The Town of Whitby Employee Reviews

Great summer work for students
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON8 July 2019
The Town of Whitby Summer Camp was a great experience, it was a fun and welcoming work environment. Getting to work every morning was a great time, knowing that I get to make a difference in someone's childhood. Although I was pretty much attacked by the kids every time I walked through the door, it didn't bother me that much because they did it to show they were excited to see me. One of the only downsides is that working with energetic kids all day can be draining.
Pros
Free food, consistent schedule, fun work environment, fast-paced, friendly co-workers
Cons
Very strict policies (One break a week, no/minimal sick or vacation days), longer than typical working hours (7am - 6pm)
Fun job
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON23 May 2019
I had an amazing experience working here. The staff and managers were really nice and easy to talk to. I loved teaching and having fun with each class that I taught.
The staff was frendly and I enjoyed myself
Counselor in Training (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON29 April 2019
I worked as a counselor in training and enjoyed the people with whom I worked with. I also enjoyed the kids and my responsibility often feeling as part of the team.
Fun workplace and amazing experience with kids
Counsellor in Training (Former Employee) –  Whitby17 April 2019
the best part of the volunteering experience is making friends with all the kids and giving the counselors a helping hand. I remember they asked me to come back the next week, so I did.
the town of whitby
Adult Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 April 2019
It was a nice easy job but I didn't know when I started that you aren't allowed to get a reference from your employer if you leave the job. it was a very independent job
Professional and fun environment to work in.
SPORTS INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 June 2018
As an instructor i was working and teaching local youth between the ages of 4 and 12. I coached, created programs and supervised children in the sports of Floor Hockey, Soccer, Badminton, and Basketball. This provided opportunities for me to learn about different ways of thinking, conflict resolution, and leadership skills.
Pros
Good Pay
Great Place To Work
Attendant II (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 May 2018
Great work environment, good people and very well managed. Enjoyed my time working here. Dealing with the public a lot can be enjoyable and interesting. Would recommend job for others.
Fun environment with exceptional management
Pool Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 April 2018
The Town of Whitby is a fun, enthusiastic environment that allows for both personal and professional growth. It is a comfortable environment and management helps maintain that.
Pros
fun enjoyable workplace
Cons
only part time positions in aquatics
Productive, great friendly working environment
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 March 2018
The Town of Whitby is a great company to work for, stuff very friendly, you interact with the public which I have not had a problem with. Management is very good. You can always get a hold of them and if you have a problem they are always there to help you out.
Very Professional
Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON18 February 2018
Working at the town of Whitby allowed my to gain responsibility and professionalism at a young age. They have high standards and expect their employees to live up to those standards.
Great Atmosphere
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON8 January 2018
Town of Whitby Camps is a fantastic organization for children to enjoy during the summer. They cater to all ages and provide the children with fun and engaging activities!
productive fun place to work
Engineering Clerk and Clerks Department (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 November 2017
work is always learning something new meting new residents listening to their complaints and trying to help with a solution best possible.

management is down to earth low key personality listens to all concerns,

casual Fridays snack days pot luck
hardest part of the job is the unknown and making sure you deal with very upset residents
Pros
casual fridays
Professional environment, but hard to get an opportunity to move up
Children’s and Youth Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON12 February 2017
Good people, program and environment.

Hard to get stable hours or opportunity to move up.

For part-time, town needs to realize that personal e-mail and communications is not a good idea for privacy and collaboration.

Scheduling also needs a web interface with proper authentication.
Great student job
Parks and Recreation Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 July 2016
One of the best jobs I had as a student throughout university. The atmosphere, pay and team made the summers extremely enjoyable.
Pros
Hours, Pay, Team
Cons
Only a summer position
Great Place to Work
Sports League Convenor (Current Employee) –  Brooklin, ON9 March 2016
Great place to work. Management is very good and accommodating.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with kids to help them develop skills necessary for sports and life.
Great opportunity to learn from my peers about construction inspecting
Construction Inspector I (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON28 November 2015
Fun and supportive workplace from the colleagues and management. Was a great place to start out my career and learn the ropes behind inspecting.
Receptionist
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON23 October 2015
Responsible for providing customer service via telephone and on-line, including dealing effectively with customer complaints and inquiries, explanation of programs, services, policies and procedures regarding health club, fitness, aquatics services and other facilities and/or programs for the Town of Whitby; handling revenue for admissions and program registrations and reconciling daily receipts and deposits; providing clerical support.
Needs to be open to NEW and FRESH ideas!
Yoga Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 September 2015
The Town of Whitby needs to be open to NEW and FRESH ideas and that may need to be at the cost of hiring NEW people (teachers) with FRESH ideas!

Environment is stagnant.
Pros
Great involvement with the Community
Cons
A "cliquesh"and social environment
Productive and enjoyable work environement
Sport Convener and Boot Camp Instructor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 September 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference in children's lives. I want to promote a healthy lifestyle and participation in recreation as it promotes community development.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and enjoyable
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Town of Whitby14 September 2015
I work with some very good people. They had a lot of care for their work. The treatment of animal was very important to all of us. The hard part of the job was putting animals to sleep. The good part was to find an animal a home. Very rewarding. Management was very supportive.Taking people to court was somewhat stressful .A real learning experience
Pros
A lot of your own judgement calls