Thorpe Recovery Centre

Thorpe Recovery Centre Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
Productive and stimulating work environment. Tremendous networking options with peer professionals. Driven by a community model that focuses staff to hold each other accountable. The kitchen team produce the best meals on the planet!
There was a dispute I had and told my coworker in confidence as to what I was experiencing at the time. Had called management as per their request on my shift and was asked to go home to collect myself and I’d be called in the morning. The morning of the call I was informed I no longer have a job and that I’m not a “right fit” for the position when I have experience working in the field of addictions as an addictions support worker. I feel very unfairly treated and not given a chance to explain myself or even take advantage of the counselling for coworkers that is “offered” for staff in those times of need. Did I mention that this happened during the Covid-19 epidemic? Great program for the clients. Awesome food, but very judgemental management(especially for staff in recovery aka me) I DO NOT recommend working here
Pros
Awesome food
Cons
Poor and judgmental management, too educated and entitled
I agree with the one review, it does sadden me to see the terrible reviews. Quite often when negative people leave a place of employment by choice or not they are quick to slam the organization. Bad news always travels much faster than good news. Over my past years at Thorpe I have had many rewarding moments along with some harder days. Non profit rehabilitation centres are challenging places to work
A lot of politics. You are either in or out and if you cross management they become spiteful. It is an autocratic organization and the staff are seen as disposable
The people practicing therapy are not qualified to be counselling professionals. When I worked there only one individual had a minimum of a Masters degree, and many only had their high school education if that. As a therapist of many years now, reflecting on my time at Thorpe makes me feel shocked and appalled at the lack of standards these helping professionals have. The screening process is non-existent, and they don't seem to care that families can throw away thousands of dollars to the program - even when it is obvious that the client is not willing to engage with services. It's about the cash flow. You're left with basic psychoeducation, unqualified staff, and unmotivated clients. This is simply unethical. I write this to caution young professionals beginning their careers to consider other employment options. You may pick up bad habits or be put in uncomfortable positions at Thorpe.

Other considerations for my low review include poor management (and high turnover due to same), incompetent business professionals (also unqualified on this side of things), poor understanding of work/life balance and how crucial this is to helping professionals performing optimally, and many instances of other unethical behaviors that any professional with legitimate credentials would feel uneasy with. During my time at Thorpe, they had entire wings closed off due to poor enrollment rates. It honestly surprises me they continue to remain operational to this day.
Promise of work but no delivery. Management fails to practice what they preach. Dismissals without cause as employees are disposable. Hard work and compassion overlooked in place of mindless minions. Employees are second to clients... your word is mud to theirs.
Pros
Counselors support and great good
Cons
Management and training
I have worked at Thorpe Recovery Centre for almost 7 years. It breaks my heart to see some of the negative reviews left because I hold this place close to my heart. This building is full of love, compassion, and caring people, staff and clients!
Our staff is passionate about what they do and it shows. Everyone is willing to go above and beyond for one another and the best interest of clients is always at the forefront of every decision.

It isn't always an easy place to work, addiction is powerful and it is difficult to witness other people's pain. It can be exhausting but the rewards far outweigh that. We have an opportunity every day to empower others to live a life of recovery.

I am heard, supported, and encouraged. I can be fully myself and be honest about my strengths and weaknesses without judgement. I have never experienced negativity with management in all my time there.

I am blessed to be a part of the Thorpe family and for that I am grateful.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
N/a
“Too many chiefs, not enough Indians”. Overstaffed leadership team. Communication is poor right from the top down. Promises of plenty of work before hire, but after hiring... not so much. Gag order in place re salaries. Not allowed to discuss. Employees must sign agreement to this effect. .
Dismissals without cause as employees are disposable. Clients and program are awesome. Management not so much.
Pros
Clients, Kitchen Staff and great meals.
Cons
Management lack of communication, questionable leadership.
I worked as a frontline staff (addictions support worker) and I loved my time at Thorpe. I recently moved my family to a new location otherwise I would still be there.

The work was varied, engaging, challenging, and rewarding. I appreciated the opportunity I was given to work with the clients and team there. Administration and Management were always supportive and understanding of my needs as an employee and as an individual. My teammates were supportive and I always loved coming in to work. Thorpe is a great place to work.
Pros
Great food and people to work with
Cons
Tough topics, emotional work
Heads up: this isn't a field of work for everyone. Days can be long, stressful, and full of frustration-- but is it worth it? Yes.

My experience has been the opposite to the other reviews here. I am supported, engaged, and proud to work at this facility. Being a part of a team that helps others build a foundation in recovery is amazing. No two days are alike and there is such a motivation to keep improving both personally and professionally.

In my 5 years here, I have grown in more ways than I can really say. This is a wonderfully supportive group of individuals from the Community Support Team, to the Kitchen, to Admin, and the Clinical Team. Everyone plays a part in the process to help our community.

There are days where patience is tested, days feel glum, or there's bad news around every corner. But, as a team share in the experience and are able to discuss openly our concerns, fears, or provide constructive feedback to overcome any challenges ahead.

As a non-profit, this organization does its best to maintain the balance between good programming and being efficient with funds. Cost of operations continuously increase while funding remains the same and the leadership team has done a great job to ensure our clients get the same high level of care regardless of the economic challenges.

So, if you're afraid of a challenge, this isn't for you. But, if you're up to helping others in a team environment that is constantly evolving to improve the quality of care we provide: apply now!
Pros
Team atmosphere, helping others, lots of laughs
Cons
Limited resources, difficult topics
Need to review their communication skills between management and staff. Often hire the wrong people in key positions. Require more realistic job descriptions.
Pros
The clients attending recovery program are "Golden".
Cons
No Communication
It is with deep sorrow that I feel it necessary to write this review. I belive the management is not in touch with the staff and while they pay lipservice, there is no follow thru. Thope has been a revollving door of some very qualified people. Over the last 6 years they have chosen management has chosen to erode the workplace culture to a state of fear. There is little, if any communication between management and the staff.
Pros
Kitchen is awesome
Cons
No confidence in management
The management fires people with little to no logical reasoning.
Staff are seen as disposable and not worthwhile.

A culture of shame and control has been strongly cultivated with both staff and clients.