The University of Northern British Columbia Employee Reviews

Fun and fast working experience but they did not follow what they told me at the beginning
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC, Canada20 April 2019
Fun and fast working experience .... they tried to move to my hours but at the beginning they said that the hours would work around my classes. Toward the end they tried to call me in when I had a class time.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
No job security
Its a good university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC21 January 2019
A nice place to study and work with friendly people. A source of good research programs and other courses. Very suitable for international students and their needs.
Product
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 June 2018
I attend classes and during my Office hour, I meet with my students to help them in areas of the course they find difficult. I learned to be patient with people. The culture was what I looked forward to. The hardest part of the job is that one has to be knowledgeable in almost all areas of the field. I enjoy sharing and learning new things from students
Pros
Learn from students
Cons
Challenging
Productive and fun experience to work with kids
UNBC Instructor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC2 April 2018
A typical day was starting at 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Outside activities would start off the day. 4-5 science experiments each day. The hardest part of the job was looking over 20-25 kids every day and not being able to take your eyes off. This job put a lot of responsibility on the instructors. The most enjoyable which is a pro to this job was to work with kids and to be able to put a smile on them and influence them to enjoy to learn and pursue an education in science in the future. After the summer, hearing your name being when a camper of yours recognizes you is always a great feeling.
Pros
Being able to influence kids
Cons
Not given breaks as we would always be watching over the kids
Terrace - Student Assist (Current Employee) –  Terrace, BC1 April 2018
typical day includes keeping the building secured, setting up VC/AV for conferencing calls, opening classrooms for staff and students, and when everything is taken care of, you are able to study. Friendly work environment.
Teaching Assistant work rewarding
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC24 January 2018
I was a teaching and research assistant at UNBC. The conditions as a TA are usually good but it does depend on who you end up working for. However, I highly advise getting research and teaching experience. You do get to make a difference in helping students succeed academically which was great.
Pros
Interesting work, flexibility
Cons
Uncertainty about work on a term by term basis
Good working environment that provides avenue for professional development
Assistant Professor, Finance - School of Business (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC28 November 2017
• Ensured that program and course curricula are current, relevant and reflective of best practices within the professional/program disciplines.
• Participates in advisory activities; leads the School's outreach at trade shows and other recruitment events; ensuring marketing materials are current.
• Creates an effective environment for learning which accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and individual learning styles.
• Designed an appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and assessing student learning that are invitational and reflective of best practices in teaching and learning.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Very pleasant people
Field work as a research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 October 2017
I was helping my friend get his masters degree so it was a really fun summer. It was mostly just the two of us working with occasional supervision by a couple of professors.
Pros
Really fun, rewarding experience
Cons
Mosquito bites
Great place to work. Great benefits and work life balance.
Administrator - Development Awards (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC11 September 2017
Enjoyed my 13 years at UNBC. Many opportunities for advancement. Good culture of philanthropy and student life. Great pension and health benefits. Good people.
Excellent environment and culture
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC14 July 2017
People are very nice and always willing to help you. The working environment is pretty international. I like to meet people with different culture background.
Beautiful Campus, Friendly people
Application Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 June 2017
Nice physical environment to work in and excellent benefits. Have always been given the time between Christmas and New Years off with pay. Gotta like that! Could use better strategic direction from senior management
High paced workplace, constantly busy
Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB26 May 2017
Working in the media department was a good experience, but I am looking to expand my field of knowledge to better prepare myself for future endeavors.
Productive and fun workplace
UNBC Production Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC28 April 2017
Productive and fun workplace where everyone is a strong team member. Management is very supportive and helpful and everyone contributed to the production of the games, whether you were managing the broadcast or a film crew member, everyone enjoyed working together.

The job is very flexible with schooling as the Basketball games were every weekend. The typical weekend was 12hrs of work which included the setup of the equipment, the production time, and the take down of equipment. The most difficult part of the job for me personally, was having to deal with complicated programs for televising games and making sure that the stream was continually running at a minimum of 40fps in at-least 720p HD.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Low Pay
It was a good place to start out learning about the cleaning industrie
Janitor, Sodexo (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC2 February 2017
My typical day of work consumed of sweeping and mopping and cleaning the classrooms and professors offices. The supervisor was really good and easy to deal with. i enjoyed working there along side the staff and individually.
Benefits
Cons
Wage
Beautiful Campus in an Idyllic Setting
Application Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC13 January 2017
Great people with a pioneering spirit where the most productive meetings are the impromptu ones that happen in the hallways.
Pros
Presidents Discretionary Days off at Christmas
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement
Relaxed work environment with lots of support
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC9 January 2017
For an undergrad research position, it was great! Lots of support provided as well as a spacious office with a window. Also got to choose my own hours which was nice!
Productive and fun place to work in.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC14 May 2016
The University allows you to have a good salary to satisfy your needs as undergraduate student and also encourages you to become a more professional person.
Pros
Fun activities with students
Cons
I never worked with UNBC directly
Research/Lab technician (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC2 May 2016
I worked for a proffesor within the environmental department. I did not work for the University directly. I worked within the labs underneath a PHD supervisor and not within one of the HR or other resource departments.
Extremely supportive and fun coworkers
Casual Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC9 September 2015
I worked many different jobs while attending University of Northern British Columbia. I mostly worked at the campus itself and met many great people that cared deeply about the work that they perform and their fellow coworkers. I was honored to be considered one of the team.
My most rewarding job at the University was as the Dome Greenhouse Manager. The skills I learned from the opportunity will stay with me for the rest of my life.
Good research team
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC17 December 2014
It was so good to stay in this research team. The best thing is to become a real researcher and got a nice insight of scientific research method.