Tolko Industries Ltd logo
Tolko Industries Ltd

Tolko Industries Ltd Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work

Good working conditions, excellent safety conditions followed with regular safety and training when required. No discrimination due to gender or race.

11 March 2021
Thank you for the positive review! As a leader in forest products, we have a responsibility for diversity and inclusion, not only to our company but also to our industry. We're proud to hear you haven't witnessed any discrimination as it is our goal to create a workplace where all employees feel welcomed and valued as a member of the Tolko family.

Toxic place to work

Safety is okay. Lots of things not reported. They say report smallest of things but then they (management and coworkers) ridicule people who do exactly that.No work life balance. They don't care about you. They want you at their beck and call and dont care if you've rescheduled family activities or appointments several times. All you will get is the response that that is the way it is and if you want to continue to work there don't complain.Backstabbing and gossiping amongst workers is the worst I have ever seen. They make fun of people if they make a mistake and are quite ignorant. Every employee there will tell you bad things about working there and the only good thing they can say is that they pay well.Not a good environment.

Unsecure work place with false promises and guaranteed layoffs

Known for it's mass/ routine layoffs, and will let you go as soon as times get a little hard (which is common in forestry). Makes a lot of promises it can't commit to and will change management strategies regularly and ineffectively. Pay and people are generally good but not a company to grow with long term. Not transparent. Just looks at the bottom line and doesn't value people even though they say they do at every meeting. Always blind sided from constant and regular change coming from management. They are a Leader in diversity apparently but women and young professionals are the first to go.

Pros

coworkers and alright pay/ benefits

Cons

Job security and management

One of the top 3 employers in BC

World class management culture. Best in class human resources, marketing, operations and financial management.Leader in their industry and in the community.Work life balance and integrity are core values in everything they do and they live those values every day.

27 March 2021
Thank you for your review! We love that you love working here and appreciate your feedback. Our values guide everything we do - we're glad you've experienced that first hand in your role!

Worst place to work in the industry

Do not even think about working for tolko, there is not one happy worker that is working there. Management is the most incompetent people I've ever worked for. Maintenance Forman is the biggest screw up out there, and is incapable of telling the truth.

Pros

Cons

Management is the worst, you cant trust any of them.

11 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. We'd like the opportunity to make improvements and would love to hear more about what we can do. Indeed reviews are anonymous, but we invite you to contact your HR Business Partner to discuss issues you've identified so that we can work together to improve your working environment.

Rewarding but demanding

Great place to work. You will get paid well and it's worthy if you work shiftwork and can handle 12 hour days. Management is pretty fair, the team leads are usually pretty good to their crew, but can be tough on employees who need a push.Biggest issue is organizational planning, or lack thereof

Pros

Great Pay, Good Environment

Cons

Organizational Issues, Long Hours

11 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave us this positive review. We're happy to hear you find your work rewarding! However, to help us improve, we welcome you to speak with your local HR Business Partner.

Good work life balance . Pay is very fair .

Work life balance , good shift work and pay is good . Room for education and advancement . Fair distribution of overtime . Paid medical leave and employer matches RRSP contributions . Benefit packages are very good through Sunlife .

11 March 2021
Thanks for the positive review! We’re proud to offer competitive pay and exceptional benefits that help employees care for themselves and their families!

Great Experience

I've worked at Tolko for over 8 years and have nothing but positive things to say about my experience. I've had multiple opportunities for career advancement and have received awesome training both from colleagues and in-house training. Overall I've been supported by an amazing group of people that make it fun to come to work every day.

Pros

Training, Career Development, People, Salary and Benefits are great!

8 December 2020
Thanks for the amazing review! We truly believe we employ the best and brightest in the industry. We're happy to hear you've been able to participate in the training initiatives we offer and have had the opportunity for growth within your field!

I enjoyed working at tolko

I was a fire watch person at Tolko industries, my job was to make sure no sparks or flames were sparked during the hours of the tradesmen. I stood aside the tradesmen with a water hose ready to spray the sparks and put the flames out

11 March 2021
Thanks for the positive review, we're glad to hear that you enjoyed your fire watch position!

Do not work there harassing and bullying environmental

Good money but expect to be pooped on.finding out alot of company's don't respect employees, if they did they would get more work out of them .they need to pay abit more money so people can actually live properly.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Bullying and harassment

8 December 2020
We're sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We are aware of some of the issues within our Merritt operation before its closure in 2016. Respect is one of our values and should you chose to work at one of our other operations we hope we can provide you with a much better experience.

Jobs at Tolko Industries Ltd

See more jobs

Not what I expected

I was told I'd be on a rotating schedule, week of days, week of evenings, week of nights, moved 1500km for the job and got put on straight nights, that offers no quality of life when it's 5-8 hour shifts a week, if 12 hr shifts, no problem. Old, dark, dirty, depressing workplace. .

Pros

Reasonable pay

Cons

8 hour shifts

Good place to work with fair wage

Tolko was a good place to work once you get on full-time. You start as a casual worker, but once you’re apart of the team, as long as you work hard and show initiative. You can move along

Poor management

Management is incompetent and no clue what is going on, they hire their buddies and cover up for each other. Hide production issues to make themselves look good and safety is just a word thrown around when the boss visits

Pros

Wages

Cons

always worried about job security if you are not a buddy

pay is good

pay is good. Some of the people working there are not as great. Power is given to those who may abuse it. It is one of the highest paying jobs in the okanagan which is a bonus.

Best gig ever

Top grade management. They acted professionally and treated me like a professional. Just my own view. The only reason I left was because I knew the Kelowna location where I was at was on the verge of being shut down.

Hard work but pays well

I worked at Tolko over the summer as a weekend job where I cleaned in and around the mill. It’s very exhausting work, but you are paid very well. Recommended for students

fast paced, labour job

interesting place to work, can learn a lot about the forest and lumber industry in Canada, if you like hard work this is the place for you, you can really work up a sweat in a days work

3 years of Stress

Worked at Lavington mill in prod. for 3 years. Plant Manger is a bully. Disrespectful dictator. Hired 3 of his 'hockey' buddies who had no experience

Productive safe workplace;

Already filled out my review idk why i gotta do it again. But it's a good place to work with alot of different things to learn. Management was good and friendly Culture was good

Learned a lot from talented people

Had a great time learned alot accomplished goals and did it safe good leaders. Was sad to leave but my family is from provinces over and it was time to move home

Good company safety culture and potential for advancement for individuals with the right skills, knowledge, and personality.

Workplace morale is low due to commodity prices. In my time at Tolko, it was my opinion that management did not attempt to rally worker morale. To increase productivity, management considered banning cell phones in the entire plant site.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tolko Industries Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement