The WORKS Gourmet Burger Bistro Employee Reviews

Great staff
Dishwasher/Line cook (Former Employee) –  downtown guelph4 February 2019
Everyone at the works was very helpful to me given that i had not worked in the food industry before. great place to work if you want to try out working in this field.
Terrible management. Terrible hours
Chef (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 January 2019
They force you to take shifts when u state you are unavailable. Fire the staff before 3 months so they don’t need to pay severance. Super stingy workplace and horrible management. They yell at the employees. STAY AWAY
Pros
Cons
Terrible workplace
Great people, Fast Pace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 November 2018
The employees at the Brampton location are all treated as family. The kitchen staff are provided adequate hours, it is a fast paced environment, that the team makes run smoothly. Easy to learn recipes and kitchen tricks.
Pros
free fries
Culture and Innovation
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 November 2018
Great company to work for, always trying to raise the bar. Makes burgers not only a meal but an experience. Very concerned with the community and always getting involved.
Pros
Great support
Cons
glass ceiling couldn't be broken
Just terrible head office
General Manager (Former Employee) –  St Lawrence Market17 October 2018
WOW!! So happy I don't work and waste my time there anymore!! St Lawrence had some staff that thought they ran the place (over powered supervisors) and the Head Office is full of micro managers to boot. Place was falling apart and infested with mice. So happy that I moved on to a really structured restaurant that has a well run organization behind it.

But, I guess everyone makes mistakes in life....especially when they are essentially lied to during the interview when questions are asked how the culture, work life balance and condition of the equipment/staffing levels/training & performance are. If I received the true answers I would have either not accepted the job OR would have continued to TAKE the job because challenges are healthy and accomplishing.

Burgers are tasty, yet the cleaning of the GRILL is something that has to be done every few hours---not twice/three times a WEEK!!

Take a chance I guess!!??
Pros
Cons
everything
Save yourself
Nada (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 October 2018
This place sucks. Dont work here. Management is horrible. Seemed like a lot of micromanagement and no one seems happy here. Worst place I could have ever worked. Feel like I wasted my time
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Worked here for 3 years, almost four.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 September 2018
Constantly fighting with managers about health and safety. had overtime cut off multiple times, the staff was toxic. worst place i have ever worked and I hope I never have to work in a similar atmosphere
Pros
free food after 5.25 hours SOMETIMES
Cons
dumb shifts. no growth within company, outsourced instead of moving up current employees.
Fun place to work but quick turnover rate
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2018
Over all a very fun place to work and you get to know your coworkers well. The only issue is they can't seem to keep employees because there are constantly employees that are inexperienced and are put on a shift by themselves creating a fair bit of chaos. This resulting in many employees to resign.
Good environment, poor management
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
Great place to work while in school or in between jobs. Not reliable enough to be only source of employment/income. Great atmosphere and people. Very poor management from head office which led to poor management in the workplace. High turnover rate for both staff and management.
Great company,
Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2018
Great company to work for. I learned a lot about keeping guests happy and working in the industry, putting the guest first. The culture is very laid back and easy going. Benefits are fair. A lot was expected of management which made me a better manager.
Pros
Benefits for management, closes at 10/11
Cons
little room for growth
good
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2018
Good training and great management. Loved working here, was very fun, team members were great. Food was awesome so it was very easy to sell and upsell as well
Not enough money
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON12 February 2018
in the world could entice me to work for this company again. The previous corporate owners were terrible and no handle on the business. Which is why they sold it. The hardest part of the job was showing up. The most enjoyable was the end of the day.
Pros
Lifetime supply of grease
Cons
The actual job
The Works
Front of House Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 November 2017
It's a cool place to work at. Staff is great fun to work with. Corp is a bit harder to work with they don't know much about the guests and trying to make all the same but they can't
lack of managment and structure
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2017
this job normally had many great people to work with.
Although a lot of them were rookies to the industry or not very well trained for both front of house and back of house.
They also have a high turn over rate for all positions.
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
communication was lacking
Fun, fast paced
Head Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 September 2017
I have been working at the WORKS Orleans for over seven years. I began my tenure their as a dishwasher when I was fifteen. I have worked hard over the years and have never stopped moving up. Today, I am the lead line cook, and occasionally manage the restaurant. My co-workers are amazing people, and excellent workers.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
12+ hour days
Fun place to work, great people
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 September 2017
I learned leadership skills, great multitasking skills, developed my people skills and learned how to operate a restaurant as a whole. I was given opportunities for advancement in both front and back of house.
Quality ingredients, busy services good hours and good pay.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2017
The Works burger bistro produces high quality food In a family friendly environment, providing a safe and clean equipment and work space for employees.
Pros
Fun and clean environment
Fun environment
Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 August 2017
Great culture, and great staff. Some great managers however general managers are not expected to put in the the work that they take credit for. Very fast environment.
Pros
Free meals, amazing staff
Cons
General Manager
If you like burgers, you'll love The Works
Manager/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 May 2017
A typical day at work includes working with awesome people, being taught by knowledgeable co-workers and welcomed into a great and fun job culture. - Would recommend.
Pros
Some of the best food you'll ever have
Cons
You won't like burgers anywhere else
Fun job
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON8 May 2017
The Works Bistro was a fun place to work. For a first job, the atmosphere and staff made the shifts go by very quickly. Learning about food safety and food preparation and cleaning are valuable experiences for the future.
Pros
Discount on meals
Cons
Cleaning