The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa Employee Reviews

Fun, busy place to work with great atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BC30 April 2019
This place provides a great atmosphere and learning environment for those who have worked in the industry and those who want to get started. There is always help when you ask for it, and everyone works their shifts as a team working towards the same goal, happy customers. We are always making room for improvement and having worked here for several months I’ve already learned a lot about the restaurant business.
Pros
Benefits, free gym, employee discounts
Vibrant, welcoming and inclusive place of work
Guest Experience Agent (Current Employee) –  The Sidney Pier Hotel and Spa14 April 2019
This is my 10th year working at The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa in both a full-time and part-time capacity. The Pier is a vibrant, welcoming, inclusive place of employment. Staff are supported, recognized and encouraged to bring themselves to the workplace, which has resulted in an upbeat, diverse, multi-generational community of employees who genuinely enjoy what they do. This is reflected in the delivery of outstanding customer service to visitors to the town of Sidney. The hotel offers meaningful benefits (bus passes, extended health/dental) as well as perks, free gym membership, discounts to rooms and services, and team building events.
I have found the management to have an open door policy, that promotes a culture of recognizing and celebrating effort and new ideas. There is a 'Service Miles' program that encourages recognition of a team member who delivers the hotel's Mission, Vision and Values, through positive action, and going the extra mile. Service miles can be given to any one on the staff team by their peers or management, and the 'miles' can be redeemed into gift cards and other gifts. I really appreciate that this promotes a culture of always looking for the good in each other.
Pros
Positive team culture. Inclusive.
Cons
Work has never been so ENJOYABLE!
Hostess/Busser (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BC2 April 2019
I have been working in the restaurant outlet of the hotel for over a year now and I love it! It is great working in the environment of the hotel as there are so many benefits, such as an included gym membership! The people I work with are like family to me and I am so grateful to have met them. Work itself never gets boring and I know at the Pier we give the best customer service which is rewarding for myself and to the customers. The management is great and very approachable/friendly! The most enjoyable part of my job is either making people's experience at the restaurant the best, or attending the lovely staff parties. The fantastic view is also a plus!! (watching whales pass by at work is incredible)
Pros
gym membership, great co-workers, always fun
Fun environment with great perks!
Server (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BC21 March 2019
The restaurant has a great crew and always willing to help. The ambiance is very modern and positive. Wonderful benefits and flexible scheduling! Happy to be working here!
Pros
Hotel benefits, health benefits, staff meals
Dream job!
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BC15 March 2019
I only started working at the Sidney pier hotel this past summer, and it was the dream part time job I didn’t know I needed in my life. After leaving the spa industry to be a stay at home mom for 3 years, it was time to get back in the game and after applying to haven spa I quickly got an interview and was hired!
The flexibility they offer is amazing and they are so accommodating to my needs when life happens, especially with kids.
I love everyone I work with actually enjoy waking up to go to work !
I find our manager to be the most caring, accommodating, fun and down to earth manager I’ve ever had and she truly makes work beyond enjoyable.
Pros
Lots of work perks
Cons
Slow days
Productive and fun workplace!
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 March 2019
I love working at The Pier!
It has great opportunities amongst all departments to expand, learn and grow. Beautiful waterfront location in a quirky small town. The hotel definitely offers many incentives such as fun staff events and activities along with great benefits (health/dental etc) along with discounts in outlets (spa, restaurant, cafe and bus pass). Friendly management whom are open to always listening and being involved. Everyday at work is different, and get to interact with many different people including locals.
Lots of great changes over the beginning year, I look forward to being apart of many more!
Always welcoming and great team culture
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BC14 March 2019
I have been at The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa for over 5 years now. I have had the opportunity to grow within the company until I became a outlet manager.
The ownership and management of the company is completely hands on, supportive and always positive.
Pros
Team work, opportunity to grow and positive culture
Great coworkers, terrible management
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC4 November 2017
When I first started working in the cafe it was great with a team but about 6 months in our management turned over and the new management didn't seem to care about what happened with the cafe.
Advancement was given to employees who didn't deserve it or work for it, and when problems were discussed with management they brushed them off. Such as sexism and work place atmosphere and the management openly resented me for bringing up the problems in the first place.
It's a shame because the hotel was a great place to work until management changed and the care for employees in the food and beverage department seemed to be nonexistent.
Pros
Great coworkers and team atmosphere
Cons
Management is terrible
Management Axed 10 people in a single day!
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC29 April 2017
Loved working here until the manager and owner decided to unfairly fire approximately 10 of his mid-level managers in one fell swoop. It was very demoralising to see this happen to good people who deserved their jobs. The reason for doing this? The business was not "making enough money." This hotel does not care about its employees. Beware!
Pros
Work at a nice hotel
Cons
Unfair management practices, low wages
Terrible Management
Barista (Former Employee) –  Food and Beverage26 August 2016
Management does not listen to it's employees, treats it's employees unfairly, does not appreciate or take into consideration anything it's employees have to say, will not listen to suggestions, very poor management in the food in beverage section of the hotel, the extremely high turnover rate is evidence of this (6 people left within one month). If employees felt valued and respected they would probably stay at this job for longer but being paid minimum wage and being treated extremely poorly gives no incentive to continue with this company.
Pros
Tips (low amount)
Cons
Horrible, demeaning management.
The people are good and friendly.
Night Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BC22 April 2015
The job is a tedious job working a graveyard shift. The only consolation I have is my permanent position and stable job placement. The Management is good and supportive and I am enjoying in a quite atmosphere. We have extended health benefits and we are being paid 2.5% on Statutory holidays.
Pros
Complimentary ticket for lunch on birthday be a guests benefit at the hotel, discounts on hotels spa, restaurant and other gift items.t
Cons
Increase in salary is slow.
Excellent Workplace!
Room & Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC29 January 2013
I loved my job as a housekeeper at this beautiful hotel, Its clean, friendly, and the benefits are awesome. Very organized departments and in house laundry, and the guests are always in a good mood.
Pros
free lunch, transit discount, gym discount
Cons
hotel only has 52 rooms