The Source Employee Reviews

Customers are fun, great on-boarding
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS10 July 2018
Used to be a great place to work. As Bell took over, it progressively became more about selling Bell than doing what's right for the customer. No pay increases (cost of living or performance based raises)

We pull from the greater Bell organization for promotions and don't develope our own people. The company standards are only enforced on the people in the store. Anyone working outside the store(district managers, store support centre etc) the standards are not enforced upon.

As a store manager I spend more time selling than managing results because our stores are all understaffed and our associates are overworked.
Pros
Co-workers, part-time benefits, decent pay if you are in a top preforming Store
Cons
No job advancement, no full-time, do no promote from within
Awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK9 July 2018
awesome place to work great staff and really really robust training process for sales and work ethics. Pay is low but plus incentive and compensation its really competitive.
Productive and fun place
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 July 2018
very productive place, learnt a lot, hit sales targets.
more the sales, more the pay.
They also pay the base pay plus incentives.
a little stress to hit targets but its fun to work.
Lots of support from management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 June 2018
Not much work life balance. Expected to work every saturday as a standard.

Lots of chance to make money, higher than average commissions on sales for wireless.

Lots of paid training. Management is there to support you.
slow and long days
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Quispamsis, NB21 June 2018
days can be slow with the location being out of the way, tryig to keep busy is hard but learning about all the new product is pretty fun, over all the management was a shift when i worked there and things were hectic
Very high pressure for minimum wage pay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 June 2018
They no longer promote from within. Only hire Management externally than expect full or part time associates to train their supervisors.
Lots of pressure to sell and unrealistic goals. Basically if you don’t sell expect to be put on a performance improvement plan than you can quit or be let go.
The Source lacks leadership and training. No explanations for anything, “if you don’t like it leave” mentality. Store managers are held very accountable for every single metric in their store regardless to what is happening around them. Little to no support is given when associates quit and the stores are short staffed or struggling.
As a manager you can expect to be glued to your phone 24/7 dealing with e-mails other stores asking for help and associates asking how to process sales. No extra compensation for your time either.
Targets are getting higher and commission payouts are getting lower. Seems like the company is struggling. If you want commission and like wireless I’d work directly for bell instead of the Source.
Pros
Commission
Cons
District managers, negative environment, unrealistic targets
very slow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2018
I worked at the source in the women's shoes department for a few months. It was a very good learning experience as i was able to deal with many customers and learn about how the customer always comes first.It was also nice working in commission because i was able to determine my own salary depending on how much sales i did. I left because the hours became too much with school.
Great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB5 June 2018
Working at The Source was a great experience for me because I worked with so many great people over the last few years and learned so much regarding electronics such as what consists of a good laptop or TV, about new cellphones coming out as well as general things regarding different parts to electronics and how to solve many issues with different electronic devices.
Not the best experience. Meet insane goals or get out
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON1 June 2018
Forced to meet insane sales goals, and only focus on one thing, selling mobile plans, which doesn't help when the demographic for the area are elderly, and only want a battery. Doesn't matter if you have the highest numbers elsewhere, all they care about are cell phones. Training is a joke. I understand self-training, but when employees are forced to try and learn certain tools without any hands-on experience, it makes for a laughable training system. No one will hold your hand and help you, even if, for lack of a better word, you start to sink. If you are a self starter, this might be the job for you, because you will be dropped in on your first shift with no one there to help you, even if you cannot handle it.
Pros
Commission-based environment
Productive and interesting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS28 May 2018
- Learned a lot about everyday technology and how to troubleshoot some of the tech as well as some apps such as email.
- Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the information.
- Management was easy going and was able to effectively communicate in which areas I excelled and in which areas I needed to improve
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC27 May 2018
Our days would consist of stocking and reorganizing shelves, plan-o-grams. Selling products and training when necessary. The most enjoyable was working with the people of the company, where as the hardest would be having to tell people about their credit when purchasing mobile devices.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Great place to work as long as you do your job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB14 May 2018
Working here is great, just do your job and you are rewarded with praise and pay that you deserve.
Fun and enjoyable workplace along with amazing like minded coworkers.
Great opportunity to grow in the company as long as you prove your worth.
Pros
Commission, discounts
Cons
It’s either you work too few hours or too many.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, NS10 May 2018
Great place to work with lots of fun things to do during a shift. The knowledge and technology that you gain while working here is extraordinary. The focus of the job is wireless and residential services which are primarily Bell.
loved working there and was always fun!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC29 April 2018
working at the source was always a good day and i got to learn how to hook up cell phone plans and upgrade/order things online for customers. my boss was always there to help me with new things and upgrade the phones when i needed it.

the hardest part of job was not knowing some of the things that people were asking for.

the best part of my job was knowing i could upsell really well and earn bonuses for the company and myself.
Pros
the people i worked with
Cons
when it was slow there was nothing to do
Fun place with great co-workers
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 April 2018
Only worked at the source for a few months but i had fun there. My co-workers are great people and so was the manager. Training was great and I learnt a lot with communicating with customers better.
Enjoyable but not adaptive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON13 April 2018
My review is as followed; if you have a good team it's a great time. The company is focused on too many metrics in my opinion making for unnecessary stress on employees.
You have to be a dolphing in order to swing with those sharks
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 April 2018
At the time that I was working here there was minimum wage salary plus commission so people had to compete against each other to provide food for home.

I learned a lot about sales and customer service and how to prepare yourself to be a better sales associate, in order to have satisfied customer you have to study a lot your products and service, we used to sale cellphones and contracts of service, that was interesting, getting certified to sales cellphones, we did a lot of e learning.
Pros
It is a great School to learn sales and customer service
Cons
I really prefer to reserve my opinion about this topic
productive and fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC5 April 2018
if you do well with customer service its a great job. uyou have to be ready to work as soon as you get there as it is commission based.
there is pressure on meeting targets though. you do have to sell x amount of phones per month and there are stats you have to reach every month. at the end of your three month probation you get a 300 dollar bonus for being with the company. after 6 months you are eligible for heath care.
Great place to work fun and exciting
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 April 2018
Great place love my time here. But now there is no career opportunity here. No FT unless your managment and they got rid of all the assistant manager positions.
tech was fun but boss out to lunch
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB27 March 2018
boss expected you to make so many cell phone sales but when you tried to sell one he would push you aside and steal your sale. often got called to help during my unpaid lunch because he was busy. learning about the new tech was fun though.
Pros
new tech knowledge
Cons
stolen commissions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Source. Our community is ready to answer.