Thrifty Foods

Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews

Canada257 reviews
Good people, but quite boring
I worked at the till and it's very mutinous work but the people are nice and it's pretty chill, if there's nothing going on you can hang out and chat.
Toxic work place, no matter who’s in charge.
5 years I worked at Thrifty foods. First boss I had was an absolute terror & the second boss was even worse. She made everyone’s life awful by making everyone work shifts they hated for no reason. Never scheduled enough staff for the deli to run smooth, at least once a week she would miss a VERY important shift slot. She was rude & scary but i dont blame her. Thrifty’s is an extremely toxic environment and the whole manager team is basically a clique that’s filled with fake people who are constantly passive aggressive with each other. Pay also SUCKED and they were not fair in promotions. Never work here, simply for your sanity.
Toxic Work Environment
Full time availability expected for part time work with an inconsistent schedule. Management lacks communication skills and the ability to use positive motivation. Management actively tries to prevent employees from advancing in pay to keep their department costs low. Management uses the schedule to show both favouritism and punishment of employees for personal reasons. Management also spoke ill of employees infront of other employees.
The best place to work
I love to be working in that store . The manager is the best . It was my first working experience in Canada and I would say those days are the best . And the work culture and the way they help you out in all the needs
Great
Good for students who are looking for part time hours while studying. Great at treating their staff and excellent for training juniors. Highly recommended.
Thrifty foods
I quite enjoy working at thrifty foods and I feel that anyone that works there would say the same. I am still employed there and I hope to stay for as long as they’d have me for.
Worst Job I've ever had.
I can quite easily say that working at Thrifty Foods was by far one of the worst job experiences I've ever had. The pay is poor, management couldn't care less about their employees, customers were often abusive to staff members and sometimes even rewarded for doing so.
Cons
Stressful, terrible mangement, abusive environment
Thriftys isn’t the same
Our store manager walks around yelling at departments and definitely does not make you feel like you are welcome or even appreciated. The atmosphere of your work is important so that employees feel like they want to strive. If you treat them awfully, they will not perform well.
Productive work place
The only hard part about the job is that there is little full time positions available. If you are okay with working part time it is a great place to work.
Should just change the name to sobeys
For an entry level school job it is fairly good however if you are wanting to move up your work/life hours aren't always great. You don't get regular hours so it's hard to plan things in your personal life.

The expectations are great customer service which is getting harder and harder as the company continues to cut hours.
Positive and supportive
Management is good and approachable. Fast paced. Coworkers have fun and still get the job done. I manage my own department so they let me do my thing however do check in once in a while. They don't micro manage. If I need something I just ask. Benefits are so so. You can upgrade but have to pay into it. Wages are retail so no where near the cost of living. They recognize you for good work.
Pros
Recognition, wage increase every 1000 hrs. Treats now and then. Xmas party.
Cons
My job is very physically demanding. Not paid enough for it. 8 1/2 hour shifts.
productive
I learned how to communicate
Handle multiple projects

manage different activities

Be aware about every things

How to make different sandwiches like panini, sub and kaiser
Good place for a first job
Great place for a first job. Flexible scheduling and understanding staff. Good job to learn about work ethic and team work, as well as responsibility. Long term career options as well.
Fantastic first job
I loved working here, I had so much fun with my co workers and learned so much in my time here. In the year and a half that I worked here the only complaint I had were I had few hours. Loved my manager and my other supervisors. Genuinely a great place to start working.
Pros
Fantastic Co workers, Educational, Great management
Cons
Low pay, Part-time
Baking and management of production.
At one time was one of the best on Vancouver Island but in the last seven to 8 years they have valued there employees less and less. Management is not held to account in the senior management positions. The culture is not one of working together as it once was. the hardest part of the job was seeing high standards in quality change. The most enjoable part of the job was working with certain employees.
Great company to work with... I would go back to work for them again!
It was a happy place to work.
The co-workers worked well with each other and Management was great.

The hours were flexible and there was no lag time.

There was lots of instructions and help for questions and customer service was great!
Great co-workers and managers
The pace may vary but overall Thrifty Foods is a wonderful employer. Co-workers are helpful and friendly, management is present and accessible; willing to help you. All in all a great place to work.
unappreciative management, unmotivated supervisors.
Thrifty foods is an okay place to work. managers are disrespectful and impatient with staff. No benefits, and very little opportunity to progress vertically or to receive a raise.
very bad managment.
They have the worst managment i have ever worked for. Managment is incredibly corporate and in-human. Empolyees are always quiting because of it. New employees were yelled at and punished on night shift for being too slow. They had just started working there! no matter how hard i worked, pushing myself as hard as i possibly could. Always told i am not going fast enough. Managment continues to make night shift hours worse and worse. They dont care about us
Joke of a company hope corporate wakes up soon.
A bunch of terrible managers that just parrot each others opinions with no individual thought, sure they may have the position but no leaders in sight including the joke of a store manager. There is almost no room for advancement and there are no employee benefits other than what is legally required to be given. If you enjoy working at a place with no positive reinforcement and a bunch of hypocritical managers than this is the job for you.
Overall great place to work.
Working at Thrifty Foods, everyday was a bright day. And almost everyone was working happily. Customers were great, mostly regulars, which was especially nice!
The management, was very confident in my abilities, and taught me what to do, within the first day, so I was not left stranded.

Co-workers, are somewhat competitive with til speed. And some more than others, I was personally very competitive with it, and loved working for a higher score.

The overall hardest part of the job, was working through a very very high speed work day, while juggling cleaning, and other issues that you would sometimes face; like having to clean up the floors from spills, run to look for items for a customer, and or helping people out to their car, in the midst of the rush.

Personally it was a joy to work there, and I would 100% work there again. The people were great, the customers were great, and the overall workplace is manageable if you have the work ethic of a champion. (or not).

I would recommend anyone to be a cashier at Thrifty Foods, with how great my experience was.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thrifty Foods. Our community is ready to answer.