The Town of Whitby logo

The Town of Whitby Employee Reviews

4.2
Work-life balance

N/a

Overall a good place to work. Currently going through a lot of modernization changes. Used to have a "boys club" culture but has been moving in the right direction in regards to change.

Constantly berated by full time staff.

Worked there 2 seasons as a temp. Work was okay, got along with most of the staff. Experienced some resentment from some of the full time employees. Bit of a temp bully culture.

Not the Greatest City to work for...

Mostly hire party time workers so they don’t have to pay full time benefits. They’d would rather have 13 part timers working than paying for full timers. Can’t pick schedule, shift are 3.5-5 hr and shifts vary day to day

Pros

Sometimes Friday snacks

Cons

Short hours, no full time, no advancement, management sucks, no balance, no discounts, part time vs full time mentality, layoffs, seasonal

A good place to work

The Town of Whitby is a progressive employer who provides a respectful workplace for it's employees. There are programs in place to address the important aspects of employment such as health and safety and equality in the workplace.

Town of Whitby Camp

Overall great experience and helped strengthen my skill on cooperation. The environment was very positive and understanding. I highly recommend working here.

Productive and fun work place

I think the town of whitby is a fantastic place to work. the staff are very welcoming and easy to get along with. teamwork all around! Job is relativity straight forward, cleaning and dealing with the public.

Adequate

High adjustment from private sector culture, management are family orientated but poorly skilled in matters related to my industry. Politically driven environment unsuitable for merit based decision making.

Fun

Good job. Enjoy going each day and would recommend for people in school looking for a fun, eventful work life. If you need something that will always keep you on your feet this is it.

Would not recommend

The town pays all Youth Leaders the same amount, whether they teach preschool (fast-paced, high stress) or run a youth room (lay around playing video games). Also, unfair opportunities for good hours/schedules/locations. New employees are able to walk right into the shifts with more hours, better schedules and better locations - while current employees are left with the unwanted hours/schedules/locations.

Pros

Good pay - depending on where you work

Cons

Unfair opportunities

Great place to work, like a big family.

Very enjoyable to get out of bed to go to work. Great people and always something going on. Administration stuff seems to drag its feet a bit (new hires, courses, etc.) And usually under staffed for this reason. However we make due. Very relaxed bit when work has to get done everyone does their part. Great people for the most part almost like a second family.

Jobs at The Town of Whitby

See more jobs

Great company to work for

Having the opportunity to work with the town and teach children was a great one! Staff was very friendly and received great support! Most enjoyable part was running my own class

Great summer work for students

The Town of Whitby Summer Camp was a great experience, it was a fun and welcoming work environment. Getting to work every morning was a great time, knowing that I get to make a difference in someone's childhood. Although I was pretty much attacked by the kids every time I walked through the door, it didn't bother me that much because they did it to show they were excited to see me. One of the only downsides is that working with energetic kids all day can be draining.

Pros

Free food, consistent schedule, fun work environment, fast-paced, friendly co-workers

Cons

Very strict policies (One break a week, no/minimal sick or vacation days), longer than typical working hours (7am - 6pm)

Fun job

I had an amazing experience working here. The staff and managers were really nice and easy to talk to. I loved teaching and having fun with each class that I taught.

The staff was frendly and I enjoyed myself

I worked as a counselor in training and enjoyed the people with whom I worked with. I also enjoyed the kids and my responsibility often feeling as part of the team.

Fun workplace and amazing experience with kids

the best part of the volunteering experience is making friends with all the kids and giving the counselors a helping hand. I remember they asked me to come back the next week, so I did.

the town of whitby

It was a nice easy job but I didn't know when I started that you aren't allowed to get a reference from your employer if you leave the job. it was a very independent job

Professional and fun environment to work in.

As an instructor i was working and teaching local youth between the ages of 4 and 12. I coached, created programs and supervised children in the sports of Floor Hockey, Soccer, Badminton, and Basketball. This provided opportunities for me to learn about different ways of thinking, conflict resolution, and leadership skills.

Pros

Good Pay

Great Place To Work

Great work environment, good people and very well managed. Enjoyed my time working here. Dealing with the public a lot can be enjoyable and interesting. Would recommend job for others.

Fun environment with exceptional management

The Town of Whitby is a fun, enthusiastic environment that allows for both personal and professional growth. It is a comfortable environment and management helps maintain that.

Pros

fun enjoyable workplace

Cons

only part time positions in aquatics

Productive, great friendly working environment

The Town of Whitby is a great company to work for, stuff very friendly, you interact with the public which I have not had a problem with. Management is very good. You can always get a hold of them and if you have a problem they are always there to help you out.

Very Professional

Working at the town of Whitby allowed my to gain responsibility and professionalism at a young age. They have high standards and expect their employees to live up to those standards.
  • The Town of Whitby