The Source Employee Reviews

Not a great place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Napanee, ON10 September 2018
The Source, at face value, seems like a great company to work for. The commission structure seems solid and will be told there is plenty of room to advance. After working for this company for close to 5 years, I can tell you this simply is not the case. The Source is a dying company that refuses to pay their employees well, and will not promote from within. The last location I worked at before departing the company went managerless for 5 months (still does not have a manager, and is coming up on a year since it has had one, leaving the staff to pick up the manager work) where I was put into the role of taking care of the manger tasks, with no pay increase. When I applied for the position, I was not considered as I was told I did not have enough experience, but enough for me to do the job for free. Stay away, not a great place, and I do not see it lasting a whole lot longer. Staff was great to work with, company itself and management is the issue here, and it is a glaring issue.
Great for students and part timers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 September 2018
I've learned a lot during my time working at the source. It's a great starting point for people who is interested in sales and students looking for a seasonal job.
Great company to work for
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 September 2018
Really enjoyed working at The Source, feels like a family for me.
Great management, great environment. Was my first retail and work experience in Canada and definitely worth it!
The Source – Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 September 2018
• Worked on numerous certifications that will ensure continued success.
• Used effective communication skills when assisting customers.
• Assisted customers with the purchase of electronic devices using proven sales techniques.
• Helped build strong customer relationships to help ensure ongoing return of consumers.
productive
Sales Supervisor, product Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2018
• Prepared and utilized strategy to develop dealers’ stock price match policy as well as price protection program, resulting lower in–house inventory of %17 while working for Suzuki Technology
Solid place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS30 August 2018
I worked there for 3 years and loved it. Sales targets were sometimes tough to hit and I made more money when I started. All in all I would go back if need be.
fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2018
Every day is different you have to be ready to be on point with new prices and promotions. fun to play with some of the product. Good discount on products.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC28 August 2018
Treated me like family, always wanted to wake up and get to work early.. always new things to learn. taught me how not to be shy and come out of my shell and how to become a better salesperson!
Pros
Great coworkers and friendly all over Canada
Productive with High sale goals
Team Lead Sales (Keyholder) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2018
Constantly looking to hit your goals on a daily basis

Learned lots about sales and customer behavior

Management can be overwhelming but creating a relationship with management is what will set you up for success.

Very laid back, lots to do and plenty of room for conversation about life and work.

Hardest part is definitely hitting your goals on short notice. But is very rewarding once done
Good Place to work
Wireless Expert (Sales Associate, Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2018
The Source is good place for work. Specially for students who wants part time job. At Source you will get better environment and almost everyday you will know about new electronics including cellphones.
Basic pay with commission.

Want to know more about The Source?

Ask a question
Difficult for students
Oracle developer (Former Employee) –  Seneca College24 August 2018
Working at The Source has provided me with various experiences. I have gained very good communication, teamwork, management skills. I communicated with customers effectively, gathered information about their lifestyle and liked that information to my sales. However, the companies policies about the employees' availability are messed up. It's very hard for students to manage work and attend school at the same time. The policy about availability is not flexible at all. It asks for a minimum 4 days availability even for parttime positions. But when you give them the availability, you get scheduled for very poor hours. Because the company has to maintain the efficiency of schedules over 80%. One other thing is the benefits. You only get 50% insurance coverage even if you work more than 35 hours a week.
Great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON16 August 2018
They have amazing staff never give up on their employees they are always their to give you a hand if you need it they will always help you there the hardest of situations
Worst job ever
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON12 August 2018
The company is a complete joke, management doesn't care about you. typical underpaid overworked environment. i watched 15 difference associates be hired and fired within one year because they didn't sell enough. oh and this was at the slowest location. i spent 3 years with this company and was never treated with respect. no seniority, no advancement opportunities. they tell you to take extra unpaid roles to better your chances of advancement and then take away positions. worst company structure.. worst company ever.
Pros
commission plus base
Cons
management. treatment. disrespect. organization.
very productive workplace
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2018
Typical day at work was unpredictable, could be busy or slow. i learned how behind the scenes of a store works, while working in stock was a great way to really appreciate the work of technology.
fun work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Perth, ON8 August 2018
great fun place to work if you enjoy tech, learn alot about sales and targets. never move up in the company if you're a hard worker though, they want lazy managers who are good at nothing but selling people stuff they don't need
Best retail job in terms of salary, benefits, work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2018
The Source is a love it or hate it workplace. If you're a people person, good with connecting with individuals and have a bit of sales talent, you'll do very well.

The Source is a sales job. Unlike Best Buy, The Source offers its employees commissions, spiffs, bonuses and incentives to perform. This means however that, there are quotas, and increasing pressure to perform if you're not selling up to standard.

The job itself is not very taxing. The cardio you get is pretty good from walking back and forth all day (I average 1KM per hour). Like any customer service job, it's your patience that will really be tested. Be it with cranky, entitled, know-it-all but somehow don't know anything customers or with helicopter trainers that come by at least once a week.

There are several ways to sell at The Source, each with its own quotas and standards. Primarily, it's Bell residential services (The Source is owned by Bell). Second its cellphones and plan activations (also from Bell). Finally, the miscellaneous stuff, warranties, phone insurance, email collection, etc...

The hardest part of the job is learning how to stay motivated and focused when facing constant rejection. You may deal with 30 customers in a day but you'll be lucky to even sell the big ticket stuff to one person.

FInally, I will say that for the most part, I find that the trainers that come by to "coach" us are hardly useful. This is because they're usually standing within 4 feet of you and watching you like a hawk to make sure you're "selling" to the customer you're talking to. This is a pain in the
  more... butt, because unlike The Source's management team likes to make you think, not every customer is worth it. Sure you "miss 100% of the shots you don't take" (sales management loves this cliche Gretzky quote), but you also miss your chances with the worthwhile customers while wasting time trying to sell a smartphone to an old lady that barely knows how to work the buttons in an elevator.  less
Pros
Awesome commissions and bonuses, if you sell well, you can easily double your hourly
Cons
Incessant trainers, disconnect with upper management
Trying to do a lot with a little
Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 August 2018
- Excellent President & CEO
- A lot of change in the last few years, some VPs not equipped to manage well through it.
- Slim budgets, even slimmer staff. The expectation is to produce a lot in terms of results with very little.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Small Budgets / Lack of Resources
Loved it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Picton, ON21 July 2018
Working at the source was a great experience. I got to learn so much about different and new technology and helped customers with sales and technical issues. Theres something new to do everyday
if you like discounts on tech and mobility/home service it's okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 July 2018
the environment is fun if you have a good manager/coworkers, but the lack of loyalty or the constant worry of getting transferred isn't worth it IMO, commission is good if you are at a store that actually has a good amount of sales otherwise it's your basic PT minimum wage job.

always met my goals, yet transferred 3 times in half a year.
Pros
Commission, Coworkers, Discounts
Cons
Lack of ability to advance, zero loyalty, always getting transferred
Customers are fun, great on-boarding
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS10 July 2018
Used to be a great place to work. As Bell took over, it progressively became more about selling Bell than doing what's right for the customer. No pay increases (cost of living or performance based raises)

We pull from the greater Bell organization for promotions and don't develope our own people. The company standards are only enforced on the people in the store. Anyone working outside the store(district managers, store support centre etc) the standards are not enforced upon.

As a store manager I spend more time selling than managing results because our stores are all understaffed and our associates are overworked.
Pros
Co-workers, part-time benefits, decent pay if you are in a top preforming Store
Cons
No job advancement, no full-time, do no promote from within

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Source. Our community is ready to answer.