The University of Northern British Columbia

The University of Northern British Columbia Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
The facility is beautiful and the staff are all friendly and encouraging. At times the work can be fast paced during peak times of the school year, however most of the time it is a great place to work.
Depending on the department your in, it's super cliquy. Employees will talk down on the University openly but don't get punished, and they bully other employees.

Pays great, but there is no accountability for getting your work done.
The pace is a typical university, relaxed no sense of urgency. IT was more fast paced, able to experiment with technology to improve business process.
Pros
Good team dynmaics
Cons
office politics
Management in my department was on the buddy system. Hire friends or like minded people no matter what their qualifications are. Mostly not people minded, to both the public and subordinates. Also managing areas they are not qualified to work in. Unfortunate when employees have to have top qualifications.
Good place to work at initially in your career. Lots of opportunities to change teams and progress. Packages are good for entry level positions and not very stressful
My main issue with this institution stems from problems with CUPE. When you sit on the same collective as administrative support, do not expect any bones thrown your way working for utility. Like many other CUPE/Government you will see many cases of favoritism. As a safety standpoint, my chief engineer had us cleaning boiler tubes with the machine still running. He issued us FRC coveralls and refused to pay for proper thermal protection. In the event the ID fan quit during cleaning we'd be killed but because the director didn't know anything about boilers she was completely ok with this practice.

The campus is rather large so you definitely get your steps in during rounds.
The director is very kind and understanding. The philosophy is play based and very inclusive.
Fun and fast working experience .... they tried to move to my hours but at the beginning they said that the hours would work around my classes. Toward the end they tried to call me in when I had a class time.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
No job security
A nice place to study and work with friendly people. A source of good research programs and other courses. Very suitable for international students and their needs.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The University of Northern British Columbia?
I attend classes and during my Office hour, I meet with my students to help them in areas of the course they find difficult. I learned to be patient with people. The culture was what I looked forward to. The hardest part of the job is that one has to be knowledgeable in almost all areas of the field. I enjoy sharing and learning new things from students
Pros
Learn from students
Cons
Challenging
A typical day was starting at 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Outside activities would start off the day. 4-5 science experiments each day. The hardest part of the job was looking over 20-25 kids every day and not being able to take your eyes off. This job put a lot of responsibility on the instructors. The most enjoyable which is a pro to this job was to work with kids and to be able to put a smile on them and influence them to enjoy to learn and pursue an education in science in the future. After the summer, hearing your name being when a camper of yours recognizes you is always a great feeling.
Pros
Being able to influence kids
Cons
Not given breaks as we would always be watching over the kids
typical day includes keeping the building secured, setting up VC/AV for conferencing calls, opening classrooms for staff and students, and when everything is taken care of, you are able to study. Friendly work environment.
I was a teaching and research assistant at UNBC. The conditions as a TA are usually good but it does depend on who you end up working for. However, I highly advise getting research and teaching experience. You do get to make a difference in helping students succeed academically which was great.
Pros
Interesting work, flexibility
Cons
Uncertainty about work on a term by term basis
• Ensured that program and course curricula are current, relevant and reflective of best practices within the professional/program disciplines.
• Participates in advisory activities; leads the School's outreach at trade shows and other recruitment events; ensuring marketing materials are current.

• Creates an effective environment for learning which accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and individual learning styles.

• Designed an appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and assessing student learning that are invitational and reflective of best practices in teaching and learning.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Very pleasant people
I was helping my friend get his masters degree so it was a really fun summer. It was mostly just the two of us working with occasional supervision by a couple of professors.
Pros
Really fun, rewarding experience
Cons
Mosquito bites
Enjoyed my 13 years at UNBC. Many opportunities for advancement. Good culture of philanthropy and student life. Great pension and health benefits. Good people.
People are very nice and always willing to help you. The working environment is pretty international. I like to meet people with different culture background.
Nice physical environment to work in and excellent benefits. Have always been given the time between Christmas and New Years off with pay. Gotta like that! Could use better strategic direction from senior management
Working in the media department was a good experience, but I am looking to expand my field of knowledge to better prepare myself for future endeavors.
Productive and fun workplace where everyone is a strong team member. Management is very supportive and helpful and everyone contributed to the production of the games, whether you were managing the broadcast or a film crew member, everyone enjoyed working together.

The job is very flexible with schooling as the Basketball games were every weekend. The typical weekend was 12hrs of work which included the setup of the equipment, the production time, and the take down of equipment. The most difficult part of the job for me personally, was having to deal with complicated programs for televising games and making sure that the stream was continually running at a minimum of 40fps in at-least 720p HD.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Low Pay
My typical day of work consumed of sweeping and mopping and cleaning the classrooms and professors offices. The supervisor was really good and easy to deal with. i enjoyed working there along side the staff and individually.
Benefits
Cons
Wage