Thompson Rivers University Management reviews

Juggling Many Different Balls At Once..
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 December 2018
This is a tough review to make since I really enjoyed my position quite a bit; however, there were a handful of aspects of this job that I wish was told before accepting the position. As mentioned in some previous reviews, your experience at TRU depends on the department that you work under. I found that the hardest part of this position was dealing with management and the lack of communication and decisiveness they had. It wasn't uncommon to go weeks on end without having an idea of where management stood on a project and/or on decisions that had to be made.

I really enjoyed the job itself, for the fact that there was something different to work on each and every day. Unfortunately, there were many times that I was handed work & projects last minute, which made deadlines a lot tighter then they had to be. Things tended to move at a slower pace, and I often found myself waiting for other people to get work done before I could proceed. This position also required a bit of travel and extended hours, which I didn't mind at all. Be mindful that not all jobs at TRU are your typical 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 job, and that includes this position.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Optional Overtime, Ability to work remotely/from home
Cons
Management, Inconsistent workloads, Bureaucratic environment, Occasional late evenings
well organized
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 November 2018
Employees claim hours every two weeks and managers will confirm for the hours that are claimed. Employees will definitely get paid if they work over time.
Union vs. Non-Union & Contracted Employees
Content Creator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC26 June 2018
Before I get into this review, I want to state that there is a difference working at TRU for union employees, compared to those who are non-union employees and contracted out positions. My position was an 18 month (auxiliary) contract, that was put together when TRU hired me onboard. I enjoyed my position quite a bit, and I did have some nice benefits given to me. I really enjoyed the kind of work I was able to do on projects that I was a part of. Unfortunately, there were some aspects of being a contracted employee that I had to put up with.

If you work at TRU as a non-union employee, or pick up a contract through TRU, be prepared for a much different experience to those who are union employees. Management was headache to deal with at times, since I wasn't a union employee, and I had to go about things differently. It was also not uncommon for non-union and contracted employees to be asked to work overtime & weekends. Additional and last minute work loads started to become an ongoing problem, which became too much to deal with by the end of my contract.
Pros
Good working environment, Could work remotely, Enjoyed the projects
Cons
Management, Bureaucratic, Last minute projects & additional hours added to schedule (evenings & weekends)
Your experience at TRU depends on your boss & department
Strategist (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 May 2018
I was really fortunate to have a great position at TRU, under a very good department (OL), with a great boss. This is not the same for everyone that works at TRU. Your experience will depend on your job, department, and any management you work under. Unfortunately, there are some aspects of working at TRU that you should know before applying or accepting a job.

- TRU suffers from the 10/90 principle. Basically, 10% of the people do 90% of the work.
- TRU is a bureaucracy. You can work hard and do a good job, but your long year term co-worker, who is currently sleeping at his desk, will get the next promotion because he was there longer than you. Always remember that "longevity" wins in these kinds of environments.
- No culture. Despite what some people will tell you, TRU has no real culture among the staff and its departments. This can make collaboration or asking questions a nightmare, since most of the people are only there to "clock in and clock out".
- Requests take a long time to fill. If you need something ordered, then you should have done it "yesterday". Any requests to orders that you need can take weeks to months to get ordered. Even though you could go to a store and pick up what you need in a matter of an hour, you will have to order it through the university.
- TRU will become your life. If you are a good worker and get a lot of stuff done, there is a good chance you can be asked to work overtime and come in on weekends. This really depends on your department and boss, but it is not uncommon for staff to work evenings and weekends.
- Regular staff & department
  more... meetings. Something that became quite the norm was the amount of meetings that we had to attend. Yes, you get paid to go to these meetings, but they can take a lot of time away from your work. Be prepared for yearly conventions & seminars, which you are required to attend.

All in all, I really did enjoy my time at TRU. I loved my boss, and enjoyed the work that I did. But, you need to keep in mind what kind of environment that you are working in. If you feel that you cannot put up with any of the points I mentioned above, than I recommend you not to apply or work at TRU. If you are able to put up with the points I mentioned, and you are fortunate to have a good boss, than you should enjoy your time working at TRU.
Pros
Independent working environment, optional overtime, can work remotely, no micromanagement, easy-going environment
Cons
No culture, bureaucratic, your life will become TRU, no collaboration
Great work Environment
Accounting Auxiliary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 March 2018
Great Flexibility
Good work-life balance. I worked a few hours a week, but my schedule was great. The support staff and management are create. Plus there is a lot of opportunity to work in a matrix team and move around on secondment.
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC18 January 2014
Accolades Dining Room is a fine dining experience that serves 5 course meals and also has an excellent wine menu to accompany meals.
The culinary department also caters banquet events for large amounts of guests. They are either plate service of 3 - 5 course meals or buffet style.
At TRU's culinary department I have expanded my knowledge of fine food and wine. I also learned to appreciate the hard work and effective communication the front of the house and back had to put into an event to provide an amazing experience for the guests.
The management of Accolades have been there for many years and my coworkers were enjoyable to work with.
The hardest part but also an enjoyable challenge of the job was time management in set up however we never failed to be ready for service.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interaction with the guests and being able to help make their experience an enjoyable one so they would want to return to our establishment and experience it all again.
Pros
the salary
Cons
it was only on call part time
Good university with excellent facilities for studying
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC25 June 2013
Friendly atmosphere with opportunity to learn from senior management. I had a lot of room for creativity in my job functions.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little competition and thus too much job security
benefits were good but that was about it
former employee (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2013
Your life will be TRU and nothing else. If not a union employee they dont really care about you, will wear you out
Cons
long hours, no loyalty