Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Parksville, BC26 June 2018
I work with a group of people who vary in age, enthusiasm, and personality. Each day is different, and I always enjoy being around my coworkers, no matter which group it is on a given day.
Pros
Great crew, Schedule in advance
Cons
Varied shifts
Very flexible and easy to fit around school
Bakery Service Clerk and First Aid Attendant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 June 2018
Very flexible hours, easy to reschedule shifts and take vacation time. Management can be dismissive and unhelpful. Low skill low stress job. No sense of satisfaction or improvement can be gained from this job.
Pros
Simple, no stress
Cons
Management, little chance of advancement
Paid well for a job that fit for the time.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 June 2018
Graveyard pays pretty well for an entry level position, I did feel a touch under-managed as there was no supervisor on duty for graveyard despite the fact that graveyard requires the direction.
Cashier
Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 June 2018
It was a nice place to work. Training was great. The supervisors were there when needed. The rules were quite strict. The feeling was the bottom line was the most important.
Pros
Training
Cons
Length of shifts
grocery clerk
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC18 May 2018
customer service, stocked merchandise into shelves and ensured they are faced and rotated properly, general cleaning, collected shopping carts and basket
Productive and very busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 May 2018
It's a great place to work as long as you have good co-workers.
Usually very friendly staff.
People like to help you out.
Get to know a lot of regular customers.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Great work environment especially for student
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 May 2018
Great work environment especially for student, very accommodating for a students schedule. Great people to work with. Good managers. The hardest part of the job was getting a little board with repetitive work. Best part of the job was the people you worked with
Pros
flexibility
Cons
wage
I loved this job
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC20 April 2018
Working in the Floral Department was one of the very few jobs that I've had that i truly loved. It was just too bad that the management of the department was really inconsistent.
Pros
The product I worked with
Cons
Having to leave that job
Good
Grocery Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 April 2018
Typical day at work is pretty good, if you mind customer service. People are nice and helpful. Training is easy and useful. Hours are good if you want them.
Good Job for entry-level part time
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 April 2018
Pleasant co-workers and friendly management. Rigid raise structure and not easy to advance positions or get full-time hours. Occasionally free food in the break room.
Hustle with some breaks
Produce clerk part time (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC10 April 2018
You're expected to move quickly nearly at all times. Thinking on your feet is conisdered important as is attention to detail. Thrifty's considers its brad to be a cut above the other main grocery brands and your work should reflect that philosophy.
Pay is a bit above industry standard but it really isn't much for the workload.
Staff are friendly as long as you return the smiles and try to be social.
Breaks are okay; lunchroom is okay.
No staff discounts on any grocery purchases.
Pros
Good work ethic
Cons
A little too much hustle for the wage, high school girls are hired and they don't do the same tasks as the guys.
Fun place to work
Produce Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC9 April 2018
During my time here the produce department created a fantastic work environment and was quick to train the right people. Food safe and other courses were paid for and provided by Thrifys.
Fun work place okay management but very unorganized.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mill Bay, BC15 March 2018
Days felt short when working with other but when working alone which is common all tasks seemed receptive and boring. Management was good but never stayed the same for very long. Overall a good first job or part-time job but won't stay for more than 2-3 years.
Can become a career if you choose
Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 March 2018
The leadership team at Thrifty Foods genuinely cares about their employees in all stores and works tirelessly to create an engaging and exciting workplace.
I was able to work part time while in high school and then through college due to the flexible scheduling and support of management. I maintained part time benefits and held a competitve hourly wage -
so long as I showed up and worked hard consistently.
After graduating college, I was able to grow into upper management at a young age due to Sobeys' investment in my continuous development.
While retail work and dealing with the public can be exhausting, I feel very fortunate for the experience and opportunities I have recevied with this company.
Pros
flexible for students, can pick up hours easily, good benefits
awesome place for young people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC12 March 2018
Great job for a middle school or high school student. Reliable and consistent hours. Perfect job for buildng confidence in the customer service field.
Average part-time employer
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC8 March 2018
Since the company is so big it is hard for management to attend to the needs of every employee. This made some shifts harder than others. However, as a first job I would say this set me on the right path.
all around what you wold expect for a grocery store cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 March 2018
It was ok. It's a good/easy job to have if you're in school. I wouldn't recommend this job as a full time gig because the pay is too low. They are super accommodating when it comes to scheduling, and the store I worked at was full of super friendly and for the most part happy staff.
great pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 March 2018
this was my first job in grade 11. It was a greta place to work - management was great! so nice and friendly, always listened to peoples schedules -never got scheduled when i said i was not available. also, they never scheduled me for more hours than I told them I wanted to work/week.
na
ACCOUNTS MANAGER / SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC7 February 2018
wasn't a very good workplace environment and the staff was very negative and management wasn't approachable at all, and not very friendly and didn't like coming to work
Unhappy work environment
Pastry Decorator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 February 2018
Quite honestly, I did not meet anyone within the company that was happy at work. The management was never kind to workers, which had a lot of then quitting after not working there very long. None of the employees enjoy their time at work, and spend their shifts wanting to go home.