The Universal Group

The Universal Group Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews

Easy to move up in the company/Make more money

I was able to jump up from 21.50 to 27.50 in my first year of being a flagger by doing the LCT course through Valley, it was alot of information but you really learn by doing the setups and they're always available to talk too if you had any questions about setups and what was needed.

Pros

Ability to move up quickly

Cons

Long hours, work/life balance isnt really there if you wanna make really good money

Great team, love coming to work.

Great atmosphere, constant upgrading, continual room for advancement , constant company growth, a real sense of family, upper management is very hands on and in constant communication.

Pros

Food trucks/special events

Cons

lack of office privacy

Supportive and Caring Corporate Culture

My managers have been very supportive throughout my time with The Universal Group and I do feel very valued as an employee. My managers have recognized my achievements both qualitatively and quantitatively. They have also provided work that has been both challenging and interesting which enabled me to apply my previous knowledge and experience.

Pros

Great Management Team

Horrible staff, rude workers.

They expect you to work 8 hours with no washroom breaks nothing Half of them are screwing all their clients and the other half are screwing you around

Pros

Good wage

Cons

Bad workers bad management

Great company to work for... and with

Worked for valley for 8 years loved it. A lot of travelling but in this industry you will get that with every company. Ladies in dispatch we very accommodating as I have 2 children and am a single parent and they were always understanding when something would come up! Loved my time there !

Working in field is fine, dispatch is a different ball game

Working out on the roads, you see and learn many things about the industry and you meet many wonderful people. Dealing with dispatch on the other hand, is a group of rude, selfish and insensitive girls who don't really care about what happens on our job sites. They pick favourites, they punish those who are not favourites by sending them to low-end jobs, forcing them to come in on days off/ sick days, sending them to very far away jobs, short-handing LCT's and having an overall bad-attitude towards the employees. You MUST grow a thick skin to work in this industry; you are dealing with people in vehicles that could kill you in a heartbeat. I've made countless friends working here, with our contractors and my co-workers, but do some research on what flaggers really have to deal with day-to-day before applying here.

– 6 February 2020
Thank you for your review we are always striving to make our work environment better.

Dispatch are bullies, you are just a number

Working here is probably worst thing you can do . Dispatch is nice in the beginning but if you say "no "at any point or if they get any word you messed up . You will be punished by being sent job they know that will get canceled or job far away from your place . They are a bunch of bullies . Work as a tcp they are nice people most are bullies as well . Pretty much you have to be a yes person and shut up. I would think long and carefully before applying.

– 6 February 2020
We appreciate your review and we are always trying to improve the relationship we have with TCPs

Nice HSO tammy is the best.

All of good people, dispatch is good, HSO is very nice & helpful. But most of senior flagger and lane tech can be rude & bully but we got option of no work order that help to stay away from them.

– 6 February 2020
We are happy to hear that you have had mostly a good experience, but i would like to reach out and say that if you have any concerns please contact us we are always trying to have an open line of communication.

okay to work for. Had problems with coworker

complaints are ignored, should be taken more seriously. work fast paced not stressful. lots of game playing amongst coworkers. Higher ups ignore problems.

– 18 November 2019
Thank you for the feed back we have been working on improving all departments at Valley Traffic

Managment

Honestly this is one of the worst places to work. The play favoritism for sure so if your not a favorite watch out . They do not care about you at you are just a number. They punish threw dispatching . As well as there is no accountability as there are several people in the company that can get away with bullying and they dont do anything as since they are a favorite and they dont do anything about it . I do not recommend working for this company unless you need a short term job .

– 18 November 2019
Your Feed back is greatly appreciated as we are always striving to do better.

Great advancement

Good place to work. Great co-workers, having opportunities to work in different locations, from city of Vancouver to rural areas throughout the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley. Advancement to other positions if desired.

– 20 August 2019
Thank you for your comments your positive experience is great to hear.

Good wage. Dispatch bullies and plays favourites!

If you complain on how far from your home they send you they will penalize you by putting you on call and making you sit at home not working while someone with less seniority goes to work. They play favourites.

– 12 August 2019
Your feed back is greatly appreciated as we are always trying to do better.

Proffessioal

Valley Traffic System is a great company to work for. They are professional and focus on employees needs, example if they are needing time off, working around an appointment, extra work time etc.. Dispatch does a great job at dispatching 100's of employees daily with all the requests and limitations being considered . The office staff will listen to me regarding my concerns , comments, or safety issues that came to light and are always very helpful. Happy I had the opportunity to work for a company as great as they are.

Pros

Proffessional, Great dispatching

– 12 August 2019
Thank you so much for your review we are happy that your experience with us was a positive one.

Exciting work enviroment

I have worked for this company for years and they have been great. They have great benefits for me and my family. There is lots of work to go around and if I ever needed extra money there was almost always over time or weekend work available. The Management/Dispatch team is very accommodating and do their best to work with everyone's schedule and limitations. I have to drop my kids off at daycare in the morning and they always work around my schedule. I would highly recommend Valley Traffic.

Pros

Very Flexible

– 12 August 2019
Your review is valued and we are happy that we have been able to work with your specific needs.

Hours

The money was good, the hours long. You were on call a lot of the time Benefits were decent. Potentially a lot of driving. Depending on were the work is

– 12 August 2019
Thank you for the feedback it is always welcomed and followed up.

If you know what flagging is youll be fine.

If you go into this company knowing what traffic control is you'll be ok, if you go in thinking you'll make money fast you will, but you wont have a life. If you want to move into being a lane Tech that is the only type of job advancement you will have. The job is great if you are prepared for it. Peak season is always the worst as you will constantly hear "were slammed its the busy season" asking you to double shift constantly, with saying that you get what you put in with them not a ounce more, You are always just a number.

– 12 August 2019
We thank you for your review and we have since made changes to our training program.

Soso

Big Traffic control company in Vancouver. Great HR, Dispatch needed some changes. -poor communicationON call basis. no pay just on call...Because of remote are area, I was assigned supervisor and did everything for the business from my home location.*Might as well have owned my own company

Pros

superviser

Cons

dispatch

– 12 August 2019
Thank you for the feed back we strive to always do better as a company.

Horrid. Don’t work for them.

I would recommend any other company. Dispatch does nothing but bully you and put you in unsafe situations. Single lane by yourself for 8+ hours a day. Double book you. If there is an emergency at home you won’t be allowed to leave your site. Run as far as you can from this company! Drama, bullies, your just a number to them. Run far away from this company!

Pros

Sometimes you get a day off (if you ignore their calls)

Cons

Everything!

– 12 August 2019
Thank you for your feed back we are always making changes to better our company.

flagging

This company is a good stable job, The management and dispatchers have room to improve. Benefits don't kick in until a year before probation is up. You are also on call 24/7 and are expected to work when ever they want u to

Fun working with these people, taught me a lot about the job.

Was given a new location everyday after work and called to different locations around the lower mainland. We were sometimes called back to a location which is known as a call back and sometimes stayed at that location for a period of time.

– 12 August 2019
We appreciate your review and we are so happy to hear that you had a positive experience with Valley Traffic Systems.

Horrible Company

This place is horrible to work at. Management is the worst I have ever seen. The co-workers are bully's and think nothing of yelling and swearing at you. It is all accepted by management and brushed off. Very stressful dealing with co-workers but the inexperience of management made the job unbearable. Beware of working for this company!!!

Pros

The day finally ends

Cons

Bully's, poorly managed, one too many "Queen Bees"

– 12 August 2019
Thank you for your review we are always working to be a better company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Universal Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6