Thompson Rivers University Employee Reviews

well organized
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 November 2018
Employees claim hours every two weeks and managers will confirm for the hours that are claimed. Employees will definitely get paid if they work over time.
good chance for graduate and undergraduate students
GRADUATE Teacher ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 June 2018
recruiting current student is a great support, also they pay very well. Additionally, they give you a chance to grow academically. It was a very positive experience, despite the inconsiderate supervisor.
Great environment to learn and have fun
Social Media Intern (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 June 2018
TRU has a great work environment and job culture. People are friendly and polite, it is easy to work there and also have fun while you are learning surrounded by amazing co-workers.
Na
Auxiliary Support Staff Assignments/Training (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC11 June 2018
I learned fast. I followed through. I took on extra duties if I could to be a team member. Assignments were hit and miss. Staff were very possessive of their jobs.
Juggling Many Different Balls At Once..
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 December 2018
This is a tough review to make since I really enjoyed my position quite a bit; however, there were a handful of aspects of this job that I wish was told before accepting the position. As mentioned in some previous reviews, your experience at TRU depends on the department that you work under. I found that the hardest part of this position was dealing with management and the lack of communication and decisiveness they had. It wasn't uncommon to go weeks on end without having an idea of where management stood on a project and/or on decisions that had to be made.

I really enjoyed the job itself, for the fact that there was something different to work on each and every day. Unfortunately, there were many times that I was handed work & projects last minute, which made deadlines a lot tighter then they had to be. Things tended to move at a slower pace, and I often found myself waiting for other people to get work done before I could proceed. This position also required a bit of travel and extended hours, which I didn't mind at all. Be mindful that not all jobs at TRU are your typical 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 job, and that includes this position.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Optional Overtime, Ability to work remotely/from home
Cons
Management, Inconsistent workloads, Bureaucratic environment, Occasional late evenings
A cool place to do research
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 September 2018
I've worked at TRU with a few different titles: undergraduate research assistant, graduate research assistant, teaching assistant, and laboratory manager. Each position I felt confident and capable in, and I felt welcome at my place of work. It was a nice transition from being a student to an employee, and using what I learned from being a student in my everyday life. The people are all excellent to work with, and my supervisors were always reachable and I felt cared for in the workplace. Where I was, it was a relaxed position with a lot of understanding from my peers and supervisors, so that was really nice. Perhaps the hardest part about the jobs I had would be delivering bad news, since it's such a positive work environment and I didn't want to let anyone down. In the end though, we all find solutions to our problems together and come to agreements and understandings. The most enjoyable part of my jobs was the amount of day to day variation. Some days we would be travelling to the nearby grasslands, other days we have to go on a seven hour drive to reach our destination, and other days we have to stay back and perform lab work. This created an excellent work environment for everyone involved.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, day to day variation
Great workplace
Editor, Development Support (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 January 2018
A typical day was spent at a computer without much team collaboration which can be an isolating work environment. But many events are celebrated for the staff and on-campus events for students are a fun way to experience the bigger university culture. Pay is good as is the opportunity for advancement and pursuing higher education.
Pros
Campus events
Cons
Boring work
Great work Environment
Accounting Auxiliary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 March 2018
Great Flexibility
Good work-life balance. I worked a few hours a week, but my schedule was great. The support staff and management are create. Plus there is a lot of opportunity to work in a matrix team and move around on secondment.
Union vs. Non-Union & Contracted Employees
Content Creator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC26 June 2018
Before I get into this review, I want to state that there is a difference working at TRU for union employees, compared to those who are non-union employees and contracted out positions. My position was an 18 month (auxiliary) contract, that was put together when TRU hired me onboard. I enjoyed my position quite a bit, and I did have some nice benefits given to me. I really enjoyed the kind of work I was able to do on projects that I was a part of. Unfortunately, there were some aspects of being a contracted employee that I had to put up with.

If you work at TRU as a non-union employee, or pick up a contract through TRU, be prepared for a much different experience to those who are union employees. Management was headache to deal with at times, since I wasn't a union employee, and I had to go about things differently. It was also not uncommon for non-union and contracted employees to be asked to work overtime & weekends. Additional and last minute work loads started to become an ongoing problem, which became too much to deal with by the end of my contract.
Pros
Good working environment, Could work remotely, Enjoyed the projects
Cons
Management, Bureaucratic, Last minute projects & additional hours added to schedule (evenings & weekends)
Lots to learn
Computer Science Support Lab Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 February 2018
Lots to learn and pply in classes as assignments and projects

Also, got a chance to help students and explain to them various concepts and approaches to handling problems in computer science
Productive and fun working and living evrinoment.
Student (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC23 October 2017
Adapting to life in Canada was made much easier by being on campus at Thompson Rivers University. A typical day is eventful and at times long but manageable with a great work ethic and a positive mind-set. Most enjoyable part is no day is like the other being a student so it's always eventful. The hardest part initially was creating that balance between the time for serious work and the time to get to studying.
Pros
Free Food on Tuesdays
Cons
Long days of classes
Satisfactory
Guest Lecturer in Business and Marketing Programs (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2017
I only worked there on short term contract so this is hard to answer. It was a contract opportunity to come in and lecture in a variety of classes with a professor who knew me. I did not have a secure position with any secure salary.
I spoke in the evenings and provided a workshop type format to business and marketing students on social media.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Didn't work often enough
An great environment for educators.
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 January 2017
After being a student at Thompson Rivers University, I have also enjoyed working there as an ESL teacher. The job is exactly what I went to school for and I am able to joy the job well, with a lot of knowledge of the subject as well as enthusiasm. TRU is a great place to work with friendly, educated staff members.
Pros
Enjoyable work and a great staff
Cons
The work is not steady
It is flexible and I can scheduled the time for my shifts as my demand
Math Tutor (Teaching Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Kamloops BC17 December 2012
The job is generally easy, I simply explain materials to students who do not understand the subjects in lectures. I learn to teach better each day and the supervisors are very nice to me. The hardest part of the job would be try to explain subject that I do not know such as business math. My most enjoyable part of the job is making people to pass that is one great accomplishment.
Pros
lots of free candy
Responsible for organizing and supervising the events and activities for domestic, aboriginal and international students in Thompson Rivers University
Activity Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 May 2014
• Supervise the events such as snowboarding, skiing, Halloween parties, hockey games, wine tours, white water rafting, etc. for up to 200 students.
• Take pictures or videos and follow up the events on Facebook page and other media tools.
• Provide a leadership role and first aid on the events.
Working for over 10+ years with TRU...
Instructor & Administration Auxiliary (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC8 January 2015
A very nice environment to work in. Busy schedules but everyone always has a moment to stop and help if needed.

The students bring the biggest accomplishments in my field. We, as instructors, base our days on student success. This is where we feel our job is well done when they learn and go on with the lives.
Flex work time, Communication with student.
TA of the Economic Department (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 October 2013
It is fun to be a tutor in school. I can talk with many students helping them identify and solve their questions. They come from different countries. It is always interesting to know the culture of a foreign country. To be an assistant for an instructor, I would like to finish my work before the died line.
Sessional Instructor
Dec 2015 Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 October 2015
This year I am teaching ABTS 1400 Financial Accounting. Like last year at the Chase satellite campus, this course is so much fun to teach. Teaching on campus is a bit more formal than the class I taught in Chase last year. I love the challenge of introducing students to accounting.
Best Horticulture Program
Horticulture Certificate Student (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 April 2017
Very hands on and practical learning. They covered many topics in enough detail to be applicable in a short amount of time. Would definitely recommend, but be prepared for a heavy work-load of tests and projects.
Good experience
Work-Study Student (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 May 2017
The wages are nothing to boast about, but the opportunity to work with the wonderful faculty in TRUs philosophy department was priceless. TRU has wonderful staff and faculty who take a genuine interest in their students.