Thompson Community Services
Happiness score is 69 out of 100

Thompson Community Services Employee Reviews

Canada75 reviews

individualsupportstaffpoortrainingmanagercareprovide

The job depends on the clients you work with

The job is nice and very exciting. This helps us to develop a great potential for beginners. The job is helping as to create a positive outlook towards the people who need help and care in day to day life.

Pros

free food

Cons

Productive and a fun workplace environment. Hands on learning and experience.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the teamwork with co workers and open communication with management (all issues are taken professionally and management resolves them accordingly). Learned a lot about the environment, and how people are effected within.No issues working within environment, or 'hardest part of the job'.

Insights into Thompson Community Services

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks

Some managers need training otherwise good company to work at

TCS is a good company to work with. Some houses are different than others. Some Nee managers need training on scheduling and staff management as there are too often incidences from past 1 year that people are not scheduled for the shifts. There is always a fear of getting struck at work for 16 hours straight at a full care house as often people do not show up on work as the manager forgets to schedule a person for a shift and one who is working have to stay longer than he /she supposed to until the on call manager finds someone to work the shift. It is bringing anxiety as this happens quite frequently for last 1 year. Upper management should think of retraining the managers for scheduling.

Poor management

Manager is useless and total lack of character. Gossips to other staff and breaks confidentiality by playing favouritism. There was talk amongst women staff that he is inappropriate behind closed doors

Fun place to work

Everyday is different and fun, the work culture is great and the job is enjoyable. We have tons of fun everyday. The environment is professional and the management is supportive and openminded.

Pros

Lots of community outings and fun celebrations

Cons

Work was good but poor management

If Thompson worked toward helping staff rather then just working staff to ground. And union wasn't much help either. Union doesn't do covid sickness pay or pay when staff losses family members

Do care for clientele

Overall decent work experience, some challenges with different work ethics. Managers did excel at advocating for clients and employees at times. Some work circumstances are definitely challenging.

Pros

Lots of work

Cons

Not enough employees

work at home care situation

nice experience and good salary , good management , and not do stressful , the management or manager / supervisor is always there every time you need her for guidance and suggestions

Pros

free snacks and lunches

Cons

more time shift

Good company to work for, though there have been challenges throughout the pandemic... as you might expect.

I've worked at TCS for a number of years and have found the managers, overall, to be caring, compassionate, understanding and flexible. That being said, I don't always agree with every decision, but that's just life, am I right? During the height of COVID, things were busy and stressful and all at TCS, from individuals served to owner to management to general staff, found this time to be uncertain, stressful, anxiety-producing, etc. The pandemic was obviously unprecedented in our time, so, yes, mistakes were made; for many, work/life balance took a hit, budgets took a hit, (and therefore some things weren't covered that some thought should be), it was difficult to 'connect' on a personal level, etc. The cost of living shot up and wages and benefits have yet to catch up, although collective agreement bargaining is in the works and raises and increases are almost certain. As things stand, in the field, Thompson Community Services offer competitive wages and benefits They could be better, but are fair and, generally, above industry standard.Coworkers are amazing - so many bring great caring, skills and talents to the job. Again, during the pandemic, company culture took a backseat and morale has suffered, though I'm starting to notice more in-person events and activities being planned already, as guidelines ease.I enjoy working for this company - I feel valued, included and, most importantly, find the work I do everyday significant and meaningful.

Pros

Good management, great coworkers, decent wages. Although COVID numbers are still high, I feel a 'shift' in the atmosphere at work, among individuals served and staff alike - more positive, more upbeat.

Cons

COVID - turned things upside-down for all of us, not just TCS!

not recommending

Management prefers untrained personnel. Will provide no training.Shift expectations are unclear. No standards of care. Med errors and falls are not followed up.

Stressful but slow paced

It is a slow paced and rewarding job. Sometimes it gets challenging as well. Managers are very helpful and provide you with necessary training. But, working at same location everyday gets stressful.

Pros

Slow paced

Cons

Repetitive duties

Do not work here if you value your mental health.

In the last couple of years (prior to the pandemic), things have declined significantly in terms of morale and poor management. Management pays little to no attention to the genuine complaints and concerns of their staff, resulting in a very unhealthy dynamic. TCS regularly disregards union policies by denying their employees accrued mileage and expenses. The amount of stress the unhealthy environment puts on the staff is not fair to the individuals supported here, or the workers. Things to note:-they’ll make you use your personal phone for work, with a menial $10/month reimbursement -they hire people with grade 12 diplomas and nothing more-you likely won’t receive any training Beware if you choose to work here!

Pros

union representation

Cons

no training, personal cell use, inexperienced staff and managers, micromanagement, lots of wear and tear on your vehicle

The pay was decent and that's about it.

If you want to get hit with your drunken managers minivan then this is the place to work for you! Most of the people were great to work with. The rest were not lol.

Great culture. Respectful atmosphere.

Good schedules, makes it easier to work another job if needed. Management is easy to speak to and genuinely cares about staff and individuals. Fun atmosphere.

Managment sucks especially this pandemic. Low salary compared to other companies. Try the other companies first before applying here.

I suggest that you apply for other companies first before applying here. Other companies are much better (salary wise and management wise) than this company. Don’t waste your time and effort here, they won’t appreciate it. They’re not rejecting applicants, so if you apply here, they gonna hire you for sure. People are just coming and go in this company.

Pros

Cons

Low salary compared to other companies Poor management No appreciation

Very fulfilling career!

Wonderful place to work! Residents are wonderful. Most staff are there for all the right reasons, because they want to see the residents live their best lives! Can be fast paced, lots to learn, but TCS is willing to train the right people as long as your values align with the agency values.

Pros

Fun, fast paced, teamwork, willing to train

Cons

Hours can be long, not enough staff, lower wage than some other agencies

Great co-workers

The staff is amazing to work with. The clients are fantastic. The work is rewarding. Most ideas are welcomed. The office manager should be replaced with someone with better people skills. I only left the company because of the office manager

Cons

The manager

17 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TCS. We are glad to hear that you worked with great staff and enjoyed supporting the individuals that we care for. We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Management. Please know that TCS does its best to train our Managers in conflict resolution and leadership to ensure that our staff is able to address issues when they arise. If you have additional concerns, we welcome you to contact the CEO of TCS to allow us to understand how to serve staff and individuals better. - TCS Management

Don’t work here

Lack of job security. Everything is based on seniority. Lots of drama with coworkers. Clients are constantly neglected and treated like second class citizens. Tcs is a testament to why we need to abolish private care giving companies. If you don’t like how something is done, you essentially have to keep it to yourself or risk losing your job or being placed in a different program. Terribly disorganized. No accountability amongst staff. I would not feed the food they feed the clients. So short staffed they essentially just put anybody in the house to have someone there regardless of experience.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Feeling like I let the clients down for not being able to change their situation

17 September 2021
Thank you for writing a review on TCS. We are very sorry to hear about your negative experience working with our agency. At TCS, we encourage our staff to offer new ideas and vocalize their concerns to help us maintain a healthy workspace. At TCS, we believe that holding each other accountable is necessary to ensure we create a positive work environment. Accountability is part of what allows us to provide high-quality care to the individuals we support. TCS values feedback so that we can learn and grow as an agency, and therefore welcome you to utilize our open-door policy, and contact the CEO of TCS with any concerns that you may have. - TCS Management

Inclusive, respectful and a fun environment

I feel the culture of TCS is supportive and inclusive. They truly care about the supported individuals and enhancing their lives. This, to me, is what it is all about. I feel I am valued and can make a difference. Everyday is something new!

Pros

wages are competitive

9 August 2021
Thank you so much for your review on TCS. At TCS, we believe inclusivity is an important element which ensures that both our staff and individuals feel valued in our offices and in the community. - TCS Management

Family, fun work culture

I completely enjoyed my time working at TCS Kelowna. It's not just a job it's family. The management team in Kelowna are amazing, they make you feel comfortable and cared about. Everyone helps each other when they can and the friendly, fun, family culture made me feel like I was not working. There are challenging days but the staff and managers are there to help and support to get through those days. TCS is the best company I have ever worked for. Need to expand and have offices in Alberta.

Pros

Great managers, safe environment, staff appreciation days, training courses

9 August 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TCS! We are so glad you had such a great experience working with us. Creating positive & healthy workplace cultures in all of our offices is one of our main priorities to ensure that our staff feels happy at work each day. - TCS Management

You only get out what you put in!

The care and respect for the individuals and employees can be seen and felt at TCS from the top down. TCS provides the opportunity for growth and advancement for those that want it. Excellent benefits for anyone that holds a position over 20 hours. Knowing that your solely responsible for enhancing the lives of individuals you support is the greatest gift! The residential programs are our homes away from home, the team is our family unit! I encourage anyone who likes to make a difference to join us! If I’m honest, when I read some of the other reviews left here I cannot believe some of the right out lies. You cannot please everyone! You only get out what you put in! I can see myself at TCS for years to come!

Pros

support, training, benefits, work/life balance, pension, stability

Cons

High turn over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thompson Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement