The University of Northern British Columbia

The University of Northern British Columbia Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews

peoplegoodworkingworkgreatjobtimetypical

Unbc lab

Flexible schedule and no commute issues as work as on campus. Interview straight forward and process quick. Very laid back and easy to get through the day quickly.

Shift Engineer

Family oriented group, beautiful benefits, wages for power engineers could be better. Shift engineer group is cohesive team with the same goals. No bosses around , everyone is involved is everything and that mindset make the job easier for everybody

Insights into The University of Northern British Columbia

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Beautiful location, but very slow moving.

This was a beautiful place to work, the campus is gorgeous and the atmosphere is great. The downsides of working here have to do with the management and with the bureaucracy of everything. Like most other positions, it was assumed there would be a natural progression with the role, however making any progress towards both financial compensation and position advancement seemed impossible. On top of that, most of the positions outside of faculty members are compensated much lower than comparable positions elsewhere.

Engaging and friendly place

It is a great place. People are Helpful. Staff is Very cooperative.The students are intelligent.People are friendly in general.It is located in Northern BC. Nice location

Good work experience, lots of learning, a bit underpaid

The training at this job was "okay" - you kind of just learn on the job as you go, which can take a full year to fully learn everything, as different seasons bring in different requests. The workplace culture was good for the most part when I worked there. My supervisor at the time was amazing, but sadly he eventually left. The job is cyclical; there are times when you are working endlessly, juggling between students coming in, phone calls, emails, mail, and paperwork, due to high demand; and then there are other times during the slow season when there isn't enough to do and you are left finding something to work on. This job involves knowing the ins and out of the university, as they are the first point of contact and have to liaise between a bunch of different departments. I believe this job is a bit underpaid for what they do, but only people in the Registrar's Office, or those who have worked in this position, know that it is not that easy and that they can be underappreciated. Since it is a union-based company (besides management), it is hard to move up the corporate ladder because employers are inclined to hire internally and based on seniority, even if the other candidates are more qualified or have better accreditations.

Pros

Supportive coworkers, friendly, benefits

Cons

Underpaid, hard to move up

Toxic work culture

Depending on the department your in, it's super cliquy. Employees will talk down on the University openly but don't get punished, and they bully other employees. Pays great, but there is no accountability for getting your work done.

Great work place

The facility is beautiful and the staff are all friendly and encouraging. At times the work can be fast paced during peak times of the school year, however most of the time it is a great place to work.

A great to move technology forward

The pace is a typical university, relaxed no sense of urgency. IT was more fast paced, able to experiment with technology to improve business process.

Pros

Good team dynmaics

Cons

office politics

Ok

Management in my department was on the buddy system. Hire friends or like minded people no matter what their qualifications are. Mostly not people minded, to both the public and subordinates. Also managing areas they are not qualified to work in. Unfortunate when employees have to have top qualifications.

Good Starting point

Good place to work at initially in your career. Lots of opportunities to change teams and progress. Packages are good for entry level positions and not very stressful

You get to work for very "Intelligent" people

My main issue with this institution stems from problems with CUPE. When you sit on the same collective as administrative support, do not expect any bones thrown your way working for utility. Like many other CUPE/Government you will see many cases of favoritism. As a safety standpoint, my chief engineer had us cleaning boiler tubes with the machine still running. He issued us FRC coveralls and refused to pay for proper thermal protection. In the event the ID fan quit during cleaning we'd be killed but because the director didn't know anything about boilers she was completely ok with this practice. The campus is rather large so you definitely get your steps in during rounds.

amazing staff wonderful families

The director is very kind and understanding. The philosophy is play based and very inclusive.

Fun and fast working experience but they did not follow what they told me at the beginning

Fun and fast working experience .... they tried to move to my hours but at the beginning they said that the hours would work around my classes. Toward the end they tried to call me in when I had a class time.

Pros

Free soda

Cons

No job security

Its a good university

A nice place to study and work with friendly people. A source of good research programs and other courses. Very suitable for international students and their needs.

Product

I attend classes and during my Office hour, I meet with my students to help them in areas of the course they find difficult. I learned to be patient with people. The culture was what I looked forward to. The hardest part of the job is that one has to be knowledgeable in almost all areas of the field. I enjoy sharing and learning new things from students

Pros

Learn from students

Cons

Challenging

Productive and fun experience to work with kids

A typical day was starting at 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Outside activities would start off the day. 4-5 science experiments each day. The hardest part of the job was looking over 20-25 kids every day and not being able to take your eyes off. This job put a lot of responsibility on the instructors. The most enjoyable which is a pro to this job was to work with kids and to be able to put a smile on them and influence them to enjoy to learn and pursue an education in science in the future. After the summer, hearing your name being when a camper of yours recognizes you is always a great feeling.

Pros

Being able to influence kids

Cons

Not given breaks as we would always be watching over the kids

typical day includes keeping the building secured, setting up VC/AV for conferencing calls, opening classrooms for staff and students, and when everything is taken care of, you are able to study. Friendly work environment.

Teaching Assistant work rewarding

I was a teaching and research assistant at UNBC. The conditions as a TA are usually good but it does depend on who you end up working for. However, I highly advise getting research and teaching experience. You do get to make a difference in helping students succeed academically which was great.

Pros

Interesting work, flexibility

Cons

Uncertainty about work on a term by term basis

Good working environment that provides avenue for professional development

• Ensured that program and course curricula are current, relevant and reflective of best practices within the professional/program disciplines. • Participates in advisory activities; leads the School's outreach at trade shows and other recruitment events; ensuring marketing materials are current. • Creates an effective environment for learning which accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and individual learning styles. • Designed an appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and assessing student learning that are invitational and reflective of best practices in teaching and learning.

Pros

Good work environment

Cons

Very pleasant people

Field work as a research assistant

I was helping my friend get his masters degree so it was a really fun summer. It was mostly just the two of us working with occasional supervision by a couple of professors.

Pros

Really fun, rewarding experience

Cons

Mosquito bites

Great place to work. Great benefits and work life balance.

Enjoyed my 13 years at UNBC. Many opportunities for advancement. Good culture of philanthropy and student life. Great pension and health benefits. Good people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Northern British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement