Thompson Rivers University Employee Reviews for Event Coordinator

Juggling Many Different Balls At Once..
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 December 2018
This is a tough review to make since I really enjoyed my position quite a bit; however, there were a handful of aspects of this job that I wish was told before accepting the position. As mentioned in some previous reviews, your experience at TRU depends on the department that you work under. I found that the hardest part of this position was dealing with management and the lack of communication and decisiveness they had. It wasn't uncommon to go weeks on end without having an idea of where management stood on a project and/or on decisions that had to be made.

I really enjoyed the job itself, for the fact that there was something different to work on each and every day. Unfortunately, there were many times that I was handed work & projects last minute, which made deadlines a lot tighter then they had to be. Things tended to move at a slower pace, and I often found myself waiting for other people to get work done before I could proceed. This position also required a bit of travel and extended hours, which I didn't mind at all. Be mindful that not all jobs at TRU are your typical 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 job, and that includes this position.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Optional Overtime, Ability to work remotely/from home
Cons
Management, Inconsistent workloads, Bureaucratic environment, Occasional late evenings