The WORKS Gourmet Burger Bistro

The WORKS Gourmet Burger Bistro Employee Reviews

Canada59 reviews
Great workplace
Great place to work. If you like to work in a fast pace and enjoyable team environment then this is a great place for you. Meeting a lot of interesting customers everyday.
New manager at the Works in Niagara Falls
New management is very poor. Absolutely loved this job with the old manager. Supervisor is very good. The staff members are a clique and will talk bad about everyone behind their back to other staff and to management (even if it is not true). New manager picks favourites which influences schedule, hours, and job security without getting to know you and your work ethic.
Decent staff. Awful upper management.
Okay place to work! New franchise area manager was difficult to work with. Lots of talking behind backs and not very professional. Work benefits are decent. Lots expected of managers. Be ready to sell your soul.
Speechless.
Manager is obsessed with finances. Once had me scrub the walls behind the dish rack and dishwasher. I naturally threw out the green Brillo pad (well half of one). She took it out of the garbage, yelled at me, then ran it through the dishwasher.
Enough said there.

Never was denied pay, hours weren't horrible. Just make sure the pest guy has been by.
Disorganized
Busy and disorganized ; payment and tips frequently withheld.
Front of house and back of house managerial positions are always open & available for this reason.
Lack of communication
I worked there for 3 months. My job was taken by a FoH manager that got demoted. They chose to let me go over other servers that were hired after me.
I only found out I lost my job during the middle of one of my supervisor shifts. I texted our FoH manager. He got back to me 3 days later. And told me not to come in for the rest of my shifts and that they were covered. The most unprofessional experience ever. The people were okay for the most part. A few were not, it felt like they were constantly offended by everything while be subpar at their job. Definitely play favourites
They will never give you a raise
They are very cheap they have it under staff equipment is always broken they will not pay to have it fixed you are not allowed to take a five-minute break or any break this place was a lot better to work at when the original owners owned it the owners now all they care about is money making a profit they do not care about their employees
I recommend if you like to stand for 8 hours
it's a great place to work I work there for 7 months and then they laid me off because there was lack of hours I would recommend it to for people to work there because they treated me okay but the money should have been more than 14 bucks for what I was doing
Super fun team
Fun team to work with, management is attentive and helpful. The location at Jackson Square gets huge business from local events at the first Ontario centre etc.
Do not recommend
The manager is absolutely awful. She treats people with no respect and enjoys humilating them in front of their peers. Countless times during my employment I was SCREAMED at, degraded, belittled and humiliated by this manager. The management is also not helpful during shifts. Many times servers were running around the restaurant trying to serve, host and bartend all at once while the managers stood and talked to each other. Management expects your life to revolve around this job, like it does for them. Even if you try to set boundaries about your availbility they will be challenged.

The other servers and kitchen staff are absolutely lovely, kind and helpful. The guests are also great. Tips are good as well, but not at all worth the way you get treated by management. A fish rots from the head and the amount of people who quit this job because of the manager reflects that entirely.
Pros
Serving and kitchen staff are wonderful
Cons
Management & their expectations of you
Pay management better
This company only cares about keeping labor costs to a minimum. Which means managers work longer hours preforming more roles and staff are overworked.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No work/ life balance
Okay if you want brief work
Generally no talk will be had but if a certain thing is thought your hour's get cut regardless without consultation for a reason as to why. Management will try to make you feel overpowered talking cooperation and friendly but not truly communicating or caring. They won't care about the reason you're late no matter how much harder you work for it and do more work than other's . If your health is bad they really won't understand so if you get sick ever don't work here. Even if not in your character to be late you will be condemned all the same due to lack of care and willing to dispose of people.
Awesome place to work
This is awesome place to work if someone is hardworking. Nice staff and owner is really humble and understanding. If someone wants to work in fast paced and clean environment this place is best.
Management is terrible. Shifts are unreasonable.
Manager is the worst kind of control freak who can never admit fault and always needs to find fault with others. Should not be in hospitality but she's sleeping with the main man so her word is THE word. They do not schedule appropriately for busy times and do not give servers the tools to do a good job. You have to be server, host, bartender, cleaner and manager all at once no matter how busy. Good tips but the stress isn't worth it. Be firm with your availability right from the start or they will schedule you in the most illogical and unfavourable ways.
Pros
Fellow servers are helpful and kind. Discount on food. good tips.
Cons
Manager is unbearable. Shift schedules are unfair. Stressful.
Job experience
I worked as a cleaner in 2016. I didnt feel very welcome and nobody really talked to me and i felt like i didn't belong. Sometimes they yelled and swore. Didn't feel respectful.
Training
They have more extensive training than any 5 star restaurant when it’s literally a burger hut. My training got cut for not know straw colours or not being trained well enough when I have multiple mental and physical disabilities. So unless you’re ablist I wouldn’t suggest working here.
Pros
Cons
Expectations, reward, money, incompetent training, rude head servers.
Interesting place to work.
The only thing that kept me at this job was the fantastic co-workers and the amazing guests that made me love being in the service industry. I learned how to micromanage myself which I think really benefitted my time management skills.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Overall a decent place to work
The staff was fun, the rush of the work was challenging, and the managment was very friendly and welcoming. Overall a good experience and was a decent summer job for a student.
Great staff
Everyone at the works was very helpful to me given that i had not worked in the food industry before. great place to work if you want to try out working in this field.
Terrible management. Terrible hours
They force you to take shifts when u state you are unavailable. Fire the staff before 3 months so they don’t need to pay severance. Super stingy workplace and horrible management. They yell at the employees. STAY AWAY
Pros
Cons
Terrible workplace
Great people, Fast Pace
The employees at the Brampton location are all treated as family. The kitchen staff are provided adequate hours, it is a fast paced environment, that the team makes run smoothly. Easy to learn recipes and kitchen tricks.
Pros
free fries
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The WORKS Gourmet Burger Bistro. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6