The Wickaninnish Inn

The Wickaninnish Inn Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews

Gorgeous setting, fun team, management needs a change

The Wick is overall a great place to work. In beautiful Tofino, you will be looking at the best sunsets on your evening shifts, step on to the beach after your shift, be surrounded by beauty and nature and be proud to work for one of the best resorts in Canada. The people they hire are overall great. Somehow everyone is super chill, relaxed and loves the Tofino life, YET wants to work hard and with the high service standard the Wick has.They pay pretty well, actually, compared to most hospitality jobs in Canada. The problem is that somehow management does not always see this. They have SUCH great employees and they say it's their most important thing, but it does not feel like it. It's really the senior management, as they have been there forever, so things are done "the Wick way". It often clashes with the fact that they hire educated and experienced people who HAVE actually worked in different places around the world, so might actually have good input. Management is approachable, they are good and kind people, they have a good sense of humor. But the gap between senior management and the rest of the employees is massive. And no matter how many times employees point out the faults or what could be done better - nothing changes. Senior Management is simply not really there and when they are - they micromanage. It can be extremely frustrating. It's a great place to work, but you just have to stop fighting, bite your tongue and let it be what it is, as some things will never change.

Pros

Good pay, good views, great team, lots of fun every day, nice guests, Christmas gala, being on the beach, overnight stay.

Cons

Understaffed often, split days off, sen management think they're royalty and can do no wrong, very low employee retention

30 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and share your experience. We agree, Tofino is beautiful and we are very proud of our team. “The Wick way” has evolved over our 24 years of operation with suggestions for improvement coming directly from our team and from shared experiences, however, not all ideas can be adopted. I am disappointed to hear that you felt your input was not valued and you felt that your suggestions for improvement were not considered. I would be happy to discuss your experience further should you wish to reach out to my by email. I can be reached at melody@wickinn.com

Horrible

Incredibly low wage, 12 hour day, favoritism, staff that pride themselves in getting colleagues removed, ineffective senior management, low benefits,

15 July 2021
Thank you for providing your feedback. Your comments concern me and I would like to speak with you further. Please reach out to me at melody@wickinn.com. Thank you

Amazing place to work.

The people you work with are so amazing. Had a great experience working there. Would go back in a heartbeat. The Wick is an amazing experience. Tofino is amazing.

13 April 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience, we appreciate the feedback. Should you find your way back to Tofino we would love to see you again, even as a guest. Take care.

Use/Abuse

They hired me over the phone, got me to move there, into staff accommodations. Never mentioned I'd be sharing my room with a stranger. Right away, demanded I do extremely high level work, no training or support. The sous chef got weird and hostile when I didn't want to hang out after my first shift. Was demoted 3 days later, given a massive workload to pick up the slack for the chef's buddy. Was terminated without notice at 2 months, 29 days, because I wasn't improving quickly enough. All in all, terrible experience.

Pros

Free bread

Cons

Most workers are Visa wireless, so they treat all employees like slaves

2 April 2021
We appreciate that you took the time to post a review and share your experience. Although we prefer to hire as many local candidates who are already here on the West Coast, the small town nature of Tofino means many are located elsewhere and so naturally we conduct our 2 interview process via telephone, Zoom or Skype. These interviews are designed to also provide our candidates with a tremendous amount of advance information to help ensure the opportunity is a good fit for all concerned. Since opening in 1996, our Staff Housing has been shared, this is an integral part of the interview process, often in both interviews and again when our On Site Contacts reach out prior to arrival, to arrange your arrival time and room assignment. It is disappointing to learn that you feel we expect an extremely high level of work as it is these same standards that have earned us the reputation for exceeding guest exceptions and being recognized as one of the leading hospitality experiences in the country. I am sorry you did not feel you received adequate training or support as developing our team members and constant support is a core value of ours. If you would like to discuss your experience further, I welcome you to email me at melody@wickinn.com. Thank you and although your time with us was short, we wish you success with your future endeavors.

Great Employer Who Supported Hard Workers

I had a great experience working for the Wickaninnish Inn from 2014 to 2016. I spent two years as part of their F&B team- passionate managers, restaurant staff and kitchen team. The days were organized and tasks clear. In restaurants there's daily chaos- but that comes with the territory. I felt supported by both my teams, and the systems in place to protect, promote and engage employees. For me, they created such an exceptional employee experience. The management team and the inn's systems and structures made for a truly wonderful, supportive experience. I look back on my employment at the Wickaninnish Inn, and have to praise the team that created undoubtedly the most rewarding, constructive and supported experience I have ever had as an employee. They uphold great standards, and create great teams. It was my pleasure to be a part of the experience, for however short a time.

Pros

Energetic and passionate team, organized work environment, great tips

Cons

Sometimes a little old-fashioned with service standards

Terrible

Treated like a child who didn’t know anything. Guilt for asking any questions or for assistance. Management doesn’t care about you at all. They are there for money.

16 October 2020
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your employment at the Wickaninnish Inn. It was truly disappointing to read that you felt you were treated like a child and made to feel guilty for requesting assistance. I am very sorry you felt this way as this definitely goes against our Core Values. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally and invite you to contact me directly at melody@wickinn.com at any time should you have additional information you would care share with me.

Work place that cares about teamwork

Team work is an integral part of working here to be able to provide the best experience for the guests. Living and working in a beautiful place of B.C. is amazing. If you like being busy and have an eye for detail this place is great. My only negative review is if you're working with the public at all...then you are to look professional/ conservative so no facial piercings, no visible tattoos that could be offensive, and no unnatural hair colors. If that is okay with you then go for it, people from all over the world stay at the Wick.

Extremely stressful, discouraging

Almost had a mental breakdown working here. You can either be on the good side of management or on the bad side. They dont consider you as humans. After working so hard, efforts were not recognized. They only appreciate people who say yes to everything. Very biased managers, lack of communication and overall management is very demotivating. Very stressful place to work. Would never recommend anyone to work there. I can go on about how bad my experience there was. Thankfully I am done from the wick. Will never return.

Pros

Staff gala every year

Cons

No cafeteria. No perks like other destination rates at other partner hotels.

productive and worth it

This is my first job in Canada, it was a great experience. Started as housekeeper, then accounting administrator and then Housekeeping supervisor. I had the best time here, learned so much in Hospitality Industry.

World Class Establishment

I have truly enjoyed my employment at The Wickaninnish Inn. There was definitely challenging days. Working in hospitality is not for everyone however if you would like a career within this industry The Wickaninnish Inn is the place that will take you there. The hours in the Summer can be very demanding however the shoulder season is the time to recuperate. The management is very patient and willing to help you attain your personal best. I have acquired a variety of skills with their support. The management culture is very positive and accommodating. The Inn offers a variety of benefits over and above extended health. Each employee is encouraged to take advantage of these including overnight stays, spa and restaurant discounts to name a few. The Inn is a front runner in environmental sustainability and decisions are made to respect the beautiful environment that the property is situated in.

Pros

Positive work enviroment, Benefits, Relatable Manangement

Cons

Remote location

The Best

I worked at The Wickaninnish Inn for over 10 years. This place is beautiful and the core staff/management and owners offer constant support and opportunities for learning. The benefits are a huge bonus (medical, dental, discounts, staff housing etc etc) This place is magic! You don’t create magic for guests without putting a little heart into your work 💖

Great Place to Work

Great work environment and management team. A good place to learn and advance your skills. The Inn the located right on the beach, so you are constantly surrounded by beautiful views.

Great experience and workplace

If you want to learn lots about service and food and beverage in general this is the place to be. The management has lots of experience and is generally hands on.

Pros

Great for learning and learning more about food and beverage

Cons

Long hours are expected especially during the busier times

Fantastic, with some conditions

Moving to Tofino was one of the best decisions I made in my young adult life. The Wickaninnish Inn is world famous, and it's easy to see why. It's beautiful on the outside and the inside, located in one of the best places in Canada. That being said, I probably could have found a MUCH less stressful occupation than as a GSR at the Wick. There are several other resorts that manage somehow to offer a high level of professionalism and standards, but retain a healthy moral among staff. Management is very demanding, and somewhat unforgiving of mistakes. Obviously, attention to detail is important, but rather than a policing mentality, perhaps management could consider strategies to improve their meticulous processes. That would be some value added leadership... Long story short, Tofino is a great place to live either temporarily or long term, although it isn't for everyone. I would highly encourage anybody looking at working for the Wick to consider other options just up the road and save themselves some stress. I left before my contract was complete, in order to pursue other opportunities (being paid to kayak). As a result am not eligible to be rehired. And I have yet to lose ANY sleep about that.

Pros

Free snack bread, Beautiful Environment, Rapid Learning, World Famous

Cons

Extremely Demanding, Intense, Stressful, Under-compensated

Horrendous management. No work life balance

Out of touch management who make it very clear that the employees do not matter. From the bottom to the top the wrong person for the job is in many roles. There is no work life balance, do not expect to get to enjoy Tofino while working here.

Pros

Free stay once a year.

Cons

Bad management

My worst job to date.

I worked as a housekeeper for a summer season in 2016. It is an absolutely awful place to work. All the upper management gives you a presentation at orientation patting themselves on the back and boosting their egos. I would work from about 830am to 4pm, then have to come back around 6 for turndown service and not get home til 9 or 10. After receiving a tiny paycheck and seeing I was scheduled for 14 days in a row on the schedule I quit and moved the next day. I was tired ALL the time but still only cleared about $500 every two weeks. After staff accom comes out of your paycheck you're left with nothing, while breaking your back to keep an ungrateful management team happy. The management is truly awful. I'm a hard working employee and they made me feel like I wasn't doing anything fast enough or good enough. Do not waste your time applying here, you won't be able to enjoy the Tofino summer because you'll be working ALL the time.

Pros

You get a free meal at orientation.

Cons

Terrible management who are all on permanent contract, long hours, no days off, unhappy employees, snobby people

A small property with a strong focus on guest happiness

A great place to hone your customer service skills to perfection. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing returning guests smile when they recognize me, and every day has guests arriving that have previously stayed here. The Managing Director/Owner clearly is doing something he loves, managing a world class hotel. His attitude flows throughout the hotel and is a key ingredient in the inn's success. The hardest part of being a valet here are the times when I am waiting for someone to assist.

Pros

a lot of support and encouragement from all levels of management

Cons

no onsite option to buy meals while on duty

fun place to work

great place to learn and advancemanagement good to the staffright on Chesterman Beach in Tofinogreat place to work along side a variety of cultures

Pros

management good to staff

Cons

remote area

minimum wage

Canada has low wages, for hard work. The job was quite demanding at times. The management had been there for quite some time and were stuck in their way, not open to learning new ideas/skills.

Audit

Its busy, demanding and very caddy. If your not the most popular person you will not get much in the way of motivation or respect. For the money generally look elsewhere unless you are a hotelier, then it is a great opportunity.

Pros

great medical and dental plan

Cons

too many for a blurb

Very Professional and fun

-Tourism and Hospitality in an epic setting. -Loved the smell of the ocean and scenery everyday - impressed with every aspect of the town and the small town feel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Wickaninnish Inn. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9