The Wickaninnish Inn Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
fun place to work
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC21 March 2018
great place to learn and advance
management good to the staff
right on Chesterman Beach in Tofino
great place to work along side a variety of cultures
Pros
management good to staff
Cons
remote area
Audit
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC26 January 2018
Its busy, demanding and very caddy. If your not the most popular person you will not get much in the way of motivation or respect.
For the money generally look elsewhere unless you are a hotelier, then it is a great opportunity.
Pros
great medical and dental plan
Cons
too many for a blurb
Very Professional and fun
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC23 January 2018
-Tourism and Hospitality in an epic setting.
-Loved the smell of the ocean and scenery everyday
- impressed with every aspect of the town and the small town feel
Hard job but you will learn a lot working their
Senior Cook (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC15 December 2017
Long hours 10-14 hours days, 5-6 days a week (longer hours in the summer), little to no breaks (kitchen life). Work gets to feel like a grind during the summer when you spend almost the same amount of time at work as outside of work.

Management is nice enough, but they need you to be at your best always or you get in their bad books.

Everyone there is passionate about food and does it for the job, not the money. It is not a place to get a job for the sake of having a job, or be their to surf.

They make you sign a 1 year contract minimum or you won't get a reference, but finding a place to live in town is hard to impossible. Most rentals open up only between October and May, and turn into AirBnB rentals during the summer and you're out of luck.
Pros
Learn a lot about food and cooking
Cons
Long hours, demanding position, minimal space to find homes in town.
Unpleasant Environment with Terrible Management
Room Attendant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC3 April 2017
Hours are okay. Pay is a little more than elsewhere in town, but...
Don't have an opinion on anything!
Don't make suggestions!
Don't ask for days off!
Don't be sick!
Don't go to HR with problems! That's not what they're there for.

I had a terrible experience working here. The staff are never happy. Everybody is always in a bad mood. The manager can not manage employees at all. Doesn't seem to have many people skills. The way she spoke to us was absolutely ridiculous. Schedule changes 2-3 times a week. Can't plan anything except for work. And heaven forbid you need a day off for a good reason. Not happening. We are treated like disposable people yet expected to bend over backwards for them. This place is bad for your mental health!
Pros
Okay pay, some discounts, yearly one night stay
Cons
Poor management, depressing environment, constant schedule changes
Slave labour
Restaurant Server (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC27 August 2016
As a restaurant server you are expected to work 10 hours a day 6 days a week in the summer. Management is unpleasant and always condescending. You are paid a terrible wage and required to buy your own uniform. No perks of working at this place. They don't offer adequate training and management does not lead by example. There are way better places to work in Tofino. Don't be fooled by there supposed high standards.
Cons
Terrible wage, long hours
Some of the best
Maitre d' / Bartender (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC14 December 2015
Tofino lifestyle is great
Wealth of information from the staff
Great management
Fun co-workers
Winter is slower save money for, or travel in the off season
Amazing view
Pros
Good benefits
I've been in a "family" team.
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC15 May 2015
We are working 6 to 7 hours a day and 5 to 6 days a week in the whole year. Our team are very dedicated in our job to give our company an excellent feedback from our beloved guests. All things catered for here anything you need we make sure we taking care of it. I learned how to work in a team and how to acknowledge everyones' ideas and their unique personality. Each person in our management is a very good leader, even the owner of the inn was my friend. They are all down-to-earth people. If we commit mistakes they're like giving us parenting. Same as my co-workers they are absolutely friendly and helpful. We respect each others personality, tradition and beliefs. I can say summer time was the hardest part of our job. We normally have 6 to 10 days straight before we take our one day off. But that was totally fine because they pay us per hour. MONEY MONEY MONEY! Summer was the most enjoyable part of our job as well, because we love to work despite of a very busy day.
Pros
Free one night stay at the Inn every year, 50% discount in their restaurant, cafe and spa.
Cons
Centralize tippings
its a fun work place specially the kitchen department
Steward (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC13 February 2015
Typical day of work is the day that we are doing job well creating or giving some ideas how to improved our work.

I learned a lots of things in my work place specially when it comes to cleaning of equipment.

About the management of the Wickaninnish Inn they are very helpful for their staff.

Being one of the staff I always think about the positive sides, I think and I learned to be more patience w/ my co workers. I am also giving some advice which is necessary by helping or to built some idea.

The hardest part of the job that I encounter is the summer time we all known that summer are so busy specially here in our place.

The most enjoyable part of the job is if we finish our duty well and no any other complain to each other or even with the guest and the most important is when the summer ends.
Pros
free food
Cons
normal hours
Good place to gain experience
Guest Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tofino, BC29 September 2014
Its a high end resort therefore high quality standards expected.
Location is great
productive fun work environment
Receptionist/Room Service (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC30 April 2013
responsible for cleaning rooms in a timley manner, aiding others after I completed my assigned rooms. Great people to work with beautiful location. very much enjoyed this job.
Pros
got tips
Cons
loved everything
excellent
Housekeeping Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tofino,BC Canada12 August 2012
Very good management but some manager need more learning how to deal with some housekeeper at the hotel.Need more rules and regulation or policy as manager.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
follow some contract for complete 8 hours a day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Wickaninnish Inn. Our community is ready to answer.

The Wickaninnish Inn Reviews by Location