Things Remembered Employee Reviews

Found 31 reviews matching the search See all 1,073 reviews
Fun workplace
Base Crew/ Engraver (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 November 2018
It was a good experience to learn , I thoroughly enjoyed it. I learned how crazy the holidays really make everyone.It made me happy to know our clients came to us and got the best results for their gifts possible.
fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, AB29 October 2018
great place to work. excellent hours decent pay, happy environment,relaxed setting, awesome compensation, fast paced, ability to help at secondary location
Rewarding and interesting work environment.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
Fun and interesting to learn a new skill such as engraving. Really touching to see a customer appreciate your work. Amazing staff and management. Challenging during peak seasons because of popularity. Goal oriented and driven by sales and numbers. Organized system with a focus on improvement and efficiency.
Pros
Best gifter in the family.
Cons
Long hours working alone in the store.
meh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 August 2018
Great store for gifts and personalized items for special occasions. looking for something sentimental go to things remembered for your personalized gits. Staffs very nice and very quick with engraving.
Great People, distressed business.
Region Manager - Canada (Former Employee) –  Canada4 April 2018
Passionate people all working together in a fun environment. Heavy workload and fast pace. This is retail at its best yet most difficult. It is a labour of love. Very rewarding emotionally if not financially.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 March 2018
It was a great experience working at Things Remembered. It was really fun and a different retail experience because you have to make sure every customer that walks out the store is happy with their purchase since it would be most likely personalized. The store is unique because of the fact that every item in the store can be personalized. The hardest task would probably be learning different ways to engrave and pleasing every customer with engraving. It is extremely fun engraving and providing customers with ideas. In terms of how busy the store is, it is extremely busy during Christmas and wedding seasons because that's when people would be shopping for gifts. In general, the store is amazing and a very enjoyable workplace.
Poor Company Expectations
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
I worked here for a seasonal sales position and overall it was an alright experience. A lot of items are extremely overpriced for where its made/quality. The main reason why I rate 2 stars, is because of company/management expectations. Management judges you if you don't speak to customers **a certain way** that is up to their criteria. My manager was suggesting i forcibly compliment EACH customer that walks in, even if that is not true to my opinion. (E.g. "I love your hair, or purse.. Nice watch you got there...") Why do companies/management force this tactic on employees as it simply cannot always be the truth, and its just a sales tactic to get customers happy for that 1 second in your store... Theres a difference between being genuine as a person living in this world VS. doing something just so your company can attain higher sales.

I made sure NEVER to lie to customers JUST to forcibly "compliment" them, JUST so I can abide into this company standard to meet the sales goals or expectations of my manager.

Lesson learned: be in a job where I can truly be myself and don't have to be fake to customers!
Productive and fun workplace
Eastgate Square - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  hamilton On9 March 2018
I mostly enjoyed personalizing custom gifts per special occasions &
I loved seeing smiles on customers faces while showing them their customized gift
fun work place
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2018
A very creative space
Poor scheduling (either too many hours or too few)
Poor management
Given good education regarding the engraving process
Can be a hectic environment during holidays and summertime
Pros
Creative Environment
Cons
Poor scheduling and management
Good place to start gainign experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 June 2017
a typical day at work requires to communication skills, you learn engraving from a friendly staff. you take orders from the manager and the customer and pay ttention to details
it was ok
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB19 April 2017
You learned a lot about engraving, but the management could have been better. Everything was disorganized and the schedule was never solid for the week
Pros
engraving
Cons
minimum wage
Fun and unique workplace
Engraver / Key holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2017
Working at Things Remembered was a really unique opportunity. Instead of just tending to customers, you actually got to make something that required skills and experience. As it was a part time job for me while I attended college, it really gave me what I needed in the sense that I enjoyed going in to work and doing what was expected.
Pros
Free engravings
Cons
Store was empty at some points
Interesting, good hours
Key Holder / Accounting Administrative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2017
Was fun working at Things remembered. Learned how to engrave on glass and all other in store products. Friendly co-workers and hardest part of the job at first was to get used to engraving on glass, but once you got trained well, it became easy. Learned how to operate opening and closing procedures alone.
Okay company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 October 2016
My time at this company was very short (2 months) and this was the shortest time I've ever worked before, not including seasonal positions. The store manager treated everyone poorly before finally getting fired for the unprofessional attitude towards customers and employees. After they left, the assistant manager showed favoritism to other employees because they were able to meet their target than those who were still learning the ropes in selling. I never learnt how to engrave during my time there and I found it to be a sign since I left not too long after. The place overall made me feel miserable. But it was fun to learn how to sell and interact with customers
Staff is store great up management suck
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ontario31 July 2016
The staff are not supported by the upper management. All blame lays on the staff and no solutions are ever given to help them. Upper management is very negative, they never appreciate anything. You make the day no comment you miss the day you are under fire.
Pros
Great store
Cons
no recognition
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 May 2016
The manager I had was very calm and great at teaching her staff, if your sales are not to the company standards you don't get hours.
Easy Going place to work
Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 March 2016
A fun and easy going place to work. Coworkers were fun. Management were great and very helpful.
I found that working to please the customers was very easy.
Mediocre
Assistant Manager/Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 January 2016
The company has very high expectations of their employees yet compensates them with minimum wages. Throughout my experience with the company I have watched longtime managers and employees walk out of their jobs due to unappreciation, being disrespected, and gossip amongst management. It is a very demanding job, and very stressful, if you do not make your sales target more than often, you will become targeted by the higher ups, and they will demand to remove you from the company.
Cons
working single coverage for more than 3-4 hours with no bathroom breaks
Asisstant Manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 January 2016
Typical Day at work:
Dealing with various customers

What I Learned at work:
Manager Skills
Engraving products (metal to glass)

Management:
Regional/District only cares about well-being of themselves and the company (which is understandable on a company basis)
Does not care about well-being of staff or management team
Makes empty promises; don't expect a lot or change
Dishonest with contract raises (even though their is cyber contract made and signed by employee)
Makes you over work and also not being able to get paid for the time
Some managers are just blatantly rude and unprofessional (curses in front of customers and at employees)

Co-workers:
Very energetic and pleasant

Hardest Part of the job:
Is saying no to persistent customers

Enjoyable part of the job:
Customer satisfaction
Pros
Their is nothing good that can come from this company long term
Cons
Management (regional and district and In store) is very and utterly poor and very DISHONEST!
Fun, productive, creative and safe work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2015
I very much enjoyed my time working at Things Remembered. On a regular day at work, I would spend my time cleaning displays, greeting customers, assisting in finding the perfect gift, engraving various items, and handeling the cash register. A lot of the time I would have shifts working alone, which made the job both difficult and even more rewarding. I learned how to manage my time wisely with customers, how to establish trust, and how to be a positive team player. I enjoyed working with my fellow team members, and will always look highly upon this company.