The Vancouver Club

The Vancouver Club Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
organize company, good people for work. nice environment. everyday learning, competitive salary with benefits. possibilities for personal growth, multiple options to work, achieve good experience for the future.
Lots of events - social ; wedding about 60 times a year
Learn a lot about wine & beverages

Most of times short staffed with lots to do - will have to be really organized

Always something new happening
After having worked in the restaurant industry for 6 years, as well as managing two kitchen within Vancouver, I can honestly say this place was an absolute joke. My friend who had been working there for 6 years had recommended I come in for a job. I got a phone call from a guy, can't remember his name, who worked in HR and asked if I could work for free as a trial shift. I agreed and came in the next day. When I showed up, he looked me up and down like I already wasn't good enough for his precious Vancouver Club. He told me he used to work in the kitchen, it was the best kitchen to work in in Vancouver and that this was the only kitchen in all of Vancouver where you would never work more then 8 hours. He then took me downstairs and asked me where my chef pants, shirt, knives and lock was for my locker. I told him he didn't tell me to bring any of that stuff, so he lent me some hand me downs found in the locker room. I was taken to the brand new pristine upstairs kitchen, where I was teamed up with another kitchen employee where I chopped vegetables for about 3 hours. I asked him how long an average shift is, he told me about 10-12 hours. He also told me they don't get paid any overtime or tip outs from the FOH. There were also several other people working for free as trial shifts. All the other kitchen staff were extremely rude and would barely acknowledge me. I was then taken to the downstairs kitchen, which looked as if it were falling apart, where mt friend was working where I chopped more vegetables. After around 5 hours of being there, chopping vegetables, I - more...
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Wasting your life on a company that takes advantage of you.
My experience at the Vancouver Club was one of the best experiences I've had working in the industry. The pastry team treats each other like family, which helps to foster a safe and respectful work environment, and in turn, allows for efficient and high-quality product output.
The Club is a fast paced, stressful place to work, but it's also really fun and competitive. I came to the club needing a job that paid the bills, not a career. That's what made it difficult, hospitality was not my passion or career and they could sense that. There is plenty of competition from the "career servers" and even on the front desk. Often times those ambitious people will step over you to get to the top
Management and HR rarely resolve problems if you have some problems with senior employees. Senior employees usually mock and yell at new hired if they want to do something differently. There is no empowerment.
The vancouver club provides a welcoming environment to people who seek experience in the hospitality industry. They provide premium training and benefits. Compensation are reasonable and benefits surpasses industry average. Expected to be working under stress and with time constrains. It often require quick decision making skills and good interpersonal skills
i think The Vnacouver Club is an exclusive and amazing place to work. In this place i have met very good co workers who care about me and nice club members
This is a really good place to work. Although I work in there just two months,but learn a lot from them. Every staff and manages working in there is very good, they are helpful,enthusiasm. I really like the place because it makes me feel like home.
- following my routine schedule at work
- discipline, organisation, team work

- management very helpful and cooperative

- my co-workers great team, team work, great communication

- the hardest part was in such a busy place keeping speed at the same level all the time

- the most enjoyable part was having lovely communication with customers and their satisfaction with my work
Pros
free travel pass
Cons
late finish work
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Vancouver Club?
You have to pay for parking, and it is in downtown so it takes quite a long time to go there. Employees are kind to each another. The menu always changes every 2 weeks.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not enough hours to work
Snobby rich people will treat you like dirt under a rug if you decide to work for the company "Designing Memorable Hospitality" (based in the Vancouver Club.)
Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it.

You WILL regret it.
A typical day would consist of first reporting the Sous Chef for delegation of tasks for the day. Duties would include items such as setting up and filling up any banquet and buffets needed, preparation of various platters, grilling, butchery, assistance with various hot menu items, assisting with private and smaller catered events.

The importance of time management and speed, without compromising the end product was what I took away from working during the holidays at the Vancouver Club.

Management and my co-workers were very encouraging and helpful at all times. They were very open and approachable, which made for a very pleasant work environment.
Pros
Concise direction
Cons
short work contract
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vancouver Club. Our community is ready to answer.
The Vancouver Club Reviews by Location