The Source Employee Reviews

Just a terrible terrible experience over my 2 years
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 October 2018
I worked at head office for 2 years. I had 4 different roles during my time there and each and every time, the job, as described was not accurate as to what the job actually was. Management talk behind your back and then berate you to your face. If you approach HR, you are not supported (infact, I was told I I don't like it I can leave- and this is when I raised legitamate concerns of terrible treatment from the Management team)
Near the end, when I finally had to leave for my mental health, I would approach the building in tears from stress.

The only two quazi positive things I could say about this place is that the pay is decent (not wonderful) but decent and the have a great cafeteria.
Pros
Cafeteria has good food
Cons
Just a negative and somewhat abusive environment.
Difficult for students
Oracle developer (Former Employee) –  Seneca College24 August 2018
Working at The Source has provided me with various experiences. I have gained very good communication, teamwork, management skills. I communicated with customers effectively, gathered information about their lifestyle and liked that information to my sales. However, the companies policies about the employees' availability are messed up. It's very hard for students to manage work and attend school at the same time. The policy about availability is not flexible at all. It asks for a minimum 4 days availability even for parttime positions. But when you give them the availability, you get scheduled for very poor hours. Because the company has to maintain the efficiency of schedules over 80%. One other thing is the benefits. You only get 50% insurance coverage even if you work more than 35 hours a week.
Customers are fun, great on-boarding
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS10 July 2018
Used to be a great place to work. As Bell took over, it progressively became more about selling Bell than doing what's right for the customer. No pay increases (cost of living or performance based raises)

We pull from the greater Bell organization for promotions and don't develope our own people. The company standards are only enforced on the people in the store. Anyone working outside the store(district managers, store support centre etc) the standards are not enforced upon.

As a store manager I spend more time selling than managing results because our stores are all understaffed and our associates are overworked.
Pros
Co-workers, part-time benefits, decent pay if you are in a top preforming Store
Cons
No job advancement, no full-time, do no promote from within
Very high pressure for minimum wage pay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 June 2018
They no longer promote from within. Only hire Management externally than expect full or part time associates to train their supervisors.
Lots of pressure to sell and unrealistic goals. Basically if you don’t sell expect to be put on a performance improvement plan than you can quit or be let go.
The Source lacks leadership and training. No explanations for anything, “if you don’t like it leave” mentality. Store managers are held very accountable for every single metric in their store regardless to what is happening around them. Little to no support is given when associates quit and the stores are short staffed or struggling.
As a manager you can expect to be glued to your phone 24/7 dealing with e-mails other stores asking for help and associates asking how to process sales. No extra compensation for your time either.
Targets are getting higher and commission payouts are getting lower. Seems like the company is struggling. If you want commission and like wireless I’d work directly for bell instead of the Source.
Pros
Commission
Cons
District managers, negative environment, unrealistic targets
You have to be a dolphing in order to swing with those sharks
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 April 2018
At the time that I was working here there was minimum wage salary plus commission so people had to compete against each other to provide food for home.

I learned a lot about sales and customer service and how to prepare yourself to be a better sales associate, in order to have satisfied customer you have to study a lot your products and service, we used to sale cellphones and contracts of service, that was interesting, getting certified to sales cellphones, we did a lot of e learning.
Pros
It is a great School to learn sales and customer service
Cons
I really prefer to reserve my opinion about this topic
very slow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2018
I worked at the source in the women's shoes department for a few months. It was a very good learning experience as i was able to deal with many customers and learn about how the customer always comes first.It was also nice working in commission because i was able to determine my own salary depending on how much sales i did. I left because the hours became too much with school.
Great place to work as long as you do your job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB14 May 2018
Working here is great, just do your job and you are rewarded with praise and pay that you deserve.
Fun and enjoyable workplace along with amazing like minded coworkers.
Great opportunity to grow in the company as long as you prove your worth.
Pros
Commission, discounts
Cons
It’s either you work too few hours or too many.
Awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK9 July 2018
awesome place to work great staff and really really robust training process for sales and work ethics. Pay is low but plus incentive and compensation its really competitive.
Worst job ever
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON12 August 2018
The company is a complete joke, management doesn't care about you. typical underpaid overworked environment. i watched 15 difference associates be hired and fired within one year because they didn't sell enough. oh and this was at the slowest location. i spent 3 years with this company and was never treated with respect. no seniority, no advancement opportunities. they tell you to take extra unpaid roles to better your chances of advancement and then take away positions. worst company structure.. worst company ever.
Pros
commission plus base
Cons
management. treatment. disrespect. organization.
Job Depends Entirely on Staffing
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON26 January 2018
I like my job at the Source, but this position is only for you if you enjoy constantly being rated by your manager and district manager. They expect unrealistic results from all staff and will write you up if you do not constantly perform above results. Multiple months of my employment, my coworkers and I performed above target and were told we need to have higher results than we had. The enjoyment on the job is based entirely on who you are scheduled with. If you are fortunate enough to have good coworkers, then you will like your job here. If you are not, the job is absolutely miserable from start to finish.
Pros
Health benefits, commission
Cons
Bad management structure
Not a great place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Napanee, ON10 September 2018
The Source, at face value, seems like a great company to work for. The commission structure seems solid and will be told there is plenty of room to advance. After working for this company for close to 5 years, I can tell you this simply is not the case. The Source is a dying company that refuses to pay their employees well, and will not promote from within. The last location I worked at before departing the company went managerless for 5 months (still does not have a manager, and is coming up on a year since it has had one, leaving the staff to pick up the manager work) where I was put into the role of taking care of the manger tasks, with no pay increase. When I applied for the position, I was not considered as I was told I did not have enough experience, but enough for me to do the job for free. Stay away, not a great place, and I do not see it lasting a whole lot longer. Staff was great to work with, company itself and management is the issue here, and it is a glaring issue.
Poorly Managed
Program Director & Chief Architect (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 November 2018
No originality, no product differentiation, home brand quality is really bad and pricing is not competitive. Don't know how they survive... There are better places to work as there is no real room for advancement!
Pros
it is a job
Cons
not worth the effort to list anything
Great company with great people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Perth, ON17 January 2018
The Source is a fantastic and supportive company to work for. They provide excellent benefits even for part time employees. The hours are flexible (within reason) and the management on both store level and higher is very supportive. It's an excellent place to work if you've got the drive to do it.
Pros
Bell Employee discount, excellent health insurance and benefits.
Cons
Variable scheduling, can uave high pressure quotas.
productive workplace, friendly and nice lunchroom
E-Commerce Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 November 2018
great workplace attitude, helpful staff to newcomers, and an excellent lunchroom/cafeteria since its a head office. Management was excellent and the smaller french population made the culture feel expansive.
Great people to work with, high work standards.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warman, SK30 December 2018
I would recommend people to work here, though expect average pay for things that require more attention to detail.
Management and higher management did not set good examples. Sub Par management, mediocre pay.
Pros
Customers we more understanding
Cons
poor management and managers.
Lots of support from management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 June 2018
Not much work life balance. Expected to work every saturday as a standard.

Lots of chance to make money, higher than average commissions on sales for wireless.

Lots of paid training. Management is there to support you.
it was ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 November 2018
the source was an ok job. To be honest the there wasn't really and culture when I was working there. also management wasn't really the best. also they really push sales
Productive with High sale goals
Team Lead Sales (Keyholder) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2018
Constantly looking to hit your goals on a daily basis

Learned lots about sales and customer behavior

Management can be overwhelming but creating a relationship with management is what will set you up for success.

Very laid back, lots to do and plenty of room for conversation about life and work.

Hardest part is definitely hitting your goals on short notice. But is very rewarding once done
more work, less recognition
Sales Associate - Wireless Expert - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia2 October 2017
you do alot of work in the company, yes you work on commissiom, but there is virtually no chance of you getting your hourly wage up. they also seem to care more about phone sales then if the associates are actually feeling well sometimes. yes even as a part timer you can get benefits but you have to maintain a certain amount hours per week to keep them. management should really look more into how their relationship with the people that work in the stores to be honest
Pros
commission and spiffs
Cons
long hours little pay
Airport Location
Electronic Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2018
-Airport security and criminal background check needed.
-Slow and very little commission for this location.
-Airport food is expensive.
-Bell Canada shared parent company benefits
Pros
discounts
Cons
Slow customer traffic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Source. Our community is ready to answer.