Thompson Rivers University Employee Review

View all Thompson Rivers University reviews

Funplace and helping enviroment
International Orientation Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 May 2013
Great to help the new international students starting the university.

Other Thompson Rivers University Employee Reviews

Your experience at TRU depends on your boss & department
Strategist (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 May 2018
I was really fortunate to have a great position at TRU, under a very good department (OL), with a great boss. This is not the same for everyone that works at TRU. Your experience will depend on your job, department, and any management you work under. Unfortunately, there are some aspects of working at TRU that you should know before applying or accepting a job.

- TRU suffers from the 10/90 principle. Basically, 10% of the people do 90% of the work.
- TRU is a bureaucracy. You can work hard and do a good job, but your long year term co-worker, who is currently sleeping at his desk, will get the next promotion because he was there longer than you. Always remember that "longevity" wins in these kinds of environments.
- No culture. Despite what some people will tell you, TRU has no real culture among the staff and its departments. This can make collaboration or asking questions a nightmare, since most of the people are only there to "clock in and clock out".
- Requests take a long time to fill. If you need something ordered, then you should have done it "yesterday". Any requests to orders that you need can take weeks to months to get ordered. Even though you could go to a store and pick up what you need in a matter of an hour, you will have to order it through the university.
- TRU will become your life. If you are a good worker and get a lot of stuff done, there is a good chance you can be asked to work overtime and come in on weekends. This really depends on your department and boss, but it is not uncommon for staff to work evenings and weekends.
- Regular staff & department
  more... meetings. Something that became quite the norm was the amount of meetings that we had to attend. Yes, you get paid to go to these meetings, but they can take a lot of time away from your work. Be prepared for yearly conventions & seminars, which you are required to attend.

All in all, I really did enjoy my time at TRU. I loved my boss, and enjoyed the work that I did. But, you need to keep in mind what kind of environment that you are working in. If you feel that you cannot put up with any of the points I mentioned above, than I recommend you not to apply or work at TRU. If you are able to put up with the points I mentioned, and you are fortunate to have a good boss, than you should enjoy your time working at TRU.
Pros
Independent working environment, optional overtime, can work remotely, no micromanagement, easy-going environment
Cons
No culture, bureaucratic, your life will become TRU, no collaboration
Great work Environment
Accounting Auxiliary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 March 2018
Great Flexibility
Good work-life balance. I worked a few hours a week, but my schedule was great. The support staff and management are create. Plus there is a lot of opportunity to work in a matrix team and move around on secondment.