Thompson Rivers University

Thompson Rivers University Employee Reviews

Canada66 reviews
Filing a tax is complex and most enjoyable part because i learned a lot from filing a tax practically.Overall, the workplace gave me so constructive viewpoint regarding tax curriculum .
I have worked at TRU for 26 years and really enjoy the experience. I highly recomment TRU as an employer. Many department offer flexibility for work hours and such.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Can't think of any
Awesome people working there. It has flexible schedule and all the co-workers are very nice and friendly with strong team work and communication. Additionally, they give you a chance to grow academically. It was a very positive experience, despite the inconsiderate supervisor.
Excellent communication and collaboration with all faculty, staff
Consistent

Any problems are handled by leadership via phone or face-to-face

Anesthesia Assistant Program meets requirements for Accreditation
I Have worked as a part-time instructor at TRU for many years, starting when it was Cariboo College, then later when it was University College of the Cariboo, and since it became Thompson Rivers University. For a number of years I have been an online Faculty Member in the Geography Department. I have found the interaction with students interesting, the program delivery staff have been helpful and supportive, and I have enjoyed teaching online in a variety of courses, including Human Geography, Physical Geography, BC Regional Geography and Canadian Regional Geography.

I do most of my work at TRU online from my home office, but I interact with delivery support people both through email and also through a TRU phone, which I have in my home office. I have a well-equipped home office with my own laser colour printer/scanner/copier/fax machine and a black and white printer for high volume printing.

TRU organizes an annual professional development workshop for Open Learning faculty members. I have attended some of these events and found them to be useful in terms of awareness of the university environment and also for maintaining my academic and teaching skills.
I enjoy having some work on campus as it is easy and already available to be there that day. It is great to see the students in my class and to be able to be there for my teammates when they need help. It is a good experience for mentoring and I have gained many skills.
The best part about this work place is that, we get to know and learn a lot about handling a large number of students, how to manage time and stress level, get to know a lot about different cultures and try to implement all what we have learnt into the practical world.
University standards were followed. I found the classroom structure more suitable due to my specialized area of study compared to Simon Fraser University
I enjoyed being a part of this club while at TRU. I gained valuable networking experience and met with a different individual who explained their career path within the finance industry.
management always ensured that when employees where at work they were always free to voice out their concerns and did not have to fear the management and they made themselves very approachable.

Some days were overwhelming because of how busy it got but there was always support given to the employees when such happened.

We always looked forward to game nights as this gave all employees a platform to get to know their other teammates outside of work.
Pros
paid $3 for a meal card but were able to buy food worth $12, with each shift you got a shift drink.
Cons
set time to use your meal card.
I like to talk with different people from different calture, that is part of the reason I want to get a job which can talk and help others. I desire to learn.
Awesome people working there. It has good holiday and flexible schedule to me. All co-workers are very nice and friendly with strong team work and communication.
The employees and staff at Thompson Rivers University are all world-class individuals. This is a place that values its employees and most importantly, its students. The work environment is fun and there is never a dull moment.
I was a unionized worker in a great department. I had flexible hours and overtime, 3 weeks of vacation, and a lot of room for professional development.
This is a tough review to make since I really enjoyed my position quite a bit; however, there were a handful of aspects of this job that I wish was told before accepting the position. As mentioned in some previous reviews, your experience at TRU depends on the department that you work under. I found that the hardest part of this position was dealing with management and the lack of communication and decisiveness they had. It wasn't uncommon to go weeks on end without having an idea of where management stood on a project and/or on decisions that had to be made.

I really enjoyed the job itself, for the fact that there was something different to work on each and every day. Unfortunately, there were many times that I was handed work & projects last minute, which made deadlines a lot tighter then they had to be. Things tended to move at a slower pace, and I often found myself waiting for other people to get work done before I could proceed. This position also required a bit of travel and extended hours, which I didn't mind at all. Be mindful that not all jobs at TRU are your typical 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 job, and that includes this position.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Optional Overtime, Ability to work remotely/from home
Cons
Management, Inconsistent workloads, Bureaucratic environment, Occasional late evenings
I loved working for TRU even though it was for a short time. Alot of different things happening there like events and the people were nice. I like the culture and diversity as a team and individually. Management and supervisors are great!
Employees claim hours every two weeks and managers will confirm for the hours that are claimed. Employees will definitely get paid if they work over time.
I've worked at TRU with a few different titles: undergraduate research assistant, graduate research assistant, teaching assistant, and laboratory manager. Each position I felt confident and capable in, and I felt welcome at my place of work. It was a nice transition from being a student to an employee, and using what I learned from being a student in my everyday life. The people are all excellent to work with, and my supervisors were always reachable and I felt cared for in the workplace. Where I was, it was a relaxed position with a lot of understanding from my peers and supervisors, so that was really nice. Perhaps the hardest part about the jobs I had would be delivering bad news, since it's such a positive work environment and I didn't want to let anyone down. In the end though, we all find solutions to our problems together and come to agreements and understandings. The most enjoyable part of my jobs was the amount of day to day variation. Some days we would be travelling to the nearby grasslands, other days we have to go on a seven hour drive to reach our destination, and other days we have to stay back and perform lab work. This created an excellent work environment for everyone involved.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, day to day variation
Before I get into this review, I want to state that there is a difference working at TRU for union employees, compared to those who are non-union employees and contracted out positions. My position was an 18 month (auxiliary) contract, that was put together when TRU hired me onboard. I enjoyed my position quite a bit, and I did have some nice benefits given to me. I really enjoyed the kind of work I was able to do on projects that I was a part of. Unfortunately, there were some aspects of being a contracted employee that I had to put up with.

If you work at TRU as a non-union employee, or pick up a contract through TRU, be prepared for a much different experience to those who are union employees. Management was headache to deal with at times, since I wasn't a union employee, and I had to go about things differently. It was also not uncommon for non-union and contracted employees to be asked to work overtime & weekends. Additional and last minute work loads started to become an ongoing problem, which became too much to deal with by the end of my contract.
Pros
Good working environment, Could work remotely, Enjoyed the projects
Cons
Management, Bureaucratic, Last minute projects & additional hours added to schedule (evenings & weekends)
I learned fast. I followed through. I took on extra duties if I could to be a team member. Assignments were hit and miss. Staff were very possessive of their jobs.
TRU has a great work environment and job culture. People are friendly and polite, it is easy to work there and also have fun while you are learning surrounded by amazing co-workers.