Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre

Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews
A typical day at work will not move forward positively as the culture of the pharmacy department dominated by certain dominant employees of the department. Their leadership not positively influence to do best by others in the department.I want to learn computer system right at the beginning because that is the beginning of everything. Hospital mission and values has been dictated by other factors of dominant people. Management clueless and stick to policies. People skills of human nature has been dictated by various elements. Workplace culture definitely enrich by ideal values and shadow values of people. They don't promote effective quality leaders for positions. So it is a mistake. There many factors in the department which depleted my emotional resilience due many factors. when conflicts arise I did my best to free from them and not convince I am right. But did work to come to optimal outcome. Thanks
The management at this lab have created a toxic work environment. Management bullies employs in conforming. Technologists are rewarded for conforming not performing. I would not recommend working at this hospital.
Healthcare is ever evolving and depending on what role you’re applying for, everything is variable.
Clinical staff will have different experiences and expectations from salaried and non union staff

A great place to enhance your skills and do good work promotions are rather limited as there’s just not a lot of turnover in the higher positions
The job requires quick thinking and accommodation to others. the workplace was enjoyable and the staff are nice. The job is fast pace and involves some physical capacity.
Always busy and always positions available. Great for new staff to apply as it is a teaching hospital. Good team work. Rewarding and difficult at times.
8 and 12 hr shifts, mod to high patient load
Work colleagues are good

great benefits

need more nursing staff

can be stressful if you lack time management
Pros
good work colleagues
Cons
short staffed
TBRHSC Dietary is great for students as it pays well and gives the options to work hours that are flexible to your school schedule. Shifts are short and go by fast as you're constantly on the move.
Pros
Great resume builder
Cons
Gross job
Very busy hospital. Understaffed and under appreciated nurses. The same can be said about their hardworking housekeeping staff too. Cut backs and constant highly acutely ill patient flow make this experience like driving in Los Angeles. You need to be an adrenaline junky to work in this continuously high stressed environment. Your shift flies by and you need your days off to recuperate. Loved the work and fast pace. Management is cold and unresponsive to nurses concerns to patient care. Educational opportunities are available but should be paid for and offered during work time.
Pros
Shifts go by quickly
Cons
Burnout
Thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Staff for the most part were enjoyable and friendly. Management were firm but fair for the most part. Would absolutely work there again if the opportunity should arise.
I left due to some bad experiences. I wouldn't say a great workplace to work, but what you will experience from others will not make you a happy person at the end of the day.
Pros
More hours
Cons
nasty co workers
was great working there, really enjoyed all the new people I've met and got to work with them. Environment is very friendly. Would work again if i got the chance.
This is an organization that says all the right things to hire you, but once you are an employee don't expect to be valued. Management usually has little knowledge of what they oversee and continually add responsibility and workload without increasing your pay. In many other places this might lead to advancement, but there is little opportunity and when something worthwhile does open up, the tendency is to hire external.

Fellow workers are a positive in this organization. Very friendly, supportive and willing to help despite the fact many are dissatisfied.

If you are starting out and don't have a decent job then this may be a good starting point for your career until you gain some experience to move onto better things. If you already have experience, this is a place where careers and pay are stagnant.
Pros
Fellow workers and a degree of job security
Cons
inadequate pay for what is expected of you.
Great support from management and fellow co-workers. Pay could be higher for the amount of work and stress. Hardest part of the job was losing patients to their illness. Best part was getting to help them in whatever way we could.
poor management as not qualified to do supervision for the regulating body governing Social Workers

limited communication amongst SW peers

NO educational opportunities for growth
Pros
good pay
Cons
overload for some units, while under used on other units, poor balance
Amazing people, very good at bringing you in to the group and making sure you feel confident in protocols and systems!

I did placement here and I loved the hospital, so good!
Pros
great team
Cons
early hours --I'm a night owl
a typical day at the hospital is very hectic but manageable, I've learned time management and organizational skills, the hardest part of the job would be the over crowding of patience and the outbreak of diseases that are constantly being spread around. the most enjoyable part of the job is the learning experience I gain while working.
Very heavy workloads.
Not enough space to work in.

Underrated department.

Poor equipment.

Busy environment and interesting work.

Training could be more consistent.
I went here for a College practicum and fell in love with the place. I would love to work there if I were living in Thunder bay and not in Montreal. Great team oriented staff.
I worked in Diagnostic Imaging and enjoyed typing for the various procedures such as Nuclear Medicine, Cardiac Cath, Respirology, MRI, CT and various x-rays. I learned new terminology throughout my years of working in this Department. The hardest part about this job was being replaced by voice recognition.
Pros
I enjoyed the hours for this job.
Cons
Being replaced by a machine.
Difficult to work in the environment at the time with over crowding (code gridlock), lack of staff and very little support. Hoping that they are able to improve the work life balance for the teams that keep the hospital running so well with so little.
The hospital atmosphere is tense, employees from all departments seem ready to snap off each other's heads at a moment's notice. My department is short staffed, and this is not uncommon in other departments as well. The failure to replace employees once they have left have put a heavy workload on remaining employees, who seem to take their frustration out on each other.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre. Our community is ready to answer.
Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre Reviews by Job Title