMY GUN'S ORIGINAL BARBERSHOP Employee Reviews

Most supportive company I have ever worked for.
Barber (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 March 2018
I have worked for independent shops for over 12 years. Sure, there was no formal dress code or structure to the experience, but there was also no opportunity to grow in the companies, no medical benefits or paid vacation, free education, etc. Tommy Gun's is a family business that understands the importance of work/life balance.
Started off great to work at, until half the staff was forced to quit.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 January 2018
Almost everyone I knew while working for Tommy guns has either been fired or forced to quit. This place definitely plays favourites. If you end up working here don’t upset the owners or their family or they will make sure you get fired. Even if they have to lie about it. You don’t get benefits till after 9 months but good luck making it that long.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Overworked, management, head office, pay, benefits
Poor management
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 December 2017
Managers have no training, apprentices don’t get trained. Favouritism exists in the company. Managers like to point fingers if a mistake happens under their watch. I would never work for Tommy Guns again, horrible experience, high turn-over. District manager would rather fire someone than listen to employee concern(s).
Pros
Meet fun clients
Cons
Horrible atmosphere
company on the rise
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2017
Tommy Gun's is still young and building on their brand.
Too much change and not enough consistency throughout the company.
As a manager you are expected to be on-call 24/7, this position should be salaried.
Pros
met some really great people
Cons
too much favouritism
Decent better than alot of salon jobs out there
Barber (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB30 November 2017
If you are an extremely slow worker or like a work environment that is slower paced don't bother applying . Typical day at work is doing 10 plus men's haircuts. Shaves in between haircuts break up the day which is nice. Staff is generally friendly , in a way the workplace cultures at some TG have been compared to be similar to that of a highschool . Which could be considered good or bad depending on what you like. To some degree you have the ability to control your own wage if you are good & fast at cutting hair & like to work hard.....you can make a pretty decent wage:) Management is pretty good. The hardest part of this job is dealing with some of the clients. I found their are some very ignorant ppl that can walk though the doors at the TG'S .....& yet at the same time most enjoyable part of this job is dealing with clients that are great ppl. It's good they have a receptionist to answer phone & greet clients so stylists can concentrate on client.
Pros
Some days are pretty interesting & plus the $$$
Cons
You will always be covered in hair
Favoritism at its best
Employee (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 July 2017
If you get along with management you'll do great ..... but do not upset them .
No matter how hard or long you work it will never be enough .
No matter how much you love the company there bottom line is numbers you'll just get shorter shifts till you have no choice but too quit .
Amazing work atmosphere
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC20 June 2017
I have worked with the company for 4 years now and not only do I love where I work, I love the whole environment of the company. I come to work every day knowing that I am part of an amazing team, in my store, and beyond, in head office and throughout the corporation. Being a part of the Tommy Gun's team is amazing with the benefits, pay opportunities and amazing atmosphere to work in!
Love my job.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 June 2017
Tommy Gun's is an amazing company to work for. There is support from upper management when needed, work/life balance is great. There is a team atmosphere that is no contest and our guests are pretty fantastic. When you work for Tommy Gun's it's not just a paycheck, you gain a family.
Its a family environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  British Columbia15 June 2017
I love working for Tommy Gun's. Its like a huge family. Very supportive, lots of education, great interaction from corporate to the shops. Lots of room to grow as its still considered a small business with 59 locations but growing fast in a good way! Would not change it for the world!
I love my job!
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC15 June 2017
Tommy Guns is a fantastic company to work for. They value their employees and there is a teamwork feeling throughout the entire company. It is a professional, fun, creative place to work. They are cutting edge in the latest trends in men's grooming as well as the products that support it. I truly love my job and am thankful I get to work with such amazing people.
Great Workplace
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 June 2017
I have been with this company for a while now. I must say, this is a very fun, trendy and hip place to work with a lot of creative and strategic thinkers! Everyone is so passionate that it keeps the company running full speed with great energy everyday!
Pros
Events, Meet and Greet with Industry Leaders, National Summits, Work Trips, Benefits, Respect, Genuine.
No management ethics
Barber (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB PC location29 April 2017
I wouldn't recommend this barbershop to be a stable secure place to work, no room for self growth, you feel like a number not a person. If management new how hard there staff worked every day, they may treat them better. No rules that are enforced or followed. Favoriting staff whom are not reliable or trustworthy. If you have any issues to bad, nothing gets resolve in a respected manner. You get written up asap if you speak up, can't be you, you begin to change and in my experience not for the good! Sad :(
Pros
Two 15min breaks and a half hour lunch
Cons
Untrained management, no team work
Tommy Gunz Bayshore
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON23 March 2017
I had a wonderful time working in this small and tight knipped workplace. The girls there were so supportive, kind and friendly. Tommy Gunz had many male clients that became like family, as there were many regulars. Great management and owners.
A great experience
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
Tommy Gun's is great work experience. There's plenty of room for growth and advancement if you work hard. It's a very fast-paced environment and takes a positive attitude.
Pros
decent wage, new people, good experience, staff discount
Cons
long wait times, app sometimes doesn't work, high turn over rate due to fast-pace
Oshawa location is garbage
Former barber/stylist (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 January 2017
Very poorly managed. Manager has no experience in barbering, or even managing staff for that matter.
Girls that worked there were great as a team, but it's proof that poor management destroys everyone's desire to work there.
Great environment, good people. Overall was a great job.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 December 2016
I was on reception so I helped clients get settled and pay for their services or product. During my time of employment I cleaned the store and learned till, I did not finish but while I was there it was relatively easy to catch on.
Fun atmosphere....great bunch of people!!!
Stylist / Manager (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB( prairie mall)23 November 2016
Love working at Tommy gun's ....it's everything you could want in a company as an employee. Fun, up beat place,Great pay. Would definitely recommend Tommy's gun's to anyone as an awesome place to work!!!
This place is a joke. very poor management, zero room for advancement, favouritism, And absolutely zero appreciation for the stylist.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 October 2016
I would definately not recommend working at Tommy Guns in Grande Prairie. the owner is unfair and runs a very poor morale. Tommy Guns franchise itself is a very cool chain, and if ran by the right people would be an awesome place to work. No HR, so any issues you may have well too bad!!!
Pros
Great clients, neat funky environment work setting.
Cons
Very negative atmosphere
Productive and fun workplace!
Barber Stylist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2016
Great manager, no complaints. Busy, lots of clients and great tips. Learned how to do men's cut quickly and efficiently. Learned how to do current styles, fades. Enjoyed clientele and coworkers.
Pros
Stylist support program, benefits, company makes sure you take breaks, paycheques always right and on time, lots of product to use
Cons
Wait for benefits is too long, some of the ideas of the CEO aren't appropriate, education offered to longer-term stylists should be made available to everyone, or when they come back from a conference maybe taking an hour or two to share what they learned.
Poor management
Hairstylist Apprentice (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB7 February 2016
Management system is very poorly planned and needs a professional reworking. The schedules were unfair and not flexible at all. Very under staffed and the staff that are there are over worked.
Pros
Wonderful stylists to work with
Cons
Schedules are not flexible