Things Engraved Inc

Things Engraved Inc Pay & benefits reviews

I worked extremely hard there and the job was thoroughly enjoyable. My manager wanted to give me a raise or put me on as full time to get benefits as I was doing a lot of assistant manager work. I was never approved for it by head office and they hired someone new on full time. Engraving is very enjoyable but you still have to help customers while doing so which can lead to a lot of angry people when it gets busy as you are typically the only one on shift. The job is not worth the minimum wage you earn, but if you work at a slower store it can be fun and challenging.
Pros
Creative freedom, Good discounts, Good store management
Cons
No appreciation, No raises, Horrible head office management
working at things engraved was fine I would recommend if you like jewellery if you do not like jewellery I do not recommend working your customers were fairly decent staff was very friendly paid very well too bad they close down however that’s life
Often work alone which can stressful or boring. Stressful - you have to close the whole store down for breaks/washroom when/if you get a chance. Hours always vary from 5 hours to 25 hours a week. No bonuses/incentives.
I was with the company for almost five years and never saw a promotion, a raise, or barely even a thank you. To them, you are a number and that's it. The staff you work with are fine, but sometimes a bit gossipy. The hours are wishy-washy, the expectations are way too high, and the incentives to get there aren't really anything fun. People abuse the fact that there is no clock-in or clock-out feature, and take 45 minute to 60 minute breaks. They also like to shove work onto others and not be responsible for their own mistakes. They expect you to work long hours alone and have no way to sit or rest. The work and the customers I did it for were worth it, but it was time to move on.
Pros
Okay discounts, fun work
Cons
Long hours, toxic workplace, no advancement, low pay
I worked here for 3 years, it was fun but upper management was horrible. No support whatsoever for managers and their staff, in a year the DM didnt come in once to help or support the changes that were going on. Could never reach them either, took 3 days for them to return a phone call if it was returned at all. When you did get a call, you would be berated rather than being built up on your successes. Multiple times I would get emails demanding answers at all hours of the night, sometimes 1am or 2am, how is that professional? What you did was never good enough and you were always failing at something. There is a reason the stores do not have managers in this city, no one wants to work for the DM or can handle working for them. They will continue to lose staff and I am shocked that the RM hasnt caught on to what is happening and that the DM still has their position after losing their entire staff. Overall it was a fun job, but benefits of the job and bonuses continued to be taken away, along with never being appreciated for the hard work and hours you put in to keep the store profitable, and constantly being criticized on your mistakes instead is not worth the fun part of the job. The only good thing about my time there, was I gained a lot of experience from dealing with everything on my own.
Pros
Fun, get lots of management experience
Cons
Everything else
A wonderful place to work!! My time there sadly came to an end but it's a wonderful place to be and to work! The people i worked with as well as the management were very sweet and thorough with their explanations and training! It was an overall fantastic environment to work in!
Pros
Easy going environment, great training, great people, great benefits!
Cons
Business is usually quite slow, with the exception of the holidays. Management was great and scheduling was always done to accommodate employee schedules outside of work. As this is a retail job, there is a variety of customer types and you must be able to manage conflicts. It's a fairly straightforward job and once you get into the swing of things, it can be fun.
Pros
Good management
Cons
No opportunity for advancements or raises
High turn over because you work alone,and a lot (financially) is expected of a small specialty store. However, the job is easy overall and fitting of the minimum wage paid. Not many hours available.
Pros
Easy, creative
Cons
Inadequate hours, minimum wage
the management wasn't great, hired people who did not know what they were doing whivh was frustrating. no advancement within the company. can not get a raise no matter how good you are
I worked for this company for a long time, they have horrible pay and only offer benefits to mangers. The higher ups recommended instead of firing someone to cut their hours until they were forced to quit. They didn't/don't treat their employees with respect or loyalty.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Things Engraved Inc?
Continuously added more and more to the job and didn't give raises. Focus was highly administrative and less about one on one as time went on. A lot of turn over and not a lot of coverage.
The job itself is really fun. The district manager is a bully. Minimum wage for a job that deserves more. Mandatory, difficult to achieve sales goals will be a constant source of anxiety for most employees. The commission is based on your store making/exceeding it's target - you will hardly ever see your hard earned commission. Part time employees will hardly get any hours. It is a very "pushy sales person" job, prepare yourself.
Pros
You learn a cool skill, coworkers are usually awesome
Cons
High turn over, almost never getting your commission, no hours
Love the people, love the work. Good hours - 8:30-4:30 Monday to Friday. Fair compensation. Love assisting in creating lasting memories for people.
Worked for the company for many years, and there was no advancement in position or wage. Hours given are based on what management doesn't want to take. Bullying tactics were used to get sales and management was irresponsible and ignored complaints. As long as they were making money, it didn't matter who they stepped on.
Pros
Fun to engrave and work with customers
Cons
Management, pay, hours
Loved engraving and that side of the job! My co workers were great! Hours were hard to get. Pay was minimum wage. Targets to get bonuses were unrealistic.
Pros
Great managers, engraving is fun
Cons
Little hours, minimum wage, little opportunity for advancement, unrealistic targets
It is easy, typical retail work. Management can be quite lax, but occasionally it is good. If you work hard, you can get in the good books easily but not necessarily advance.
I love working at Things Engraved, the job is fun, the staff and management are very nice. The only thing that is wrong is the pay. Very low pay and no chance for a raise.
Pros
Wonderfull staff and learn things new everyday!
Cons
No chance for raise.
Friendly staff and fun job with a very creative aspect involved. Pay raises and advancing is nearly impossible.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Pay
As a retail establishment, the job focused on the customer's needs. A typical day at work consisted of greeting customers, determining their needs, and striving to meet them in creative ways. Engraving was a large part of the job as well, and good multitasking skills were often required to complete engraving orders while also serving customers. Coworkers and management were easy to get along with, and always worked together as a team to meet engraving deadlines. Regular informal meetings were held to discus sales targets, and each staff member was always welcome to share ideas on how to improve sales. For me, the most difficult part of the job was the high focus on sales targets and selling techniques. While I have several years of customer service/retail experience, I prefer an environment where I can focus on meeting a customer's needs without feeling like I am required to push a product on them. The best part of this job was the engraving. From this job I learned excellent technical skills with engraving machines and software. As well, it taught me about the properties of various materials and whether they will take engraving. I enjoyed the mechanical aspects of needing to re-tool the machines for different types of items. As well, I felt that my attention to detail and task oriented manner was well suited to the engraving aspect of the job.
Pros
Monthly incentives if we reached our sales goals as a team.
Cons
No raises given to empoyees regardless of experience.
Great people to work with but hard to get a raise. Had to find another job and when I gave resignation then I was offered a raise otherwise they said they had a wage freeze on.Stability was good, schedule was regular with no changing of shifts and no cancellation of shifts so guarantee hrs meant guarantee money.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
no bathroom breaks