The Source Employee Reviews

Productive and fun environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Goderich, ON25 March 2019
While working here there was a very good environment based around a goal driven company. There was a great work/life balance, and management was always understanding and helpful.
Not Worth It
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB15 March 2019
When I began my job @ The Source the store was without a manager. Myself and 3 other associates were running the store on our own, all but one of us having less than 1 year in the store. The coworker that had been there for over a year was in charge or many tasks beyond his responsibilities and performed excellently.

After 2 months we had a new manager come in and he decided that he wouldn't allow my coworker with over 1 year experience in the company and many months of running the store on his own to even comment on his activity or attempt to help him with his training, show him the ropes etc. He continued to put down my coworker and claim he did not know what he was talking about until he had been treated badly to the point that he transferred to another store.

I've watched another coworker be forced into quitting by this manager by scheduling him purposely during his classes at University and claiming he is unable to accommodate any outside schedule although he was told he would be accommodated upon hiring. I also had myself and others questioned upon calling in sick and even been forced to allow him to "touch your head" to confirm fever.

Working under this manager is nearly impossible as nothing is ever good enough for him. The Source is a small store with now 3 associates total and he continues to run in like it is a Big Box Store instead of being in any way personable. 3 people have been hired and quit since I started at this location.

Daily I was met with negative messages from this manager. If a single sale tag out of two hundred is missed and left on
  more... the floor a day beyond expiry we receive a photo of the tag and a long text about why its unacceptable behavior. If we leave our water or keys in the back room, the same thing will happen. One time I took all the garbage out and left one item in the garbage can that had been put there after the fact and received word that it was unacceptable behavior.

At The Source you receive a target to hit for the month. This target is always reasonable and based off the numbers the store did in the previous year. Each time my store received a target this manager would double whatever the number is and tell us we must hit that instead. (Assumingly because as I later found out, he receives a monthly pay bonus if we are above target)

This manager when coaching you weekly points out only the flaws in your performance and will never meet you with a word of encouragement or even a simple "good work". At the point of my 3 month review I was written up at he lowest level possible when I have consistently hit my target and built my own base of customer loyalty. Each month I am told and threatened that I have 1 more month to prove myself or I will be let go. I was never allowed to see what as written about me in my weekly reviews and was simply told to sign them.

On a daily basis we are ridiculed and picked on. If each and every customer isnt pitched a cell phone in the day you will receive a lecture on your performance, doesn't matter if you know you've done a phone for them recently or not. Every person that walks in the store is expected to be given the sales pitch over and over, even when they come in every day.

Commission is the only reason to stay at this job as they do pay well when you sell a phone. Although other companies do pay higher ie. Rogers employees etc.

Selling products in the store isn't important. You are measured on your cell phones only. Unfortunately 90% of customers come in unaware this store deals with Cell Phones to begin with and are looking for small items RadioShack carried before we took over.

Overall not worth your time and energy for the recognition you will receive.
Pros
Commission
Cons
No respect from management, no flexible hours, lack of training
Not a good place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 March 2019
Management is very biased towards individual employees and there is not enough cultural diversity within the company. Would never go back to work there
It was a good experience
Seasonal sale associate (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL7 March 2019
The source was my first job. It was not an easy job but I kept up with the pace, meeting the sales quotas needed. There was a lot of stocking, and lifting. I spend most of the time on my feet.
fun place to work at
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2019
overall a good company if you want to make extra money. Good AIPs and Bonuses.
hardest part of the job is difficult customers. they fail to understand that we dont own the company , we just have to follow the policies.
Lots of slow days
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 March 2019
Working with the co-workers was fun but there were a lot of slow days while working there. Manager was really helpful and always made sure we were the best looking store.
Pros
Comissions from phone sales
Cons
Not a lot of sales during the weekday
No job security
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2019
Only really care about selling bell services. Good luck getting more than 15 hours a week unless you're full time. Sales get stolen, managers don't care abiut anything but targets, but then again they are being breathed down upon by people breathing down on them and so on.

Lose your job for not hitting your sales targets, among other things. No job security!

Some employees were awesome, nice to get advice from, others were snappy and uncaring.

Benefits for those who work 25 hours a week on average but again, good luck with that.

Managers can be fired on the spot for not hitting sales quotas just like regular employees.

Vacation for employees is also available which is paid. It's great.
Pros
Commission, benefits, awesome coworkers
Cons
super short shifts, not a steady schedule, not a working wage, very competitive
productive / learn new tech / updated with upcoming offers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 February 2019
a great experience to work at the source as you learn how to adapt and learn more about the customers needs and wants by leading them to the right product, learning how to cross-sell home/personal/business services with Bell Canada by pitching it in a smooth way to gain full trust that I'm looking to help out the customer by offering a better service.
Pros
Excellent potential compensation for hitting targets, excellent environment to develop management skills.
Cons
Heavy work load, Long hours, conflicting demands between head office and regional supervisors, earned more money working as an Assistant Manager.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB22 February 2019
Loved working here, however we did get new management often and it seemed to threaten your job security. Rules changed every-time as did your hours and days off which is understandable. I was one of the top sales employees when i started and strive to do my best each and everyday. The only reason why i quit is because i went from opening the store every morning and having 40hr/week to working mid-shift and having 15hr/week with no explanation as to why i was told it was because of hours being cut through out the company but non of my fellow employees had theirs cut as dramatically as mine were. Other than that i have no complaints about the company they are great to work for, great discounts and awesome benefits, also you get to play with new technology all day which was great.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Hours get cut with no explanation
Do not take a job at The Source
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB17 February 2019
Do NOT take a job at The Source. It is not a consumer electronics store. It’s a trap to get people to sign up for Bell and Virgin wireless services. It seems like a cool company at first, but it is a greasy business. Worse than car salesmen. Associates can’t care about customers or what they came into the store for, all you can care about it is selling them a cell phone.
Pros
35% of your cell phone bill.
Cons
Being a terrible human being to others.
Not at all a fun environment to work. Politics is the key to survive!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  BC11 February 2019
They are only bothered about people who are selling cell phones and leadership is a joke over there. Higher management is only worried about their quotas and nothing else. There are no chances to grow within the company and customer service is a big joke because leaders keep changing and it's a complete mockery of people management. Leaders are not people friendly and don't care about people. they are just worried about monthly quota and being in green.
Workplace culture is the worst as leaders/higher management don't help in coming out of a situation and moreover dig dirt on subleaders.
Highly not recommended to work.
Ottawa, crooked management
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2019
Pay is pretty good with comission but alot of work and upper management goes behind your back. Fired without cause because my assistant manager "Joe" blow was comiting fraud and management does anything to keep from not losing money
Pros
Comission
Cons
Terrible management
Fantastic Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 January 2019
The atmosphere is amazing, people are great. If you know how to sell, you get your money's worth, you just have to be willing to learn. The managers give you the tools to thrive
Great people ...too much competition
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2019
The Source is good. If you love to meet people you will love it here. The staff are great but at the end of the day everyone is fighting for what gets into their pocket. The competition was too keen and tending towards rivalry. You'd see assosiates fighting over customers in a bid to sell products. Focus was 95% on selling Bell residential service and mobility. The electronics parts was not anything close .
Personally I couldn't cope with the continued rivalry..and there was the part where nationality became another issue. Language barrier. Some staff took advantage of language to 'take'away your customer!

If you like very keen competition and you are good at selling ...go for it !
Pros
Flexible time schedule.
Cons
Unhealthy Competition and rivalry
Very comfortable work environment and work procedure was very structured to learn and grow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2019
The work area which was a sales outlet was filled with a lot of latest electronics gadgets organised in shelves in very organised way to retrieve them easily. Very user friendly point of sales software to operate for executing sales. Every employee needs to wear company provided uniform. Attractive compensation packages and opportunity to participate in attractive competitive competitions to generate new ideas for products and sales. The winning idea gets a good reward.
Pros
Very attractive work environment
Cons
Provide very little working hour
Great job with good government
Junior Mobile Analyst CO-OP (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 January 2019
Direct Care Professional (Current Employee) – Fort Collins, CO – November 13, 2018
Sample Supports is a fantastic company with transparency across entry-level and management positions, good communication between teams, and a unifying love of clientele.

If you want a job where you have trouble describing to friends and family exactly what you do, but know that you love doing it, this is the place.

This company runs on quick thinking, passion, and improvisation. The nature of the work demands that plans be redefined, and the flow be rolled with.
Not what they said
Client relations Regional Trainer GTA (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 January 2019
Although I enjoyed my time I came in at a time where the company was just being purchased by bell. There was a lot of talk and not a lot of follow through. There were internal struggles between management and it felt like you were the trophy that each manager was fighting for. Not at all like it was made out to be. I started in one area then I was moved to another area, then taken to another group to help complete training. The 2 training groups were at odds about which was better, they ended up doing a company wide organization in which good people with tenor were replaced without a thought.
Pros
able to work remotely
Cons
too much politics
Good until Issues become involved
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 January 2019
Was a very fun job at first, Good pay most times boring with no one around but sometimes fun when the right people came. The manger was pretty cool sometime but acted fake and other employees were great but then there were days that were bad days. A few times seen the same employee and the manger have yelling matches at each other and hit/throw things. It really makes you very uncomfortable because you couldn't talk to either one of them until they "cooled down" Trying to take time off was hard. Even months or three weeks in advance for an example Booked days off for doctor appointments but would schedule you on but then not have you on days you were good to work on and would tell ya "To bad show up to work or quit easy to replace you" So many times having to reschedule appointments it was just annoying. Learned 4 months after the fact working there they switched me to seasonal because someone dropped out of school and didn't quit but then quit a month after but anyways ended up just quitting because had to miss 5 day due to medical issues (first days I would have missed in 5 months had doctors notes, etc) After seeing the texts and miss calls everyday he checking up on me also asking family about me. it was just to far and didnt wanna put up with it Hopefully you don't work at the source unless you got a different manager.

(Sorry for spelling errors didn't put much time into it just wanted to tell you before you get shocked from everything like I did)
Pros
Pay And Winter Hours
Cons
Bad Management
Great Working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON7 January 2019
Great co-workers and a lot of new things to learn. Technology is rapidly evolving and in todays society it is very important to know what's going on in the technological world and this job helped me a lot.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
The store was not too busy
Many Opportunies to learn about the products and services offered
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 January 2019
The company offered a large amount of information and experience within the retail field and strongly assisted in understanding the products and services that are offered by the company.
Pros
Strong comission
Cons
Flexibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Source. Our community is ready to answer.