Thompson Rivers University Employee Reviews

I was a full time student
Student (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC20 September 2019
University standards were followed. I found the classroom structure more suitable due to my specialized area of study compared to Simon Fraser University
Excellent TRUSU organization
Vice President of TRUFA (Former Employee) –  TRUSU17 June 2019
I enjoyed being a part of this club while at TRU. I gained valuable networking experience and met with a different individual who explained their career path within the finance industry.
fun environment
Starbucks supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 June 2019
management always ensured that when employees where at work they were always free to voice out their concerns and did not have to fear the management and they made themselves very approachable.

Some days were overwhelming because of how busy it got but there was always support given to the employees when such happened.

We always looked forward to game nights as this gave all employees a platform to get to know their other teammates outside of work.
Pros
paid $3 for a meal card but were able to buy food worth $12, with each shift you got a shift drink.
Cons
set time to use your meal card.
Fun workplace
Volunteer for fall orientation (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 May 2019
I like to talk with different people from different calture, that is part of the reason I want to get a job which can talk and help others. I desire to learn.
friendly work place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 May 2019
Awesome people working there. It has good holiday and flexible schedule to me. All co-workers are very nice and friendly with strong team work and communication.
Amazing Work Atmosphere
Auxiliary Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 April 2019
The employees and staff at Thompson Rivers University are all world-class individuals. This is a place that values its employees and most importantly, its students. The work environment is fun and there is never a dull moment.
Great university, but all departments operate differently
Marketing & Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 April 2019
I was a unionized worker in a great department. I had flexible hours and overtime, 3 weeks of vacation, and a lot of room for professional development.
Juggling Many Different Balls At Once..
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 December 2018
This is a tough review to make since I really enjoyed my position quite a bit; however, there were a handful of aspects of this job that I wish was told before accepting the position. As mentioned in some previous reviews, your experience at TRU depends on the department that you work under. I found that the hardest part of this position was dealing with management and the lack of communication and decisiveness they had. It wasn't uncommon to go weeks on end without having an idea of where management stood on a project and/or on decisions that had to be made.

I really enjoyed the job itself, for the fact that there was something different to work on each and every day. Unfortunately, there were many times that I was handed work & projects last minute, which made deadlines a lot tighter then they had to be. Things tended to move at a slower pace, and I often found myself waiting for other people to get work done before I could proceed. This position also required a bit of travel and extended hours, which I didn't mind at all. Be mindful that not all jobs at TRU are your typical 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 job, and that includes this position.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Optional Overtime, Ability to work remotely/from home
Cons
Management, Inconsistent workloads, Bureaucratic environment, Occasional late evenings
Fun and interesting work place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2018
I loved working for TRU even though it was for a short time. Alot of different things happening there like events and the people were nice. I like the culture and diversity as a team and individually. Management and supervisors are great!
well organized
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 November 2018
Employees claim hours every two weeks and managers will confirm for the hours that are claimed. Employees will definitely get paid if they work over time.
A cool place to do research
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 September 2018
I've worked at TRU with a few different titles: undergraduate research assistant, graduate research assistant, teaching assistant, and laboratory manager. Each position I felt confident and capable in, and I felt welcome at my place of work. It was a nice transition from being a student to an employee, and using what I learned from being a student in my everyday life. The people are all excellent to work with, and my supervisors were always reachable and I felt cared for in the workplace. Where I was, it was a relaxed position with a lot of understanding from my peers and supervisors, so that was really nice. Perhaps the hardest part about the jobs I had would be delivering bad news, since it's such a positive work environment and I didn't want to let anyone down. In the end though, we all find solutions to our problems together and come to agreements and understandings. The most enjoyable part of my jobs was the amount of day to day variation. Some days we would be travelling to the nearby grasslands, other days we have to go on a seven hour drive to reach our destination, and other days we have to stay back and perform lab work. This created an excellent work environment for everyone involved.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, day to day variation
Union vs. Non-Union & Contracted Employees
Content Creator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC26 June 2018
Before I get into this review, I want to state that there is a difference working at TRU for union employees, compared to those who are non-union employees and contracted out positions. My position was an 18 month (auxiliary) contract, that was put together when TRU hired me onboard. I enjoyed my position quite a bit, and I did have some nice benefits given to me. I really enjoyed the kind of work I was able to do on projects that I was a part of. Unfortunately, there were some aspects of being a contracted employee that I had to put up with.

If you work at TRU as a non-union employee, or pick up a contract through TRU, be prepared for a much different experience to those who are union employees. Management was headache to deal with at times, since I wasn't a union employee, and I had to go about things differently. It was also not uncommon for non-union and contracted employees to be asked to work overtime & weekends. Additional and last minute work loads started to become an ongoing problem, which became too much to deal with by the end of my contract.
Pros
Good working environment, Could work remotely, Enjoyed the projects
Cons
Management, Bureaucratic, Last minute projects & additional hours added to schedule (evenings & weekends)
Na
Auxiliary Support Staff Assignments/Training (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC11 June 2018
I learned fast. I followed through. I took on extra duties if I could to be a team member. Assignments were hit and miss. Staff were very possessive of their jobs.
Great environment to learn and have fun
Social Media Intern (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 June 2018
TRU has a great work environment and job culture. People are friendly and polite, it is easy to work there and also have fun while you are learning surrounded by amazing co-workers.
good chance for graduate and undergraduate students
GRADUATE Teacher ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 June 2018
recruiting current student is a great support, also they pay very well. Additionally, they give you a chance to grow academically. It was a very positive experience, despite the inconsiderate supervisor.
Great until management changed
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 June 2018
I loved my Job but New management was terrible, not relatable, destroyed both workplace and residence culture, essentials rundown the building and its standards in under 2years.

The main company Campus Living Centres was amazing to work for. It was merely a location based management issue.
Pros
Forming great relationships
Cons
Working late night and Weekends
Your experience at TRU depends on your boss & department
Strategist (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 May 2018
I was really fortunate to have a great position at TRU, under a very good department (OL), with a great boss. This is not the same for everyone that works at TRU. Your experience will depend on your job, department, and any management you work under. Unfortunately, there are some aspects of working at TRU that you should know before applying or accepting a job.

- TRU suffers from the 10/90 principle. Basically, 10% of the people do 90% of the work.
- TRU is a bureaucracy. You can work hard and do a good job, but your long year term co-worker, who is currently sleeping at his desk, will get the next promotion because he was there longer than you. Always remember that "longevity" wins in these kinds of environments.
- No culture. Despite what some people will tell you, TRU has no real culture among the staff and its departments. This can make collaboration or asking questions a nightmare, since most of the people are only there to "clock in and clock out".
- Requests take a long time to fill. If you need something ordered, then you should have done it "yesterday". Any requests to orders that you need can take weeks to months to get ordered. Even though you could go to a store and pick up what you need in a matter of an hour, you will have to order it through the university.
- TRU will become your life. If you are a good worker and get a lot of stuff done, there is a good chance you can be asked to work overtime and come in on weekends. This really depends on your department and boss, but it is not uncommon for staff to work evenings and weekends.
- Regular staff & department
  more... meetings. Something that became quite the norm was the amount of meetings that we had to attend. Yes, you get paid to go to these meetings, but they can take a lot of time away from your work. Be prepared for yearly conventions & seminars, which you are required to attend.

All in all, I really did enjoy my time at TRU. I loved my boss, and enjoyed the work that I did. But, you need to keep in mind what kind of environment that you are working in. If you feel that you cannot put up with any of the points I mentioned above, than I recommend you not to apply or work at TRU. If you are able to put up with the points I mentioned, and you are fortunate to have a good boss, than you should enjoy your time working at TRU.
Pros
Independent working environment, optional overtime, can work remotely, no micromanagement, easy-going environment
Cons
No culture, bureaucratic, your life will become TRU, no collaboration
Great place to try new things in University
Event Manager (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 April 2018
Very easy job.
Great for part timers or university student.s
Great people

A lot of room for improvement but the business model is changing so you will have to adapt
Good
Cons
Not bad
Great work Environment
Accounting Auxiliary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 March 2018
Great Flexibility
Good work-life balance. I worked a few hours a week, but my schedule was great. The support staff and management are create. Plus there is a lot of opportunity to work in a matrix team and move around on secondment.
Lots to learn
Computer Science Support Lab Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 February 2018
Lots to learn and pply in classes as assignments and projects

Also, got a chance to help students and explain to them various concepts and approaches to handling problems in computer science

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thompson Rivers University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3