Things Engraved Inc Employee Reviews

Stressful, shecdule always changing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON20 January 2019
Asking to much work for pay even when you do your best it’s still not good enough, your life revolves around the job little social life always got calls on my days off didn’t understand only wanted part time even during holidays shecdule changes 2 to 3 times a week can’t seem to keep staff management not so great
Productive and fun workplace
-fun staff to work with
-manageable hours
-great discounts
-fun environment overall
Great place to learn, horrible managment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2019
Things engraved was an excellent place to further skills and learn a lot of new things. Part time hours were great because they gave you enough time to balance your life. Management was ridiculous. They literally want you to lie to customers in order to make EPS (Good sales) or don't sell the product at all if they don't want it engraved.
Pros
It's inside of a mall, lots of things to learn
Cons
Forced to lie by manager and you get paid minimun wage when it should've been higher
A good job if you take it seriously
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 January 2019
This retail job is not for everyone. I personally love it. The hours are great (matched mall hours). The skills I have learned (engraving metal, glass, plastic) have taught me more than just servicing customers. I love selling, which is a main part of the job.

I also don't need a lot of direction to work. I had a DM that wasn't involved, I did not mind. I notice other reviews need more support than myself so this probably would have been an issue for them.

My new DM is incredible. She gives ideas on how to sell better, connect with customers and staff, and how to do administration within the store properly.

I am a manager, I have hired my entire team myself. I very much enjoy my team. And when I hire a new person I have them meet my team to know if they will work with our culture.

There is always room for advancement in this company. I know people that started as a sales associate and now run in the head office.

Like I said at the beginning. This job is not for everyone. It's retail, retail can be a hard world to work in. But if you stick to a job, show your skills, enjoy everyday, then you will succeed!
Pros
Bonuses monthly and annually, macromanagement from uppers, hours are great and in control of managers
Terrible district manager, stressful standards
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 December 2018
It is a stressful environment. Thankfully all the store managers I had were fantastic but They rotate through store managers quickly, there were 4 in the six months I worked at the store. The district manager however was rude and demeaning to the employees. The standards they ask you to hit aren’t reasonable and force you to be a pushy, overbearing salesperson. The only real Benifit I found was that my coworkers were great.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Terrible district manager, stressful, push sale tactics
Good stable job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON20 November 2018
It really is a good place to work. I had wonderful coworkers for the most part and everyone there was very eager to help you if you made a mistake or needed assistance. The only thing that wasn't too great was the management. We were short staffed for almost 2 months (3 staff total) and when the time came for me to move on to a job in my field, they were down to 2 staff running the whole store. If management had spent some time to hire more people within those 2 months we were short staffed, it would have made it an easier transition on both them and I when I left. One thing I really liked about working for this company is that at the end of each month you get a bonus. So you work for $/hour, but then at the end of the month, if you made your sales targets or over, everyone in the store would split the commission based on hours worked and how much each person made in sales that month. It was a very nice surprise on the last paycheck of each month.
Pros
Bonus money each month, stable and pretty calm job
Cons
Short staffed a lot
Lairs and drug addicts
Sales Associate/ Engraver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 October 2018
My review summary speaks for its self the managarr was and is a drug addict and lies about more hrs or training and the area manager is really lazy and a thief and steals all the time and does free engravings for herself and family and friends but not for her employees which is bs
Pros
Cons
Management management management
Poor company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 September 2018
As a company
They are horrible they treat like garage they don’t pay well as a manager they pay close to minimum wage and make you do all the work they don’t give you enough training
Don’t work their they don’t care and most of the staff that work there will treat you like nothing and will talk about you every chance they have and the upper manager do nothing
District Manager for Ontario; not great. The actual work; pretty good.
Sales associate and Engraver (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON30 August 2018
Alright place to work. While the store manager was fantastic she left due to the district manager's poor attitude towards her own employees. Many people followed suite. Otherwise, the work is engaging and at my location I rarely had to deal with troublesome customers.
decent
SALES ASSOCIATE AND KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 August 2018
the management wasn't great, hired people who did not know what they were doing whivh was frustrating. no advancement within the company. can not get a raise no matter how good you are
Find another job!
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 August 2018
Management is terrible, the district manager always talks down to you no matter how hard you work. My managers were okay, one in particular was really nice, but besides that, management was terrible.

Customers were so rude, I mean, extremely rude. Unless you drop everything to engrave their item right away, people were disappointed. Not to mention the high prices.

The sales targets are completely unrealistic as its normally very slow.

This job is horrible, find another place to work. I should know as I worked here for over a year before I quit.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
management, hours, unrealistic, everything
Learned something new everyday
Key Support/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2018
there was always something new to learn everyday. From new ways to engrave or new products that would come into the store. Days would start with finding out what was need to get done for the days as well as any mistakes that happened the day before. they would then either start before the store opened and the till would need to be counted and entered into the computer.
Store Manger Things Engraved
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 August 2018
A rewarding retail position where you actually learn, as well as share, valuable skills and get to build lasting relationships with customers. It makes me proud to work for a Canadian company with a stellar reputation that prides itself on providing excellent customer service. I feel supported by my district manager and have a great rapport with our corporate head office because our company has an open door policy. We have training programs and flexible hours that make this a good entry level job or a supplementary job for anyone with a passion for people. I have worked here for over 8 years and it never gets boring because every customer brings a new occasion and a new challenge. Also as a manager having the opportunity to recruit and train new talented engravers is always enjoyable.
Pros
You get to be creative and let your personality shine, Bonus program, Extensive training
Cons
A bit stressful at Christmas, but that's retail!
hated the manger and job
Engraver Cashier Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 August 2018
long hours on your feet very tiring and demanding busy work place engarving itemems and filling out work orders
multitasking poor mangment manger was a awful very rude and disrespectful
Pros
meeting new people
Not recommended
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 August 2018
Targets are too high, equipment is very old and worn wrecks products. Constant paperwork and general disrespect to the employees. VERY underpaid. Store level is great but head office does nothing, lets people go with no explanation.
Pros
Gain some retail experience, learn a trade (engraving)
Cons
No guarantee of hours, shifts change, no respect for employees
Rude people everywhere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON11 August 2018
The employees are all stuck up and don't care about anyone but themselves. They will do anything to get rid of a shift but will not take one in return.
Horrible management
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Canada26 July 2018
Horrible management, little to no training. Unrealistic targets and expectations. District manager treats you like a child. Long hours, often no breaks because youre alone.
Awesome !
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 July 2018
The hours were flexible, the staff was lots of fun, and it was in the mall, where you have lots of opportunity to make friends with other people working around you. Would definitely suggest working here!
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
No hours past 9pm due to mall closing
Decent Job
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 June 2018
Okay as an experience in customer service and entry level metal working (specifically engraving). Management can be difficult to consult with, as there is a hierarchy among many of the older employees.
cheap products
employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 June 2018
This place sells cheap products. The dollar store has more value and better quality. The most enjoyable part of the job are the bathroom breaks. The upper management is laughable at best, awful at worst.
Pros
bragging rights
Cons
bragging rights

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Things Engraved Inc. Our community is ready to answer.