Things Engraved Inc

Things Engraved Inc Employee Reviews

Canada105 reviews
This company sadly shut down. I did enjoy my job but answered no to all questions due to the closure of the company. Even though I liked it it was still air of work and stressful at times.
I highly do not recommend working for this company, I was hired on from a seasonal part time position during the holidays, this job at the beginning was fine my hours were pretty good considering it was getting close to sales season. After working there for a couple of months management would constantly scold you for absolutely nothing I was told to up sell cards, box’s, and bags with every work order and if I forgot one step I would get told off. The head management that would come in every month was also very rude to the employees, and she was never even in the store ever so I don’t see how she even understands how the business was really run. I quit after 9 months, I also never got a single weekend off and they were not accommodating with scheduling. I highly don’t recommend working for this company
geforgot one step
working at things engraved was fine I would recommend if you like jewellery if you do not like jewellery I do not recommend working your customers were fairly decent staff was very friendly paid very well too bad they close down however that’s life
Unfortunately the company closed it's doors all were dismissed. But they paid all staff monies owed to them, which I really respect they could have waited and put the company into bankruptcy and then we would have gotten nothing.
Working for for Things Engraved was great. It was an opportunity to work on my visual merchandising, typography and customer service skills. The job also helped me to become a manager, something that I had worked towards for years.

With any company that deals with 3rd party products and services communication can be a struggle. When things were happening out my control I was often frustrated on behalf of the customers. When things went right I was happy with the results sometimes more than the customer.

My goal as a manager was always to have a light and happy work environment. That is the key to a successful team and helps customers want to come back and continue to buy from our particular location.

Although Things Engraved as stores is no more I think there is great potential for the company to reboot and become something better. Not sure what they have in mind for restructuring but I do know they have staff at the head office that think outside of the box and get creative.
I loved working at Things Engraved and would have continued working there unfortunately all staff were laid off because the company filed for bankruptcy
a typical day at work is people yelling at you cause the pricing of engraving is to high, or products is very limiting. most days your dealing with everything a customers says to you and even with you trying your best to help them your very limited which gets them even more frustrated.

you either work with a great set of people or with people who just either are borderline racist.

your never sure if your job is secure cause one minute you have a job or the next you get a call saying the store is close of unknown reasons and you lost hours which you can get back.
This job allowed me to use my creative side to produce amazing gifts to be remembered. I was never bored in the over 10 years I was there as there was always something new to learn. I found Head Office staff were helpful and my District Manager was absolutely amazing and supportive though out any challenging situations. If you are looking to learn a new and challenging skill, believe in delivering exceptional customer service, and have a knack for gift giving then this is a great job to have!
Often work alone which can stressful or boring. Stressful - you have to close the whole store down for breaks/washroom when/if you get a chance. Hours always vary from 5 hours to 25 hours a week. No bonuses/incentives.
I really enjoyed working at TE till a new District Manager started and she implemented a ton of new rules which was hard to have a work/life balance. Store Managers never get weekends off and most of the time end up having to work open to close.
Fun
Challenging

Seasonal position

Sales oriented

Product knowledge

Weekly/Monthly Deals

High sale incentives

Effective and efficent engraved work

Cost effiecient
Good Company to work for but potential to grow is limited. It's a great place to learn new skills and great management and people to work with.
I would love to stay with the company but desiring a little more to grow and use my skills learnt over the years.
I was with the company for almost five years and never saw a promotion, a raise, or barely even a thank you. To them, you are a number and that's it.

The staff you work with are fine, but sometimes a bit gossipy. The hours are wishy-washy, the expectations are way too high, and the incentives to get there aren't really anything fun.

People abuse the fact that there is no clock-in or clock-out feature, and take 45 minute to 60 minute breaks. They also like to shove work onto others and not be responsible for their own mistakes.

They expect you to work long hours alone and have no way to sit or rest.

The work and the customers I did it for were worth it, but it was time to move on.
Pros
Okay discounts, fun work
Cons
Long hours, toxic workplace, no advancement, low pay
I loved the engraving portion of the job but district manager was horrible to deal with. Would constantly put you down and tell you that your ideas were "stupid". They dont value the meaning behind engraving and making the gift personal, it's all a money grab to this company and squeezing every last cent that they can out of the customer. Save yourself the trouble and dont put yourself through working there.
i worked here for just the Xmas time, i did not like it at all. they are really pushy and you have to hit the numbers that they want all of the time and if you do not because it is slow and you didnt have many people come into the store it is still your fault.
would not work there again!
The management was great and always very understanding of life situations. The process of learning to engrave is simple. Once you learn the fundamentals of the engraver, the workplace becomes a fun and independent space for the employees to thrive with creativity and amicable relationships with clients. The team I worked with was supportive, and the district manager checked in regularly while being personable and understanding of each individual employee.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No break room, lockers, stock room
enjoy engraving different items every shift while keeping a clean store
Pros
not a busy location
Cons
work alone for long periods of time
I worked here for 3 years, it was fun but upper management was horrible. No support whatsoever for managers and their staff, in a year the DM didnt come in once to help or support the changes that were going on. Could never reach them either, took 3 days for them to return a phone call if it was returned at all. When you did get a call, you would be berated rather than being built up on your successes. Multiple times I would get emails demanding answers at all hours of the night, sometimes 1am or 2am, how is that professional? What you did was never good enough and you were always failing at something. There is a reason the stores do not have managers in this city, no one wants to work for the DM or can handle working for them. They will continue to lose staff and I am shocked that the RM hasnt caught on to what is happening and that the DM still has their position after losing their entire staff.

Overall it was a fun job, but benefits of the job and bonuses continued to be taken away, along with never being appreciated for the hard work and hours you put in to keep the store profitable, and constantly being criticized on your mistakes instead is not worth the fun part of the job. The only good thing about my time there, was I gained a lot of experience from dealing with everything on my own.
Pros
Fun, get lots of management experience
Cons
Everything else
Working with the manager is good
It's the district manager hard to work for.

Fun to work with the boss makes it competitive and fun

Make the company achieve goals has to do with happly staff

I was a hard worker love what I did

Pleasant customers

Nice staff
Pros
Fun to work there
Cons
District manager hard to work for
district manager is bully and always make out that you are lying. she doesn't believe any thing you tell her. plus she text and email all hurs of the night and you must ask the text or she loses on you. If you tell the regional manager about this she take the district manager side. not worth the pay you get.
Pros
enjoy engraving things
Cons
district manager is bully and what you to push items on customers.
Amazing career for you if you are creative and a outgoing person! Yes it is a sales job and it's difficult at times but heck if it's not is it not worth it???

Management can be hard to deal with at times

Pay is basic and a bit unfair ( between PT and FT )
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Low pay
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Things Engraved Inc. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7