Thermo Design Engineering Employee Reviews

fun work place
pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  17 street edmonton south19 April 2018
I loved working with Thermo Design, I was pipe fitter and steam fitter. Everyone got laid off otherwise I would never quit. I have worked for over 15 years as a pipe fitter foreman.
Productive and friendly workplace
Senior Control Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2018
design and drafting of work assigned for current project;
excellent management;
friendly working culture;
all parts of the job are enjoyable;
experience at electrical shop.
great place
2nd Year Pipefitter Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2017
Great place to learn the trade. everyone treats each other with respect. I would recommend it to anyone looking to further their experience in the trade.
Poor office work environment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2017
Not very good environment to work in the office. Management is always pointing fingers at someone or a group in the office to blame for problems. They let go of good, decent workers and keep bad project managers who cause the other groups to overrun on hours. Have to fight for your wage, always feel. Like you'll be let go. No flexibility on hours, always last minute travel plans and then they wonder why you are not able to travel because 1 or 2 days notice is not enough to arrange things at home. Promoting people who are not good at managing only because they are in the "old boys club", do not promote on merit. If you're not willing to play politics, you'll probably be let go. Owner was very personable but company was being handed off to younger generation who didn't have the background or merit to be in those positions.

The engineering teams themselves were very good and easy to work with. Everyone was willing to share information and there was an increase in job tasks and responsibility of your work as you gained experience. Steep learning curve but team was always there to support you.
Pros
Good team members in the groups, lots of learning opportunity
Cons
Management, constant blame.
welder
CWB welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2017
Good people, positive work environment where management wants people happy and well suited to their position i enjoy it working with that company t
Pros
Cons
1 year
Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2017
Excellent professionals, good work environment. A company that has always been growing until 2017 unfortunately.I will recommend any one to work with them.
Pros
flexible
benefits
Great Place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2017
My typical day included welding.I learned more techniques of welding.Management was easy to work for.I enjoyed learning more about welding.Good place to work.
Enjoy the Chrimas Party every time
Welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton , AB19 December 2016
I learn many new things during working and working hard. Management was very help full . Welding at 45 feet height was the hard day.
shop
PIPEFITTER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
Great company to work for well organizes clean fun great people and transportation to job site every day great benefits and great union only downfall is they
Exellant place for woking
Steam Fitter/ Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 May 2016
Management are very co-operative. safety is first and all co-workers are help each other. also get experience in different type of works.
great place to work!! great boss!!!
maintenance / tool crib foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2016
great job! great boss! and awesome people to work with!! it is a large facility with 6 production shops, so there is always something to do,
Pros
the guys i worked with
Cons
i got layed off
Great Opportunity
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 March 2016
Great and dynamic place to work. An ever changing scope of work leads to a very rewarding career. Excellent management team with a great vision for the future. Soon to be the preferred contractor in Western Canada.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Long Hours
Lack of change in order to comply with today's QC standards.
QC Document Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2016
Typical day consisted of major data entry.

I learnt that it's difficult to to get long time employees to change and comply with QC standards.

My manager was excellent, it was difficult to see the challenges he went through fighting with upper management in order to yet again comply with QC standards that were clearly written.

Coworkers were amazing.
Pros
Fairly Flexible, excellent wage
Cons
Unorganized stuck in the 80's
Great team spirit
Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Shop 521 October 2015
Many cultures working together to form a winning result. Good people, good atmosphere, everyone works together as a great team.
Pros
Good People
productive, but poorly managed company
Crane Operator/Foreman (Current Employee) –  edmonton, ab15 September 2015
i am proud to work in the position i am in. and i strive to better my company, but as most large oil and gas company's there is a lack of communication from the ground floor, to the top end.
Good Entry level
Apprentice steamfitter/pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2015
Good place to learn how industry works and offers many apprenticeships. Fun employees and management to work with, lots of knowledge to offer from a company.
Productive workplace with job security and can learn a lot.
Level-2 QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2015
Easy place to get along with all workers. City work, Lots of hours and competitive pay. Lots to learn for apprentices . Management inspire workers for independent work.
Thermo Design Engineering
QA/QC Pressure Vessel Inspector/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2015
One thing's for certain, at Thermo Design you're not just a number. You're a welder/pipe fitter, foreman, supervisor, engineer, labourer and a detective. You're expected to do everything for pennies on the dollar. As a member of the Vessel QC team, I did the work of at least 2 inspectors. At times overseeing QC and production of 30+ pressure vessels. Thermo Design management seems to enjoy making the same mistakes over and over and wonder why they are making less and less money on projects. They spend thousands of dollars in the long run to save $100 initially. I wouldn't have returned to work here if there was another option.
Pros
You gain experience in all trades.
Cons
List too long
people were good
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2015
My typical day at work would be to copy & release drawings for fabrication. I troubleshooted problems (usually on a daily basis). I proofread documents. I organized & filed daily. I photocopied & scanned documents daily. I hand delivered drawings &/or documents per release log. I also assembled & copied project manuals, as well as archived finished projects. I maintained project document lists.

Management was good and most co-workers were helpful.

I didn't find the job hard, I found it challenging & rewarding.
a place to work, not a place to career
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 December 2014
Friendly environment, but difficult to balance work and life unless you know how to play politics