Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews

Great place for a first time job with opportunities for advancement
Deli Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 April 2019
thriftys is a great place to work for teenagers who are looking for a first job. there is plenty to learn and lots of opportunity for advancements. i enjoyed my years with thrifty foods
Pros
flexible hours
friendly good co workers , fun enviroment very productive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 February 2019
I enjoyed my 21 years working at Thrifty Foods I've seen a lot of changes over the years some for the good and some not so much.

Sobeys brought serveral changes to the company some good some not so much.
Most management was good .. but not all.
Pros
lots of free samples and fun games were played
Cons
too many performance reviews throught the year
Productive and fun workplace, especially working in the front end cashier.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saanichton, BC31 January 2019
Overall it's a great company. They are very flexible with the schedule especially for the students like me who just work part time. This company is worth recommended. They treat well all their employees.
Excellent place for students and young people
part time cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 January 2019
Typical day as a Thrifty Foods cashier: deal with the public and every type of person.
I learned good life skills as this was one of my first jobs.
The workplace and culture were great. Thrifties treated everyone with respect and honesty.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Long term, ex-employee review, not great.
General Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC24 January 2019
I would like to start by saying this is reviewing the warehouse only and not the store environment, it could be different and likely much better work environments in the retail locations.

I really enjoyed this job for the first few years until the hours changed to 4am and the job quality absolutely plummeted. here goes my experiences at this employer.

I worked at Thirfty's warehouse in Sidney for 5 years. the hours are complete garbage (4am start) with a boss that is not at all understanding of outside needs (family, personal, school, other jobs, ect). It is heavy labor and they have an unreasonable expectation of work (200 cases an hour (very difficult to maintain over time) with little to no room for advancement, mediocre pay for the industry, infrequent raises and a miserable work environment due to the hours. The benefits packages they tote are mediocre for the industry even though they think and claim its excellent. they prey on new employees entering the work force who don't know what a good job is or how they should be treated, the turnover is very high, probably abound 80% of new employees left within a few weeks. the staff are heavily overworked and overtime is EXPECTED up to 12 hour shifts since they cant hire staff due to the hours and low pay. if you dont work the entire shift, with the environment that has been made there, you will be talked down to by not only your boss but the other employees. the boss is often mentally abusive and makes you feel awful, they foster an environment of harping on or belittling your other co-workers for calling in sick or not
  more... working fast enough or leaving after 8 hours if there is overtime. Nothing is enough for them, you could work 4, 10 hour days and the 5th day if there is overtime and you leave after your 8, you will get crapped on by the other staff there. As a new employee you will be stuck in the freezer allot (-25celcius) with mediocre gear and long hours, with minimal training. working alone usually for the first 4-6 hours of the shift, maybe 1 helper. You will get no extra pay for working in frozen conditions. There are little to no staff events even if you pay into the social fund, in the 5 years i think the fund maybe got used only a few times and i completely wasted that money i gave into it ( wasn't necessarily a huge amount but still).

Overall you do not want to work for this location or boss unless the hours change and the environment improves (unlikely since the high ups are very stubborn and do not at all care about there staffs working conditions, hours or impact on family life).

Thanks for reading and i hope this helps you to make an informed decision as to weather you want to be a part of this company/location.
Pros
little to none
Cons
hours, enviroment, managment
Underpaid
Driver (Current Employee) –  North Saanich Distribution Centre23 January 2019
I have driven for Thrifty for several years. They used to be one of the best companies to work for, but since Sobey's bought us things have slowly slid downhill. The benefits used to be excellent, now they are substandard. Worst of all, there hasn't been a raise in TEN years. Meanwhile the cost of living in Victoria has gone way up in that time. The drivers are now among the lowest paid in the region. Also beware - you are not guaranteed 40 hours a week, sometimes you work less.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Low wages
good for a first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 January 2019
for a first job they were understanding and accommodating. patient while training and eager to show me the ropes. the pay was as good and the hours were not to my satisfactory.
Pros
good work enviroment
Cons
no employee discount, short breaks, minimum wage
Moral of an employee at Thrifty Foods.
Baker (Current Employee) –  James Bay, BC30 December 2018
My experiences at Thrifty Foods are great! This company takes great care of all their employees, sighting good work efforts and encouraging chances for promotions where they might aid an employee in a higher responsibility bracket of this company.
A good starter job with benefits if you work enough hours.
Floral clerk and cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BC16 December 2018
Unfortunately, overworked and underpaid is the first thing that comes to mind. Overall good place to work but nearly impossible to make ends meet at a clerical level.
Quality food and clean stores
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 December 2018
Small departments , with not much room to advance quickly.
It was a safe working environment with clearly marked job descriptions.
Easy to talk to and interact with customers
Pros
Job sharing
Cons
Part time positions
A great job for when in school
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 December 2018
Thrifty foods was a fantastic job to have while I was in school. The management was very good at understanding school schedules and did their best to work it out.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
evening or night shifts
Smiles in the Aisles
GROCERY CLERK & CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Salt Spring Island, BC7 November 2018
It has been over a decade since I worked here. I remember it as being a fun work environment. The location was busy for a town of its size and there was a high influx of summer tourist.
Find a good manager
Seafood Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 October 2018
The system is a bit of a joke, find a good manager and work hard though and you'll be good. They take advantage of there employees, don't be a pushover, they expect and want you to argue with them.
Fast paced and organized work environment
Bakery Clerk Victoria, BC (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 October 2018
Typically, a day at work would begin at 3:00pm, and I would start by packaging freshly baked goods. I would then stock the shelves with product, and make sure that shelves were orderly. I would ensure that bakery area was clean. I served customers as well. I learned how to interact with customers. Management was very knowledgeable, but did not communicate to me as much as I would have liked.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers.
Overall, I had a positive work experience, with the hardest part of the job being working until 12:00am.
Pros
Samples of baked goods
Cons
Sometimes, but not often, customers were difficult
Better then others but not great
Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria Harbour, BC13 October 2018
Frustrating place to work for a long period of time. Management can very from place to place mostly on the negative side. Starting pay is typically under basic amount needed to live in British Columbia with raises being tiny at 50 cents with a dollar raise if you "Over Preform in your duties" but are given out rarely to anybody who has either worked for a few years in same location (which is bad for advancement) or is a supervisor. Very little room for advancement as positions rarely open up as supervisors or above do not leave or move positions. Just getting a position as a full time worker can be difficult as they will put you in as a part-time worker with full hours to cut you out of full benefit coverage. Being stuck as a part-time worker means they can cut out as many hours as they like week to week from you to fit company restrictions. Training is terrible, you'll get at most 3 days of coaching (if your lucky) before they tell you to figure out the rest by yourself. If your looking to work at thriftiest for the long run just be prepared to be a "cost efficient employee" for several years, or move from store to store to efficiently advance in the company.
Pros
Flexible hours, work at your own pace
Cons
Terrible advancements and pay options.
I loved my coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 October 2018
Cashier work is soul crushing and runs you down to a point where it's only 2 hrs into yr shift and you feel like you've been there for 4 years. it's either dead or insanely busy and customers are always complaining and blaming you for things that are out of your control. if you don't like high stress environments do not be a cashier at a grocery store. you will want to die
Pros
coworkers are so nice usually
A very helpful, accommodating and fun place to work with.
Deli Clerk Staff (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 September 2018
I already fall in love working at the Deli Department of Thrifty Cloverdale. The management are so nice and accommodating and are very flexible with my schooling schedule.
Pros
Flexible with their staff's priorities in life.
great company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC25 September 2018
PROS of working at thrifty foods is Great people to work for.
It is a enjoyable job.
Easy to learn and do.
Great people and environment to work with and in.
They are passionate about their company and customers.
you have the opportunity for advancement
its an happy atmosphere
Cons are that there is no set schedules, amount of hours and shifts are based on the business and it takes almost a month before you even start to work
First Job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 September 2018
This was my first job at the Deli in Thrifty Foods. The staff, customers and management where all awesome. It was a pretty ideal work environment. The only thing I can say is that my manager had poor interpersonal skills and for the first month I thought I could be fired at any second even though I was doing an exemplary job.
Pros
It was a fun work environment
Cons
Not much
alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salt Spring Island, BC14 September 2018
the supervisors had a poor attitude always, when asking questions about work they were reluctant to help out. no one wants to help you, they prefer you do it yourself and leave them alone.