Tolko Industries Ltd Employee Reviews

Tolko is a very diversified company to work for.
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC7 June 2018
I worked for Tolko for approximately 11 years. I began my employment as an “on call” general labourer and very quickly (one week’s time) moved to having full time hours on a regular shift. This, I noticed, was a somewhat common occurrence. My position advancement occurred at almost the same pace. By the end of my time with Tolko, I had advanced to the position of technical writer and Safety Coordinator. Over the 11 years I was there I observed a monumentally positive change in the safety culture through the updating of the company’s policies and procedures. Form this, the management team and shift crews also improved in general moral and production.

I learned a great deal of lessons in my time with Tolko. The hardest part of the job for me was leaving when the plant closed in December of 2016. I had made many friends there that I honestly wasn’t ready to part ways with.

Overall, I would recommend Tolko as an employer not just for a job but for the opportunity of advancement as well.
Pros
Steady employment
Cons
Most positions are subject to the weather conditions.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC28 May 2018
Learn lots with this company, high intensity job when your on production at times, solid place to work, good pay as well. Started working on clean-up when I was in high school.
good place too work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Armstrong, BC16 May 2018
good place to be employed, north Okanagan with a wide range of things to do in off hours such as fishing hiking, boating camping and the list goes on and on
Pros
8 hr shifts and home every day
Cons
lower wages
Very productive and safe mill
Sawmill Worker (Former Employee) –  Armstrong, BC24 April 2018
very concerned with safety. one of the most automated sawmills in western canada. very much enjoyed working there. supervisors respect hard work and are understanding of personal limitations.
Awesome place to work
Firewatch (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BC29 March 2018
Great wages and benefits for everyone. Firewatch pays a good wage to help pay for school for students. Greats hours, tons of Overime. Everyone is there to help and teach.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
Lose your weekends
Marry into the family
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB22 February 2018
It is an odd dynamic. Almost everyone in upper management is married to someone else in upper management. It is like a dysfunctional family. The work is good if you can get past the politics
Great work environment
FIRST AID ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC22 January 2018
Excellent place to work and gain experience friendly environment great workers training is great and accurate staff are always willing to help great team to work with!!!!!
decent facilities and colleagues, upper management lacked credibility.
Red Seal Millwright, Charge Hand (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC21 January 2018
My peers and colleagues were good to work with and my immediate supervisors were good to work for. The company culture was not forthright and upper managers did not always act in good faith.they did offer and provide further training in my scope of work, which was appreciated and I utilized as much of it as I could.
Poorly run
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BC19 January 2018
The maintenance group in the sawmill that I work in is a great group of guys, the guys that are on the tools anyway. That being said the management are very much bosses and not leaders. There is very little to no coaching and building up of the employees, just belittling, micromanagement and managing the task and how it’s done rather than who does it. There is no leadership on major events, just after the fact conversations.

At times it can be extremely frustrating working her and it all boils down to the management and their attitude and approach to the workers. Fix that and it would be a great place to work. Instead it breeds low morale and lost productivity.
Pros
Excellent pay, good benefits, good location
Cons
Lack of leadership, poor management, lack of positive engagement, unprofessional atmosphere
Great place with comfortable setting and people
Marketing and Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC12 January 2018
Worked in domestic sales as a co-op student. Helped the sales team in anyway possible. This included finding customers, pulling up past sales information, simplifying documentation. Co-workers were great and knowledgeable.
Pros
Free lunches and open workplace
Cons
Long hours at times

Want to know more about Tolko Industries Ltd?

Ask a question
Better jobs elsewhere
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BC28 December 2017
Very toxic culture. Poor management, zero leadership. If you enjoy beating your head against the wall on a daily basis then Tolko is the place for you!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
tolko is great
Weekend Cleanup (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC27 November 2017
this place was amazing to work at. it was always safe and I was constantly learning. the supervisor was nice to me and was able to diffuse issues calmly. the hours were always consistent and sometimes Saturdays would be longer so we could have a short Sunday.
Interesting work. Flexible hours. Good pay
Shipping Administrator - part time (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 November 2017
My responsibilities were to cover this position when my co-worker went on holidays and when she went back to school. It was interesting work but stressful. There was great attention to details. I am still on the payroll but have not worked since April, 2017
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Stressful
Productive, fast paced
Loghandler (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB4 November 2017
Fast paced, good pay. Tolko let me learn all the jobs that I could get my hands on . Logloader, Bucket operator,Grapple operator, Grader operator,forklift operator, as well as some jobs in the sawmill
Pros
Lots overtime
Good place of work
Weekend cleanup (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB22 October 2017
Decent people kind of easy work can get repetitive but always stuff changing. Worked around big machinery and was tought a bunch about safety procedures and also other various things.
A great experience
Operator (Former Employee) –  High Prairie, AB23 September 2017
I had a great experience in the years with Tolko. Every shift was a challenge to apply my strengths as a leader and analyzer of anomalies. The knowledge I've gained of the MIlls process and the chemistry of its manufacturing is top quality.
Pros
Every opportunity to grow
Cons
Not focused on community and the families in their Alberta Operations
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC22 August 2017
Production was over safety when it come to running loader they never followed there speed limits and roads where often left extremely icy. The bosses however where good with days off
Pros
Free lunches, overtime options
Great Crews Poor Managment
Supervisor/Leadhand (Former Employee) –  Lavington, BC27 July 2017
Hrly Guys are great and hard workers. Upper Management needs to be changed. They will make you into a machine at what you are good at. But dont care about family or service.
Pros
Money
Cons
Managment
Great place to make good money, but there are problems
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB24 June 2017
I worked at Tolko for a year as a production worker. Overall, I was very pleased to receive good wages and benefits. The majority of jobs I was assigned were very easy, but tedious at times. There were a lot of great co-workers and my boss was fantastic. My only problem was trying to ignore the negativity and bitterness of some of the workers there. There are those that will go out of their way to try and make you look bad, and show hostility for no apparent reason. While there are excellent supervisors on staff, there are a few that have absolutely no idea how to manage effectively. If you can get past that, this place is a great place to earn a decent living.
Pros
Easy work, good wages and benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Tedious jobs, uncomfortable working conditions (hot & dusty), poor attitude by some employees
productive
CERTIFIED RED SEAL JOURNEYMAN WELDER (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB22 May 2017
A steady nline of work with little complications offers benefits and nla.
Many friendly people and a decent work environment.
opportunities to advance in trades and good work fow
Pros
home every night
Cons
hot in the summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tolko Industries Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.