Thompson Rivers University Employee Review

View all Thompson Rivers University reviews

Union vs. Non-Union & Contracted Employees
Content Creator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC26 June 2018
Before I get into this review, I want to state that there is a difference working at TRU for union employees, compared to those who are non-union employees and contracted out positions. My position was an 18 month (auxiliary) contract, that was put together when TRU hired me onboard. I enjoyed my position quite a bit, and I did have some nice benefits given to me. I really enjoyed the kind of work I was able to do on projects that I was a part of. Unfortunately, there were some aspects of being a contracted employee that I had to put up with.

If you work at TRU as a non-union employee, or pick up a contract through TRU, be prepared for a much different experience to those who are union employees. Management was headache to deal with at times, since I wasn't a union employee, and I had to go about things differently. It was also not uncommon for non-union and contracted employees to be asked to work overtime & weekends. Additional and last minute work loads started to become an ongoing problem, which became too much to deal with by the end of my contract.
Pros
Good working environment, Could work remotely, Enjoyed the projects
Cons
Management, Bureaucratic, Last minute projects & additional hours added to schedule (evenings & weekends)

Other Thompson Rivers University Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Volunteer for fall orientation (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 May 2019
I like to talk with different people from different calture, that is part of the reason I want to get a job which can talk and help others. I desire to learn.
friendly work place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 May 2019
Awesome people working there. It has good holiday and flexible schedule to me. All co-workers are very nice and friendly with strong team work and communication.