The Wickaninnish Inn

The Wickaninnish Inn Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
The Wick is overall a great place to work. In beautiful Tofino, you will be looking at the best sunsets on your evening shifts, step on to the beach after your shift, be surrounded by beauty and nature and be proud to work for one of the best resorts in Canada. The people they hire are overall great. Somehow everyone is super chill, relaxed and loves the Tofino life, YET wants to work hard and with the high service standard the Wick has.They pay pretty well, actually, compared to most hospitality jobs in Canada.
The problem is that somehow management does not always see this. They have SUCH great employees and they say it's their most important thing, but it does not feel like it. It's really the senior management, as they have been there forever, so things are done "the Wick way". It often clashes with the fact that they hire educated and experienced people who HAVE actually worked in different places around the world, so might actually have good input.

Management is approachable, they are good and kind people, they have a good sense of humor. But the gap between senior management and the rest of the employees is massive. And no matter how many times employees point out the faults or what could be done better - nothing changes. Senior Management is simply not really there and when they are - they micromanage. It can be extremely frustrating.

It's a great place to work, but you just have to stop fighting, bite your tongue and let it be what it is, as some things will never change.
Pros
Good pay, good views, great team, lots of fun every day, nice guests, Christmas gala, being on the beach, overnight stay.
Cons
Understaffed often, split days off, sen management think they're royalty and can do no wrong, very low employee retention
Treated like a child who didn’t know anything. Guilt for asking any questions or for assistance. Management doesn’t care about you at all. They are there for money.
Team work is an integral part of working here to be able to provide the best experience for the guests. Living and working in a beautiful place of B.C. is amazing. If you like being busy and have an eye for detail this place is great. My only negative review is if you're working with the public at all...then you are to look professional/ conservative so no facial piercings, no visible tattoos that could be offensive, and no unnatural hair colors. If that is okay with you then go for it, people from all over the world stay at the Wick.
Almost had a mental breakdown working here. You can either be on the good side of management or on the bad side. They dont consider you as humans. After working so hard, efforts were not recognized. They only appreciate people who say yes to everything. Very biased managers, lack of communication and overall management is very demotivating. Very stressful place to work. Would never recommend anyone to work there. I can go on about how bad my experience there was. Thankfully I am done from the wick. Will never return.
Pros
Staff gala every year
Cons
No cafeteria. No perks like other destination rates at other partner hotels.
This is my first job in Canada, it was a great experience. Started as housekeeper, then accounting administrator and then Housekeeping supervisor. I had the best time here, learned so much in Hospitality Industry.
I have truly enjoyed my employment at The Wickaninnish Inn. There was definitely challenging days. Working in hospitality is not for everyone however if you would like a career within this industry The Wickaninnish Inn is the place that will take you there. The hours in the Summer can be very demanding however the shoulder season is the time to recuperate. The management is very patient and willing to help you attain your personal best. I have acquired a variety of skills with their support. The management culture is very positive and accommodating. The Inn offers a variety of benefits over and above extended health. Each employee is encouraged to take advantage of these including overnight stays, spa and restaurant discounts to name a few. The Inn is a front runner in environmental sustainability and decisions are made to respect the beautiful environment that the property is situated in.
Pros
Positive work enviroment, Benefits, Relatable Manangement
Cons
Remote location
I worked at The Wickaninnish Inn for over 10 years. This place is beautiful and the core staff/management and owners offer constant support and opportunities for learning. The benefits are a huge bonus (medical, dental, discounts, staff housing etc etc)

This place is magic! You don’t create magic for guests without putting a little heart into your work 💖
Great work environment and management team. A good place to learn and advance your skills. The Inn the located right on the beach, so you are constantly surrounded by beautiful views.
If you want to learn lots about service and food and beverage in general this is the place to be. The management has lots of experience and is generally hands on.
Pros
Great for learning and learning more about food and beverage
Cons
Long hours are expected especially during the busier times
Moving to Tofino was one of the best decisions I made in my young adult life. The Wickaninnish Inn is world famous, and it's easy to see why. It's beautiful on the outside and the inside, located in one of the best places in Canada.

That being said, I probably could have found a MUCH less stressful occupation than as a GSR at the Wick. There are several other resorts that manage somehow to offer a high level of professionalism and standards, but retain a healthy moral among staff.

Management is very demanding, and somewhat unforgiving of mistakes. Obviously, attention to detail is important, but rather than a policing mentality, perhaps management could consider strategies to improve their meticulous processes. That would be some value added leadership...

Long story short, Tofino is a great place to live either temporarily or long term, although it isn't for everyone. I would highly encourage anybody looking at working for the Wick to consider other options just up the road and save themselves some stress.

I left before my contract was complete, in order to pursue other opportunities (being paid to kayak). As a result am not eligible to be rehired. And I have yet to lose ANY sleep about that.
Pros
Free snack bread, Beautiful Environment, Rapid Learning, World Famous
Cons
Extremely Demanding, Intense, Stressful, Under-compensated
Out of touch management who make it very clear that the employees do not matter. From the bottom to the top the wrong person for the job is in many roles. There is no work life balance, do not expect to get to enjoy Tofino while working here.
Pros
Free stay once a year.
Cons
Bad management
I worked as a housekeeper for a summer season in 2016. It is an absolutely awful place to work. All the upper management gives you a presentation at orientation patting themselves on the back and boosting their egos. I would work from about 830am to 4pm, then have to come back around 6 for turndown service and not get home til 9 or 10. After receiving a tiny paycheck and seeing I was scheduled for 14 days in a row on the schedule I quit and moved the next day. I was tired ALL the time but still only cleared about $500 every two weeks. After staff accom comes out of your paycheck you're left with nothing, while breaking your back to keep an ungrateful management team happy. The management is truly awful. I'm a hard working employee and they made me feel like I wasn't doing anything fast enough or good enough. Do not waste your time applying here, you won't be able to enjoy the Tofino summer because you'll be working ALL the time.
Pros
You get a free meal at orientation.
Cons
Terrible management who are all on permanent contract, long hours, no days off, unhappy employees, snobby people
A great place to hone your customer service skills to perfection. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing returning guests smile when they recognize me, and every day has guests arriving that have previously stayed here. The Managing Director/Owner clearly is doing something he loves, managing a world class hotel. His attitude flows throughout the hotel and is a key ingredient in the inn's success. The hardest part of being a valet here are the times when I am waiting for someone to assist.
Pros
a lot of support and encouragement from all levels of management
Cons
no onsite option to buy meals while on duty
great place to learn and advance
management good to the staff

right on Chesterman Beach in Tofino

great place to work along side a variety of cultures
Pros
management good to staff
Cons
remote area
Canada has low wages, for hard work. The job was quite demanding at times. The management had been there for quite some time and were stuck in their way, not open to learning new ideas/skills.
Its busy, demanding and very caddy. If your not the most popular person you will not get much in the way of motivation or respect.
For the money generally look elsewhere unless you are a hotelier, then it is a great opportunity.
Pros
great medical and dental plan
Cons
too many for a blurb
-Tourism and Hospitality in an epic setting.
-Loved the smell of the ocean and scenery everyday

- impressed with every aspect of the town and the small town feel
Long hours 10-14 hours days, 5-6 days a week (longer hours in the summer), little to no breaks (kitchen life). Work gets to feel like a grind during the summer when you spend almost the same amount of time at work as outside of work.

Management is nice enough, but they need you to be at your best always or you get in their bad books.

Everyone there is passionate about food and does it for the job, not the money. It is not a place to get a job for the sake of having a job, or be their to surf.

They make you sign a 1 year contract minimum or you won't get a reference, but finding a place to live in town is hard to impossible. Most rentals open up only between October and May, and turn into AirBnB rentals during the summer and you're out of luck.
Pros
Learn a lot about food and cooking
Cons
Long hours, demanding position, minimal space to find homes in town.
Hours are okay. Pay is a little more than elsewhere in town, but...
Don't have an opinion on anything!

Don't make suggestions!

Don't ask for days off!

Don't be sick!

Don't go to HR with problems! That's not what they're there for.

I had a terrible experience working here. The staff are never happy. Everybody is always in a bad mood. The manager can not manage employees at all. Doesn't seem to have many people skills. The way she spoke to us was absolutely ridiculous. Schedule changes 2-3 times a week. Can't plan anything except for work. And heaven forbid you need a day off for a good reason. Not happening. We are treated like disposable people yet expected to bend over backwards for them. This place is bad for your mental health!
Pros
Okay pay, some discounts, yearly one night stay
Cons
Poor management, depressing environment, constant schedule changes
As a restaurant server you are expected to work 10 hours a day 6 days a week in the summer. Management is unpleasant and always condescending. You are paid a terrible wage and required to buy your own uniform. No perks of working at this place. They don't offer adequate training and management does not lead by example. There are way better places to work in Tofino. Don't be fooled by there supposed high standards.
Cons
Terrible wage, long hours
Tofino lifestyle is great
Wealth of information from the staff

Great management

Fun co-workers

Winter is slower save money for, or travel in the off season

Amazing view
Pros
Good benefits
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Wickaninnish Inn. Our community is ready to answer.
The Wickaninnish Inn Reviews by Location