Tolko Industries Ltd Employee Reviews

ok place
carloader (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC17 May 2019
I worked at that mill for many many years. In the beginning when I started (1990's) It was a great place to work. BUT the last 5 years haven't been so rosy.
Positive Enviro
Woodlands Assistant (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC29 April 2019
Great place to work, positive work environment, supportive staff, encouragement to get out of the office and go in the field with Foresters.
Fresh environment
They try hard
Mechanical Supervisor OSB Plant (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB10 April 2019
They try hard. A lot of growing pains and big turn over of personnel.Recruiting is not their strong suit. People are good to work with and more training would be an asset
good pay and benefits
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lavington, BC8 April 2019
Good pay and benefits, semi-hard to balance personal life with fluctuating shift schedule. Large site so lots of room for advancement, just takes a little longer then one would want to wait for. Good crew to work with everyone is generally friendly.
Pros
benefits and Pay
Cons
Fluctuating shift schedule
Worst Job Ever
clean up, strips, taylor (Former Employee) –  WL14 February 2019
I was a bit overqualified for an entry position after working days my entire life.
Tolko will use fear manipulation to get you to do what they want and to behave the way they want. It is a form of narcissistic abuse which has lasting effects if you buy into it.
If you dont buy into it you will have people make your job tasks more difficult.
They also are big on using Neuro Linguistic programming to have you believe you are working for the best company which they clearly are not.
Safety was made out to be a primary concern but several times I was put at risk in non safe situations working at heights. As was the safety of anyone below.
Several times I witnessed actual or near miss events which were not reported by the supervisor.
I personally told the forman to make sure a safe work procedure was created. Nothing ever was done and several hazards still exist.
If you are first nations expect to experience racism from others. I was the only status employee of over 200. That should say enough in itself.
It is a paycheque. A little over 1500. Good pay for someone just graduated.
Theres heaps more i could write but feel I have made my point.
The place has the psychological structure of what most would call a cult.
Feel free to see for yourself.
Pros
A paycheque
Cons
Manipulative Cult like Atmosphere
busy place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC25 January 2019
stacker operator-,stacking between 120-175 loads a day(8 hours) -stacker operator means you say busy all day,
planer feeder 250 to 300 board feet a day- you keep up with all wood that arrive in front of with sorting the wood before it goes in the planer.
Pros
i prefer the work that is high pace and keeps you busy
Cons
some times stressful
tolko
Weekends (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC14 November 2018
I worked at Tolko L.V. for 2 years on the weekend shift. i enjoyed it to an extent money was good people where good and bad some workplace bully but to be expected but i was laid off for 8 mounth immediately after i was hire
Pros
high salary
Cons
hours were inconsistant
Great company to work for.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC14 November 2018
I loved working for tolko, they have a great union set up to always benifit the worker. I would recommend working here to anyone. Great pay, easy work, and a good atmosphere.
high wage hard work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Armstrong, BC10 September 2018
good student job, one graveyard shift per week, Friday nights, midnight until 8 am. Kind of takes away Friday and Saturday because usually you're bagged after and just come home and sleep all day. other than that its fine if you like hard work for good money
Pros
good money
Cons
graveyards
no comment
sawmill quality control (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB5 September 2018
Progressive and technological driven. Safety is a important part of the managements focus. Family owned business. Supporter of the community and employees. Was well supported in decisions.
Pros
progressive
Cons
High level in a remote location.
Hard working environment
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB16 August 2018
Fast paced and sometimes scattered working environment. Safety is a huge thing and people are willing to help newbies learn the ropes. Management doesn't always communicate but they do their best.
Worst place I ever worked.
Dry chain (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB15 August 2018
Working in the planer is definitely not a place for a young native male. Racism at its finest. Never felt so mistreated at a workplace before. Fired during my probabtion period because I asked if we worked during Easter holidays after I busted my butt off alone on the dry chain for a week.
Pros
I’ll never go back
Cons
Racism
Great people, benefits, weird shift
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB15 August 2018
Great working environment, great benefits, but the shift is sort of wonky, its very scattered, But also there is some information that is misleading in the orientation, that they do not follow through with.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Management dont care at all.
Challenging
Production Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB9 August 2018
A day to day challenge is what i live for, and accomplish them on a day to day basis at Tolko. It is a friendly atmosphere to work.
Many new people to train on a weekly basis.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
No advancement.
Great experience
PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC12 June 2018
Hard labour, but the pay was very rewarding. Worked as a foreman and enjoyed my time there. Luckily my team was competent and everyone knew their role and leaders were good to us as well.
Tolko is a very diversified company to work for.
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC7 June 2018
I worked for Tolko for approximately 11 years. I began my employment as an “on call” general labourer and very quickly (one week’s time) moved to having full time hours on a regular shift. This, I noticed, was a somewhat common occurrence. My position advancement occurred at almost the same pace. By the end of my time with Tolko, I had advanced to the position of technical writer and Safety Coordinator. Over the 11 years I was there I observed a monumentally positive change in the safety culture through the updating of the company’s policies and procedures. Form this, the management team and shift crews also improved in general moral and production.

I learned a great deal of lessons in my time with Tolko. The hardest part of the job for me was leaving when the plant closed in December of 2016. I had made many friends there that I honestly wasn’t ready to part ways with.

Overall, I would recommend Tolko as an employer not just for a job but for the opportunity of advancement as well.
Pros
Steady employment
Cons
Most positions are subject to the weather conditions.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC28 May 2018
Learn lots with this company, high intensity job when your on production at times, solid place to work, good pay as well. Started working on clean-up when I was in high school.
good place too work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Armstrong, BC16 May 2018
good place to be employed, north Okanagan with a wide range of things to do in off hours such as fishing hiking, boating camping and the list goes on and on
Pros
8 hr shifts and home every day
Cons
lower wages
Very productive and safe mill
Sawmill Worker (Former Employee) –  Armstrong, BC24 April 2018
very concerned with safety. one of the most automated sawmills in western canada. very much enjoyed working there. supervisors respect hard work and are understanding of personal limitations.
Awesome place to work
Firewatch (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BC29 March 2018
Great wages and benefits for everyone. Firewatch pays a good wage to help pay for school for students. Greats hours, tons of Overime. Everyone is there to help and teach.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
Lose your weekends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tolko Industries Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.