Tom Harris Cellular

Tom Harris Cellular Management reviews

Canada29 reviews
Sales is the number one priority in this company, if you do not reach targets you will not bonus. The bonus is what makes working at this company worth it. There are opportunities for growth in management if you are driven and successful in sales. Lots of overtime and are never closed for holidays.
Management wasn’t a thing, there was no coaching, just constantly being put down. The bonus structure was horrible. First job in sales I have had where you don’t get commission on what you sell. Very high turnover rate. The store would be much more successful with a different manager on board. The higher ups were all great though.
Pros
I got let go
Cons
Accepting the job offer
I had the misfortune of working for a location in Calgary. The management team was deceitful, incompetent and unfair. They once docked 100s of $ off the pay of a single mother because she was understandably late for a single shift. Heartless and callous management that only cares about the bottom line.
Really great environment with good help easily accessible and good teamwork attitude. Good workplace culture.
Senior management is easily accessible and easily approachable.
I have been with this company for nearly 8 years and have worked in several locations. I have had the pleasure of learning from some of the brightest and most competent people in the industry.
Tom Harris Cellular pays on performance. You work hard and you get rewarded for your efforts. I won my first trip in less than 6 months of working here. Since then I have won several more trips and LOTS of other prizes.

They have a very good management training program which you should try to get into even if your long term goals are focused elsewhere.
They really stress the "growth of their people." So if you want to move up they will certainly help you. You're not just a number in this company. I personally know every executive manager on a first name basis.

They do expect a lot out of their employees but I expect a lot out of myself. Therefore I have no problem with that. It's a fun work culture. With a young and positive spirit.

I have worked for quite a few multi-national companies and even made a lot more money with other companies but never had a better work environment.

Management is open minded and easy to get a hold of. The company is always willing to listen to your suggestions. If they make sense for the business, they will implement them.
Pros
Caring Management Team and Owners, Great Perks and great benefits
Cons
Sometimes having to work with staff who don't appreciate where they work.
I've always had good managers but with Tom Harris ive seen the managers go above and beyond, they care about the employees more than you can imagine. The money is good, the health benefits are unreal, the hours are reasonable but the coworkers you'll get are easy to get along with and funny, cant say ill ever regret working here
Pros
Great cowkrokers
Cons
There is high management turnover in this city as well as high turnover for employees, which was commented on by many long-time clients of this business. Pay is good but the structure keeps changing and targets are becoming more stressful to reach.
Hours are long and only one half hour break is provided for a meal in an 8.5 hour day.

The hardest part of the job is that with few employees in the store, we are expected to not only hit top targets each month but also do a lot of administrative tasks that one would think the manager should be doing. The added stress of all this together makes for quick burnout.

If one isn't skilled in separating work/life then it's very easy for this job to take over your free time as well due to the personal nature of your connection with clients.

If you're able to handle all that, though, you can easily become a Senior Sales representative with a good record of hitting your top targets, and there is a lot of support from the management team to advance if you take the initiative to reach out.

There's also a support team in the form of a chat group with other stores so that if you or your coworkers are having trouble with something, you can reach out and crowdsource which was a really nice aspect of the job. The community and culture of the company was a pleasant part of the work experience.
Pros
Employee cell phone plan, career advancement opportunities
Cons
Long hours, stressful, high-pressure
alright place of work. Employees are fun to work with, but management was barely a thing and bonus/sale structure was a nightmare. Turn over rate is blinding. There is barely enough staff and booking time off was extremely difficult.
Cons
Bonus/commission structure was unrealistic. Terrible communication with higher management.
They tell you your commissions will be good but they’re horrible, minimum wage for a job that eats away at your wellbeing, very incompetent management & awful work environment
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Bad pay
I LOVED working for THC. Very well organized, true to what they say and promiss you. The 170th was where I worked for 1.5 years. Would go back ANYTIME! Super friendly and understanding staff, management was awsome.
Pros
Everyone was amazing
Cons
Open sundays
I love my current job in terms of representing TELUS. I love every single day at job. The culture at Tom Harris is phenomenal and friendly. Expect same level of support and management in my next part-time job.
Pros
Great perks like demoline, RRSP contribution, Incentives, culture
Cons
I was found this job extremely rewarding working with the customers, sadly the vague goals and management consistencies.
Pros
money potential
Cons
management inappropriateness
Very focused on results (mostly sales related but customer service targets are integrated into targets as well). Positive, young, upbeat team. The organizational culture reflects hard workers being rewarded well (trips, prizes including free cars for top sales reps) and over all a great rewards system. Top performers have the option for advancement into management or business sales.
Pros
Pays well, lots of prizes, up beat
Cons
Results are expected.
Tom Harris is first and foremost a retail focused company. Working in their outbound sales department is an exercise in poor training, poor management, high pressure, and a pay structure which is not transparent.

You will sell phones, but not get paid for selling phones. You will sell 20K per month, but get paid for only 7K. You will be expected to make thousands of totally cold calls, and be expected to sell 25K-30K per month within 6 months, with NO residuals at all.

You will be your own admin, warehousing, product pipeline, order filling, order taking, service dept., and of course sales dept. If you lose track of a phone, which is easy to do with their system, you buy it.

If you're absolutely in love with wireless, you'll put up with this, but even still, it's a lousy job.

My favorite line at Tom Harris:

"There's no money in cell phones."

This is their excuse for not paying reps for cell phone sales. I asked them how Apple and Samsung got to be among the most profitable companies in the world selling cell phones if there's no money in cell phone sales.

edit:

"There's no money FOR YOU, in cell phone sales."
Pros
employees generally nice
Cons
pay structure, management
Tom Harris Cellular is a very great company to work for. I have been here for 8 years and have enjoyed working close with a great management and sales team. If you are looking to work in a positive team environment this is the place to be.
Pros
great compensation