Thompson Rivers University Employee Reviews

Union vs. Non-Union & Contracted Employees
Content Creator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC26 June 2018
Before I get into this review, I want to state that there is a difference working at TRU for union employees, compared to those who are non-union employees and contracted out positions. My position was an 18 month (auxiliary) contract, that was put together when TRU hired me onboard. I enjoyed my position quite a bit, and I did have some nice benefits given to me. I really enjoyed the kind of work I was able to do on projects that I was a part of. Unfortunately, there were some aspects of being a contracted employee that I had to put up with.

If you work at TRU as a non-union employee, or pick up a contract through TRU, be prepared for a much different experience to those who are union employees. Management was headache to deal with at times, since I wasn't a union employee, and I had to go about things differently. It was also not uncommon for non-union and contracted employees to be asked to work overtime & weekends. Additional and last minute work loads started to become an ongoing problem, which became too much to deal with by the end of my contract.
Pros
Good working environment, Could work remotely, Enjoyed the projects
Cons
Management, Bureaucratic, Last minute projects & additional hours added to schedule (evenings & weekends)
Great environment to learn and have fun
Social Media Intern (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 June 2018
TRU has a great work environment and job culture. People are friendly and polite, it is easy to work there and also have fun while you are learning surrounded by amazing co-workers.
good chance for graduate and undergraduate students
GRADUATE Teacher ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 June 2018
recruiting current student is a great support, also they pay very well. Additionally, they give you a chance to grow academically. It was a very positive experience, despite the inconsiderate supervisor.
Your experience at TRU depends on your boss & department
Strategist (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 May 2018
I was really fortunate to have a great position at TRU, under a very good department (OL), with a great boss. This is not the same for everyone that works at TRU. Your experience will depend on your job, department, and any management you work under. Unfortunately, there are some aspects of working at TRU that you should know before applying or accepting a job.

- TRU suffers from the 10/90 principle. Basically, 10% of the people do 90% of the work.
- TRU is a bureaucracy. You can work hard and do a good job, but your long year term co-worker, who is currently sleeping at his desk, will get the next promotion because he was there longer than you. Always remember that "longevity" wins in these kinds of environments.
- No culture. Despite what some people will tell you, TRU has no real culture among the staff and its departments. This can make collaboration or asking questions a nightmare, since most of the people are only there to "clock in and clock out".
- Requests take a long time to fill. If you need something ordered, then you should have done it "yesterday". Any requests to orders that you need can take weeks to months to get ordered. Even though you could go to a store and pick up what you need in a matter of an hour, you will have to order it through the university.
- TRU will become your life. If you are a good worker and get a lot of stuff done, there is a good chance you can be asked to work overtime and come in on weekends. This really depends on your department and boss, but it is not uncommon for staff to work evenings and weekends.
- Regular staff & department
  more... meetings. Something that became quite the norm was the amount of meetings that we had to attend. Yes, you get paid to go to these meetings, but they can take a lot of time away from your work. Be prepared for yearly conventions & seminars, which you are required to attend.

All in all, I really did enjoy my time at TRU. I loved my boss, and enjoyed the work that I did. But, you need to keep in mind what kind of environment that you are working in. If you feel that you cannot put up with any of the points I mentioned above, than I recommend you not to apply or work at TRU. If you are able to put up with the points I mentioned, and you are fortunate to have a good boss, than you should enjoy your time working at TRU.
Pros
Independent working environment, optional overtime, can work remotely, no micromanagement, easy-going environment
Cons
No culture, bureaucratic, your life will become TRU, no collaboration
Great work Environment
Accounting Auxiliary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 March 2018
Great Flexibility
Good work-life balance. I worked a few hours a week, but my schedule was great. The support staff and management are create. Plus there is a lot of opportunity to work in a matrix team and move around on secondment.
Lots to learn
Computer Science Support Lab Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 February 2018
Lots to learn and pply in classes as assignments and projects

Also, got a chance to help students and explain to them various concepts and approaches to handling problems in computer science
Great workplace
Editor, Development Support (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 January 2018
A typical day was spent at a computer without much team collaboration which can be an isolating work environment. But many events are celebrated for the staff and on-campus events for students are a fun way to experience the bigger university culture. Pay is good as is the opportunity for advancement and pursuing higher education.
Pros
Campus events
Cons
Boring work
Productive and fun working and living evrinoment.
Student (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC23 October 2017
Adapting to life in Canada was made much easier by being on campus at Thompson Rivers University. A typical day is eventful and at times long but manageable with a great work ethic and a positive mind-set. Most enjoyable part is no day is like the other being a student so it's always eventful. The hardest part initially was creating that balance between the time for serious work and the time to get to studying.
Pros
Free Food on Tuesdays
Cons
Long days of classes
Good experience
Work-Study Student (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 May 2017
The wages are nothing to boast about, but the opportunity to work with the wonderful faculty in TRUs philosophy department was priceless. TRU has wonderful staff and faculty who take a genuine interest in their students.
Best Horticulture Program
Horticulture Certificate Student (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 April 2017
Very hands on and practical learning. They covered many topics in enough detail to be applicable in a short amount of time. Would definitely recommend, but be prepared for a heavy work-load of tests and projects.
Productive and sustainable
Purchasing and General Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 February 2017
Great place to work and good people. Introduced new strategic initiatives to great benefit for the University.
8-4:30 daily
busy but rewarding
friendly environment
An great environment for educators.
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 January 2017
After being a student at Thompson Rivers University, I have also enjoyed working there as an ESL teacher. The job is exactly what I went to school for and I am able to joy the job well, with a lot of knowledge of the subject as well as enthusiasm. TRU is a great place to work with friendly, educated staff members.
Pros
Enjoyable work and a great staff
Cons
The work is not steady
Satisfactory
Guest Lecturer in Business and Marketing Programs (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2017
I only worked there on short term contract so this is hard to answer. It was a contract opportunity to come in and lecture in a variety of classes with a professor who knew me. I did not have a secure position with any secure salary.
I spoke in the evenings and provided a workshop type format to business and marketing students on social media.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Didn't work often enough
Fun and Loving Environment
Board of Director - Graduate Studies (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 September 2016
Very friendly staff . University is very beautiful and i did learn a lot from not only friends, but mentors and seniors. It helped me grow my leadership skills and work hard to be available to help anyone in need.
Great place to work at. Enjoyed time working there.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC15 September 2016
Basic utilities/ Maintenance Duties fixing things around University and trouble shooting. Worked on Grounds and inside University.Great bunch of guys and girls to work with.
productive and happy environment
Front counter server / Cashier / (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 July 2016
Fun,happy,warm environment to work with,easy to get along with each team members,maintain the happy environment to make sure that every each team member is happy before and after work.
Good place for a student/recent grad looking for a part time job!
Auxiliary Research Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 July 2016
I worked as a research assistant where I helped professors who have overload in their research. My responsibilities included writing up sections of their papers (e.g. literature reviews, introductions, findings, results, and conclusions). I also helped them with data analysis and the development of surveys. The professors were great to work with and provided a lot of insight into what is required when developing journal articles. It was a great job, because I was provided with a flexible schedule, which meant that I could work whenever it was suitable for me. However, the only issue I had with the job was how the site where I had to log in my hours was sometimes buggy and it meant that I had to contact the relevant people who could deal with the issues quite a few times. Overall, I would say that it is a great part-time job for a recent graduate like myself.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Great professors to work with
Cons
Employee site can be buggy
A very conducive environment to work
Coordinator, International Marketing(Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC13 February 2016
Working in the international marketing department has given me an avenue to learn and see things in other's perspective. It has also helped me to learn from people from all over the world
Sessional Instructor
Dec 2015 Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 October 2015
This year I am teaching ABTS 1400 Financial Accounting. Like last year at the Chase satellite campus, this course is so much fun to teach. Teaching on campus is a bit more formal than the class I taught in Chase last year. I love the challenge of introducing students to accounting.
Great Experience
Math Help Lab TA (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC1 July 2015
I worked as a Student TA for the Math Help Center. I had a great experience helping other students while also getting a decent wage to help pay my own tuition.